Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best ISP for WOW ?

• 22-07-2009 12:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi,
    I am moving from Austria to Malahide and would like to play on WOW. Now I have to look for an internet service provider. I guess Broadband should be available in Malahide, but which ISP might possible be the best ? I would really be thankfull for any suggestion,

Walli

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Epeen

Have you checked the prices? Ireland living and broadband costs are quite high - if you only play wow online then something small like a 1-2mb line is fine.

Id go with someone like NTL or digiweb and bypass the ol line rental which is about 25 euro a month also.

Eircom & BT are the main ADSL providers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 C42walli

thank you Epeen - I was warned to use NTL.

I simply look for a provider with a good and stable connection, a low price is fine but no excuse when the ping is too high and gaming is no fun anymore.

Does "Eircom & BT are the main ADSL providers" mean that the are the best and I should take one of them ? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭smithcity

At all costs DO NOT get one of the USB datamodem, mobile broadband sticks.
    They are totally unfit for online gaming. I'm stuck with one at the moment and it's awful.

I've ordered Perlico broadband, I'll let you know if it's any good when it kicks in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Epeen

C42walli wrote: »

Does "Eircom & BT are the main ADSL providers" mean that the are the best and I should take one of them ? :)

probably your best option

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

I'd personally stay away from Eircon, BT and UTV or any of the other ADSL providers in this country, they are simply a pile of smouldering ****. Out of all the ISP's ive been on in the last 5 years NTL was by far the best in terms of Uptime, Speed and customer service.

You really cant go wrong with 50mb cable, when i was on it out in sandyford i'd be constantly downloading all day and night and never had a ping of over 130. Uptime was very good too, apart from the time of the big flood out there, but i wasn;t charged for the downtime and got a month free.

Im currently on UTV 6mb and its absoultley useless, their tech support are all indians and honestly have no clue what they are doing, just simply reading from a script:

"Hi my modem is dead, no ligths on at all" "Sir, Can you please restart your pc"

*facepalm*

Also Digiweb and Magnet are great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Evac101

Not a popular choice but I'm still using the Irish Broadband 'Breeze' product (wireless broadband using dishes). Haven't had any real issues with it in the 5 year's I've had it across two different postcodes (D6 and D12). A lot of other folk seem to had issues with it from comments I've seen in the past on Boards but I guess I must be lucky because I haven't experienced any of them...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 murfz

I have been using digiweb the last couple of years never had any trouble with it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

Me too ive been using Digiweb for about 3 years and never had any trouble with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

I have eircom and its fine most of the time. But find its a bit to costly. Live out in the country side so my options are limited. Thinking of changing to Smart as it will cost less.

Just saying their are alot of options out their. But i would go with NTL if i could.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭KilOit

Go with NTL i have been playing wow for 4 years or so and i swear it's only ever been down a handful of times, i never even disconnect while raiding and ping is under 100 during peak times.

Customer service is horse**** but i haven't rang them in over a year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭tom_ass19

My last place I was living in we all played wow on a 8mb line from smart telecom and there were three of us, didnt have any issues and the price is around 35euro a month I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭wayhey

I've been on Digiweb which I thought was great but no comparison to BT... virtually no down time compared to Digiweb, which seemed to happen a lot.

Got a letter in the post a few weeks ago tho to say that Vodafone are taking over for BT in Ireland. We'll see how it goes but I'd say it's only going to be a right barrel of laughs...:pac:

Advertisement