Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Andy Reid

• 22-07-2009 12:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭

Shed over a stone during his holidays according to Steve Bruce. Anyone reckon Trap might 'fancy' him, so to speak, due to his weight loss?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

fair play to him. But I reckon he will still have another stone to go in fairness.
    He has to be an option in the squad at least. However, he could fall further down the pecking order now S.Reid, McCann, McCarthy and possibly Ireland will be in the mix.

Something must have went on for Trap to have such a stance against Reid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Can see young hungry players like James McCarthy & Keith Fahey pushing him for a place in the squad as well.

And with the Stephen ireland rumours, things are looking up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Jayob10 wrote: »

Something must have went on for Trap to have such a stance against Reid.

Was it not his late night guitar playing antics in the hotel before/after a game when Trap had told him to go to bed numerous times?

To be honest, he was poor last year IMO and won't suit the style Trap has us playing at the minute with two sitting midfielders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I can't see Bruce playing him anywhere but left midfield which is very frustrating.

There's 1 reason Richardson plays central midfield with Reid on the left and that's because Richardson will run all day. That's a problem with the game in Britain and Ireland and Reid could well do with going abroad.

I always say it but all if Pirlo moved to England at the age of 20 I don't think Italy would be the current world champions. Never in a million years would a player as slow as him, who can hardly tackle and doesn't work his socks off defensively be playing the holding role for a premiership club 3 or 4 years ago. Since the success of the Pirlo Gattuso pairing many clubs are copying that model though and even Fergie admitted it.

I think Fahy will surprise a few people this season hes not being mentioned as much as some others. He will be a decent prem player i reckon. But I think in time McCarthy is going to be a top player. He wont stand out too much in his first season but he does the basics really well, he has maturity of a senior pro and a great temperment, and under the right guidance will be excellent. Im a Pool fan but to be honest id love to see Fergie get his hands on McCarthy in a season or 2.

The way he handled his transfer is a measure of the lad aswell. He took his time to weigh it up fully and decided Wigan play the type of football that will aid his development.

• Advertisement

eirebhoy wrote: »
    I can't see Bruce playing him anywhere but left midfield which is very frustrating.

There's 1 reason Richardson plays central midfield with Reid on the left and that's because Richardson will run all day. That's a problem with the game in Britain and Ireland and Reid could well do with going abroad.

I always say it but all if Pirlo moved to England at the age of 20 I don't think Italy would be the current world champions. Never in a million years would a player as slow as him, who can hardly tackle and doesn't work his socks off defensively be playing the holding role for a premiership club 3 or 4 years ago. Since the success of the Pirlo Gattuso pairing many clubs are copying that model though and even Fergie admitted it.

thats a decent shout, a player like Pirlo lets the ball do the work for him. He wouldnt fit the stereotype of a player in his position in England.
    I still dont think he'd cut it in england now though. He isnt a busy enough player. Xavi is similar but is a far better version of what Pirlo offers.

The way he handled his transfer is a measure of the lad aswell. He took his time to weigh it up fully and decided Wigan play the type of football that will aid his development.

£10k a week or £20k a week?

Indeed, the measure of the lad.

A.Reid
    S.Reid
    Whelan
    Andrews
    Delap
    McCann
    ?Carsley
    McCarthy
    Fahey
    *Ireland (we'll probably find out in August)
    J.O'Brien
    Gibson

All players that can play central midfield in the 1st team squads of premiership clubs. Surely we can make up a decent pairing/trio from that.

He'd have joined Celtic for less money than either of those clubs if Mowbray wanted him. He turned down Liverpool 2 years ago to stay at Hamilton don't remember.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Im a Pool fan but to be honest id love to see Fergie get his hands on McCarthy in a season or 2.

That seems a strange thing to say. You don't trust Benitez or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Careful, the Benitezites will string you up for such heresey! :p

• Advertisement

thats most certainly not the case with this lad. I reckon McCarthy would have played him wide ala Gibson during his loan spell.

Martinez is known for his willingness to play good football. So he chose to follow that route.

Previous poster is right about Celtic aswell, if Mowbary had a fee accepted then McCarthy would be there next season.

i think Wigan will be perfect for him.

The thing with Wigan is, to play nice football and be successful in the PL, you need class players.
    Ask West Brom.

JPA wrote: »
    That seems a strange thing to say. You don't trust Benitez or something?

Rafa is a legend not having a bad word said against him. We are covered in Midfield and I dont think he'd get the game time to develop into an important first team player. Maybe if he signed for us in his mid 20s. But not so early.

But Fergie would make him a mainstay of the team if he chose to go for him even at an early age.

There will be alot of managers watching him closely at Wigan next season. He'll be getting regular premiership football for the next few seasons and that'll aid his development greatly.

The thing with Wigan is, to play nice football and be successful in the PL, you need class players.
    Ask West Brom.
    They've much better players than West Brom. Just lacking up front but I guess they'll be playing 4-5-1 anyway.

Someone on BBC said a few months ago that Swansea against Fulham was the best style of football he's seen all season bar Barca. I'm sure he's going ott but they must have been very good to watch.

Ask West Brom.

Wigan will be ok. Martinez will be at a bigger club than Wigan in the future. He going to be a very good manager.

Wigan will be ok. Martinez will be at a bigger club than Wigan in the future. He going to be a very good manager.

We'll see, you're kinda jumping the gun.

Don't be a know it all Jayob10!

Don't be a know it all Jayob10!

sorry dont wanna come accross as a know it all.

Im just confident in expressing my opinion when it comes to football. In relation to McCarthy I know the lad albeit through an Irish lad at Falkirk and hes not money motivated at all.

Again apologies

More in reference to your Martinez comments.

More in reference to your Martinez comments.

i'm not allowed say I rate martinez as a manager??

Why is that then?

• Advertisement

You're the person that has said he will get bigger than Wigan and Benithez is beyond criticism.

You're the person that has said he will get bigger than Wigan and Benithez is beyond criticism.

Rafa has limitations but I wouldn't want anyone else managing liverpool. Kinda like not having the hottest girlfriend but I wouldnt change her for the world. :D

Also, I firmly believe Roberto Martinez will be a success at Wigan. And if this is the case he will move on to bigger and better things. In fact Dave Whelan will prob talk him up as a future Spain manager as he usually does with his managers ala Jewell and Bruce (england obviously). And then cash in for the highest offer of compo.
    He is a shrewd chairman.

I suppose time will tell as you say but ill stand by my word.

So Martinez is now better than Benitez.

So Martinez is now better than Benitez.

I have no idea how ya manage to deduce that from what I said :eek:

In no way is Martinez better than Rafa. Not at this stage of his career. He may never be as good. But he can still be a pretty damn good manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tomred1

I taught this thread was about Andy Reid?
    Anyway Andy Reid the exact same thing was said about Anday Reid last season and he had a terrible season so i won't be getting my hopes up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

link or gtfoh!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Shed over a stone during his holidays according to Steve Bruce. Anyone reckon Trap might 'fancy' him, so to speak, due to his weight loss?
    One down 2 to go so :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

He is only 27 next week.

Time for Andy to resurrect his career, I hope he does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

Considering he has been a full time professional for many years, I wonder what Reid did to lose so much weight in the close season. I'm delighted to hear it. Lets hope he can keep the weight off, regain form and reclaim a place in the Irish squad.

Anyone know what progress Joey O’Brien has made since his latest injury. Just wondering because I think he has something to offer the Irish set up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Nice to see him making the effort.

That it chimes nicely with the arrival of a new manager shouldn't be seen in a cynical light.

Oh no.

tomred1 wrote: »
    I taught this thread was about Andy Reid?
    Anyway Andy Reid the exact same thing was said about Anday Reid last season and he had a terrible season so i won't be getting my hopes up.
    I think that's mainly to do with being played on the left. When played centrally he's been a match for a lot of playmakers in the league. His first half season at Sunderland (he joined in January) he got 15 bonus points in the FF in something like 10 or 11 games and was getting brilliant reviews. He turned Sunderland's form. Then last season he must have came back with fitness problems and Keane decided to move him out wide.

If he's not going to be played in the centre in some form at least play him on the right with the freedom to drift inside. Playing him on the left you're hoping he'll get crosses in the box. The game has evolved a bit beyond that now and that should mainly be the job of the full back imo.

Advertisement