Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on replacing doors

Options
  • 22-07-2009 12:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 36

I'm just about to get my upstairs bathroom retiled and before I want to replace the existing ugly 1960's (hollow?) door with something that will offer more soundproofing and style. While I'm at that I was thinking that I'd also replace the other 3 bedroom doors.

The thing is that the doors, frames, architrave etc are painted white and I would ideally like to go the natural wood look for the new doors. Would it be a vastly more expensive affair to replace the rest of the woodwork to match?

Does anyone have any experience doing likewise, and what suppliers/fitters have you used?

Thanks,
    thevick

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 eosirl08

Hi if you were to stick to a relatively cheap timber such as red deal, it would not cost much extra at all. The dearest part would be the labour to rip out the old door frames, install new ones, hang the new doors and fix architrave. You always have the option of going for a more expensive timber such as oak. depends on your budget really

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

There is brilliant deals on doors at the moment. The dublin door store is supply and fitting solid 6 panel funature and brassware for 200 euro. No nothing against anyone but you cannot beat that,

Be sure to give them good 2 or 3 coats of varnish especially on bathrooms to prevent warping tbh I would even consider giving finished doors one coat just to be sure as planing etc exposes some areas

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭mint man

There is brilliant deals on doors at the moment. The dublin door store is supply and fitting solid 6 panel funature and brassware for 200 euro. No nothing against anyone but you cannot beat that,

Be sure to give them good 2 or 3 coats of varnish especially on bathrooms to prevent warping tbh I would even consider giving finished doors one coat just to be sure as planing etc exposes some areas

even that is a bit expensive, 6 panel red deal doors can be got for 50-60now, handles 20, lock 10,carpenter shouldnt charge more than 50 really.

and +1 on the varnish ,but also remember top and bottom need to be coated

Advertisement