Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bear grylls

Options
  • 21-07-2009 11:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭

is anyone watching bear on discovery, the one where he shows you how to survive getting lost in the french alps if your hiking or skiing?

im soooo lost he started off by saying im going to show you how to survive if you are hiking or skiing and you get lost. He jumps out of a plane with a parachute and 3 times he has said if you get lost use your ropes from the parachute and padding off the parachute.

who the hell goes skiing or hiking with a parachute?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

This isn't reality TV, its scripted and fake.

I hate him.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Bloody Nipples

I love Bear Grylls. He goes places you wouldn't be able to go without a parachute. And he does flips out of the plane!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

Complete rubbish. I watched this on a recomendation from a friend. Stuck it for about 10 minutes.

There was a bit were he was going into the jungle and he jumped out of a boat going about 30 kts.... which had to stop anyway to let the camdera crew out. Then he bit the head off a snake for some reason?

Stupid, stupid programming, If you want good nerdy survival show, check out Ray Mears.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭stereo_steve

Can't stand him, what an idiot.

I have the utmost respect for Les Stroud however from Survivorman. None of this eating eyeballs and sleeping in camels. Just proper survival on his own for a week in each episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,448 ✭✭✭✭joes girls

loves him he is just the best....and he is cute:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

He's a fraud he stays in 5 star hotels or a base camp when he is supposed to be sleeping in the wild.

http://www.beargrylls.com/media/beargryllsoutsidemagazine.pdf

If he was spending 5 days in the wild the first you would notice is that he wasn't shaving, instead he is clean shaven every day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Can't wait til he jumps out of something and breaks his legs or falls off a cliff and is off screens for ages.

Insert infraction below.

Sam Kade wrote: »
    He's a fraud he stays in 5 star hotels or a base camp when he is supposed to be sleeping in the wild.

http://www.beargrylls.com/media/beargryllsoutsidemagazine.pdf

If he was spending 5 days in the wild the first you would notice is that he wasn't shaving, instead he is clean shaven every day.

Ok all that may be so.....but he is still cute!

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Zadkiel

fabbydabby wrote: »
    Complete rubbish. I watched this on a recomendation from a friend. Stuck it for about 10 minutes.

There was a bit were he was going into the jungle and he jumped out of a boat going about 30 kts.... which had to stop anyway to let the camdera crew out. Then he bit the head off a snake for some reason?

Stupid, stupid programming, If you want good nerdy survival show, check out Ray Mears.
    +1

Ray Mears is great...also why the hell does bear need any excuse to whip out his c0ck and p1ss on himself or drink it?! I've seen him do it in at least 4 episodes.:eek:

• Advertisement

joes girls wrote: »
    Ok all that may be so.....but he is still cute!
    He's a cute hoor alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Gone Fishin

There was uproar some time ago with Bear Grylls when he was somewhere filming where bears are active and the footage showed him pointing to the bushes saying "look there's a bear now and he could kill a man......." blah, blah, blah. It turned out to be one of the crew dressed in a bear suit! I mean, come on. Ray Mears is the man for me, he starts the fires from scratch. Bear Grylls carries a fire starter. Bear Grylls = cock.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

Not necessarily. Lots of people with military backgrounds have a policy of shaving every day... even out in the jungle. It is about hygine, morale, dicipline, sense of well being. It's the way they are trianed by the army. If you are going out on an exercise, you bring shaving gear.

Grylls is still rubbish though, regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

Ah good fun though .
    I love the episode where he gets stung on the head and is wandering around looking like elephant man threatening to die any minute of anaphalatic shock .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭bungler

He's a tool, i would not listen to him for any advice or maybe next time he'll show you how to survive the Amazon with a satelitte phone, a gun, and a helicopter.

Never watching it again

Not necessarily. Lots of people with military backgrounds have a policy of shaving every day... even out in the jungle. It is about hygine, morale, dicipline, sense of well being. It's the way they are trianed by the army. If you are going out on an exercise, you bring shaving gear.

Grylls is still rubbish though, regardless.
    So if you for some reason got stranded in a jungle you would have enough razors to last for the length of time you are going to be stranded? The whole idea of the program is to let people know what to do if they get stranded, if he wasn't supposed to be lost then he would have a supply of water instead of drinking his own piss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 mtldockers

yeah he is a bit of a tool but looking forward to seeing the episode he filmed with Will Ferrel! should be a laugh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭Shane_C

Then he bit the head off a snake for some reason?

Yeah, he does that alright....

very funny video

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭bungler

So if you for some reason got stranded in a jungle you would have enough razors to last for the length of time you are going to be stranded? The whole idea of the program is to let people know what to do if they get stranded, if he wasn't supposed to be lost then he would have a supply of water instead of drinking his own piss.

Right i need to go to the local shop to get milk, better make sure i have a parachute,knife,shaving gear,ear buds,food processor and the lawnmower, have i forgot anything

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

The episode in Ireland....
    It was just too funny.
    I like this guys show. Sure, he ain't 'authentic', but i find some of his 'bearisms' and some of the set up stuff to be fun to watch.
    The unrealisticness of some situations, and the absolutely bizarre choices he makes are good for the lulz.
    I don't know who said all TV has to be serious business, I think you guys need to lighten up and take this guy with a pinch of salt.
    This is gonna be chilly perkins!:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I remember the Irish episode when he swims across the lake with his sheep stomach.
    You see him run into the water bare foot and while the camera follows him swimming you get several shots of this neon flippers before he hops out of the water in bare feet again.

It's such utter ****e.
    you can see it here just after 1 minute.

Ok so he is a real good cute actor then...YES!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

5uspect wrote: »
    I remember the Irish episode when he swims across the lake with his sheep stomach.
    You see him run into the water bare foot and while the camera follows him swimming you get several shots of this neon flippers before he hops out of the water in bare feet again.

It's such utter ****e.
    you can see it here just after 1 minute.

Hmmm i have looked at it a few times, i still don't see "neon flippers".The lake water has a yellow/brown tinge to it, pretty obvious on the 7-10 sec marks on the sheeps stomach, its what you see again on the minute mark you mentioned as his feet near the surface.The guy is a phony but on this one your wrong.

Did anyone see him with Will Ferrell last night? Bear was going on with his usual bullsh1t saying this is so dangerous and your man didn't have a worry in the world. When they were going down what was supposed to be a hundred foot cliff with 2 sticks wedged in the snow it actually was only a 5 foot cliff they were able to slide down the rest of the way as it was sloping.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

padi89 wrote: »
    Hmmm i have looked at it a few times, i still don't see "neon flippers".The lake water has a yellow/brown tinge to it, pretty obvious on the 7-10 sec marks on the sheeps stomach, its what you see again on the minute mark you mentioned as his feet near the surface.The guy is a phony but on this one your wrong.

I definitely saw it on TV when it was aired. It was unmistakable. I'll see if I can find a higher quality version.

EDIT:
    I've attached an image but its not conclusive.
    I can't find a HD version but I definitely saw it when it was on TV.
    He even reaches down under the water when he gets across to remove them!

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭cL0h

LMAO
    :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Lobster

cL0h wrote: »
    LMAO
    :D:D:D
    Sure, much it is staged but its entertainment! He has balls to perform the stunts he does!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

5uspect wrote: »
    I definitely saw it on TV when it was aired. It was unmistakable. I'll see if I can find a higher quality version.

EDIT:
    I've attached an image but its not conclusive.
    I can't find a HD version but I definitely saw it when it was on TV.
    He even reaches down under the water when he gets across to remove them!
    No, in you clip you posted there was nothing, and in the screen shot you posted, there's nothing there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

It would be stupid if half of it wasn't staged to be honest. If it wasn't staged and something went wrong, Discovery would have a nice lawsuit on their hands.

Sure the point of the show is to show people how they could survive if they were stranded, and (even though it isn't 100% accurate at times) he does show how you could survive. He isn't stranded, he could call a helicopter at any time so of course he is going o take a few "shortcuts" and safety precautions here and there.

It still makes interesting TV for me though, as we see different parts of the world and the different animals. I think some are you are just jealous that he gets to go around the world and get paid for it, while you can't:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭tosh_thedude

The one with guest Will Ferrel was very funny.... but thats Will Ferrel for yeah. Bear Grylls is a big girl and the shows got no credibility.... if he died in some freek accident while filming it would probably get some ratings, but I cant see that happening anytime soon. :)

Advertisement