Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Java Revision

Options
  • 22-07-2009 1:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

Right, I hope that somebody will be able to help me, i'm currently studying for my repeats in Java in NUIG and was wondering if anyone had any tips on how to properly revise Java (since my previous attempt was obviously wrong) and if they can point me in the direction of a good online revision source.

I would really apreciate if someone can help as i need to pass this to get into 3rd year!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

Your question would be a lot easier to answer if you post a few examples of what the exam questions are like?

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭evanSpiddal

Well here's the main question from the Christmas exam (Sorry about the size)

Question 1: COMPULSORY 70 Marks

You have applied for a job as a java programmer. As part of the assessment procedure the
    company have requested you to write a solution to the following game. You have been
    advised of the following:
    • to use the most efficient programming techniques possible
    • program for extensibility (more forces could be added to the game in future)
    • fully annotate your code
    • All outputs are to be text based (you do not need to use GUI components) i.e. use
    toString methods
    • It is not necessary to code for user inputs if/where these would normally be
    required it is sufficient for you to hard code them into the program

Write a program that simulates the creation of a space invaders game. The game consists
    of two space forces, the Vogons and Zaphods, who fight against each other for control of
    the planet Magrathea. All spacecraft have the following features in common:
    • An Ability to fly
    • An Ability to fire
    • Capable of being destroyed

In addition they each maintain data on:
    • Fuel level
    • Shield Level
    • Ammunition count

Each force has a mother ship (VMS Commander and ZMS Supreme) from which all of
    its other space shipsx emanate. The mother ship can keep count of all the spaceships she
    has sent out and that have not being destroyed and can call them back at any time. The
    mother ship can also issue orders to fire weapons and cease firing. Each force has two
    types of fighter ships. Vogons have the Vogon Stealth and the Vogon V9. Zaphods have
    the Zaphod Authur and the Zaphod Dent. They have the following characteristics:

Vorgon Stealth
    Weapon - Ultra Laser
    Flight - Max speed 15*speed of sound
    Shield - Levels 1-3 each time she is hit shield drops by one
    Fuel Burn - A function of speed

Vorgon V9
    Weapon - V9 Rocket
    Flight - Max speed 10*speed of sound but can accelerate twice as fast as the Stealth
    Shield - Levels 1-5 each time she is hit shield drops by one

Zaphod Authur
    Weapon - Authur Sonic
    Flight - Max speed 20*speed of sound
    Shield - Levels 1-3 each time she is hit shield drops by one

Zaphod Dent
    Weapon - Dent V11
    Flight - Max speed 10*speed of sound but can accelerate three times as fast as the Authur
    Shield - Levels 1-5 each time she is hit shield drops by one

Your program should create one of each of these spacecraft objects. Issue an order to fire
    from each mother ship and destroy one of each spacecraft.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

The only way we passed Java in NUIG was to go to the IT dept beofre exams as a class and get grinds going over exam questions and what you are likely to be asked. This was more a way to pass than learning java. I have only started to try and learn it after my course sadly.

Do you have the textbook, Deital & Deital - Java: How to program or something? Whatever book you have and lecture notes and labs, you just go through them. Exams tend to be similar. When my friend failed he just spent all day every day going through the textbook and previous exams, got 70 in the repeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭evanSpiddal

The only way we passed Java in NUIG was to go to the IT dept beofre exams as a class and get grinds going over exam questions and what you are likely to be asked. This was more a way to pass than learning java. I have only started to try and learn it after my course sadly.

Do you have the textbook, Deital & Deital - Java: How to program or something? Whatever book you have and lecture notes and labs, you just go through them. Exams tend to be similar. When my friend failed he just spent all day every day going through the textbook and previous exams, got 70 in the repeat.

Ya thats the book that i'm using (at this very moment in fact), i figured that was the only way to study Java but was hoping for an easier solution! Ah well i'll attempt to work my way through the subject and hope for the best! Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭BigAl81

Yo

The Deital & Deital books are pretty hard going, I'd go with a SAM's teach yourself in 21days/24hours effort, bit easier to take in.

If your stuck on anything in particular, post a question on the relevant forum here http://forums.sun.com/index.jspa I usually get an answer in about 5 mins... invaluabel if your stuck on something.

Go Team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

I think the only way of studying for programming exams is to get into a lab and start coding. Reading from a book or writing on paper never worked for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Read about the strategy design pattern.

This could be used to cover most of the question.

Advertisement