Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SWINE FLU GALWAY

Options
  • 22-07-2009 1:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 39

I READ TODAY THAT THERE ARE 164 CONFIRMED CASES OF SWINE FLU IN IRELAND, ALSO NOT CONFINED TO ANY PARTICULAR AREA....HAS ANYONE HEARD OR KNOW OF SUSPECTED OR CONFIRMED SWINE FLU CASES IN GALWAY CITY OR COUNTY. I AM ONLY ASKING THIS AS I AM CONCERNED ABOUT THE RISKS AND WOULD BE MORE AWARE OF THE POSSIBILITIES OF CONTAMINATION, AND TAKE PREVENTATIVE MEASURES SHOULD IT BE IN THE GALWAY AREA:confused::eek:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

1. stop SHOUTING , it gives me a swine flu headache .
    2. what preventative measures ?? There are none unless they invent a vaccine that works .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Easy on the caps there, makes it so hard to read. I believe there have been a few cases and cases also were people have been put into quarantine in their homes in case they have been infected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

WHY ARE WE SHOUTING???

steve_carell_anchorman.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 39 traceyde

Serious answers please only....this is a serious matter...re preventative measures i am sure you can minimise you risks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

AHHH-CHOO! (pressing caps lock)

• Advertisement

NOT SHOUTING JUST FORGOT TO CLICK OFF THE CAPS!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Chill out I have been working in a office in the UK where a number of people have caught it, you won't see me eating tamiflu sandwiches for lunch everyday. They have even given up on containment in the UK at this stage. Sure I am being a little more careful than usual, using hand gels etc. Aside from avoiding the outside world for the next six months what can you do?

was this in the GALWAY area???????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I blame the crusties.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

traceyde wrote: »
    Don't worry I am at least 400 miles away from you at present :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

WHY ARE WE SHOUTING???

steve_carell_anchorman.jpg

LOUD NOISES!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Yeah, but the cryptosporidium has tickened our skin.

Are you pregnant by any chance?
    If not, stop posting like a loon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Simi

po0k wrote: »
    Yeah, but the cryptosporidium has tickened our skin.

Wouldn't worry too much even if you are pregnant. Unless you are severely immunocompromised, you'll be fine.

• Moderators Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

PREVENTATIVE MEASURES
    H-BGC_3_dt.jpg
    Stay safe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Chuckchuck

Hi I live in Galway and have not heard of any cases so no need to worry.....not yet anyway

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

TBH, it's not going to kill anyone in Ireland who wouldn;'t have died of normal flu strain so don;t worry unless you are already ill, over 60 or whatever, you'll be grand.

In 1976 NOBODY in the US died from the swine flu outbreak, 27 people died from the vaccine though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

Seaneh wrote: »
    TBH, it's not going to kill anyone in Ireland who wouldn;'t have died of normal flu strain so don;t worry unless you are already ill, over 60 or whatever, you'll be grand.

In 1976 NOBODY in the US died from the swine flu outbreak, 27 people died from the vaccine though!

Swine flu attacks the young and the healthy. If you are already ill, chances are you will not contract Swine flu. It killed a 6 year old in the UK in one day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

[-0-] wrote: »
    Swine flu attacks the young and the healthy. If you are already ill, chances are you will not contract Swine flu. It killed a 6 year old in the UK in one day.

Well we can safely say you don't know what you're talking about because this website seems to agree with me...

"As with the garden-variety flu, there are some people who are more likely to be severely affected by the swine flu. These people are more likely to get very ill, require hospitalization, and more likely to die.

People at higher risk have one thing in common. Their bodies are more susceptible to serious complications of the flu, such as pneumonia or even bloodstream infection.That said, most of these people recover just fine from the flu with no serious illness. But it's good for them to take steps to be extra careful in preventing the flu.

So, who's most at risk?

1. Children aged 6 months up to their 19th birthday (but the younger the child the higher the risk)
    2. Pregnant women
    3. People 50 years of age and older
    4. People of any age with certain medical conditions, such as heart or lung disease (asthma, COPD, emphysema), diabetes or those with weakened immune systems."

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Seaneh wrote: »

Yes, but the problem with these kind of "stats" is that you do not know how many people might have died if they had NOT taken the vaccine...

• Registered Users Posts: 45,490 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

There has been one case from the West afaik.
    Don't worry OP, the water will kill you before any flu.

Worried about swine flu? There is one easy way to protect against infection, health experts agree -- handwashing.

Number one is hand-washing, they say -- a surprisingly effective way to prevent all sorts of diseases, including ordinary influenza and the new and mysterious swine flu virus.

"Cover your cough or your sneeze, wash your hands frequently," advised Dr. Richard Besser, acting CDC director.

Influenza can spread in coughs or sneezes, but an increasing body of evidence shows little particles of virus can linger on tabletops, telephones and other surfaces and be transferred via the fingers to the mouth, nose or eyes.

Alcohol-based gel or foam hand sanitizers work well to destroy viruses and bacteria
    Source: Reuters

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

swine flu is no bigger deal medically than regular flu.

I'm certain they made such a big deal about it in the US to get peoples' minds off the recession.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Yes, but the problem with these kind of "stats" is that you do not know how many people might have died if they had NOT taken the vaccine...

The records blew away in the great swine flu hurricaine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Crazi_Monkey21

preventive measures?
    well you could try not eating pig meats or anything to do with pigs meat.
    and stay away from them ha.
    sorry but thats the best i can think of.
    unless they make a vaccine against it

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

po0k wrote: »

Oi!

Being pregnant is no excuse for posting like a loon.

OP, get some of the alcohol based hand gel, wash your hands regularly in hot water and soap, stay out of crowded places. It's the same as avoiding any other strain of the flu.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Jim Corr 2

We are all going to die.. So we are :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

A right load of who-haa

Swine flu, kangaroo flu, what next

Tis just germs n bugs, the normal runs of things
    But the WHO love to inflate themselves every now and again, trying to scare the ****e out of the masses just to justify themselves as an entity

get plenty of fruit n veg into ya, build up yrself with exercise, you'll be grand

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

alibabba wrote: »
    But the WHO love to inflate themselves every now and again, trying to scare the ****e out of the masses just to justify themselves as an entity

WHO are very careful about what they release and how up to date the information is, it's the media that try to scare people. If you read the WHO reports you will see that pretty much all the major health scares aren't half as scary as Rupert Murdoch and his ilk would have you believe.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Serious answers please only....this is a serious matter...re preventative measures i am sure you can minimise you risks

Serious answer: Why not simply take those "preventative measures" now, before the event, that way you'll be ready when swine flu does hit Galway, rather than waiting until it's already here - because by then you might have contract it before you start your "preventative measures" ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭hoody

OP - you really should try not to worry about this flu too much, barring any vaccine that will come out in the next couple of months, it's going to come around, just like normal flu does, and there's not a whole pile we can do about that, you may as well be worrying about the wind.

Normal, good practice hygiene like using the handgels, washing your hands, using a tissue, etc, should lower your own chances of catching it, but again there's no guarantee. If you do catch it, more likely it'll be a couple of days of feeling miserable and then you'll be right as rain again. And if you do think you have it - ring your GP, he or she will give you all the advice you need. As for cases in the west - if there's 170-odd in the country, then there's bound to be a few of them around here unfortunately! Try not to worry about it - you'll be fine :D

Advertisement