Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SWINE FLU GALWAY

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,490 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Jim Corr wrote: »
    We are all going to die.. So we are :(

Hi Jim,

I hear you are in the running for the new Mod position in Conspiracy forum :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

I have started washing my hands more regularly than usual. At work they have hand gel dispensers at every entrance/exit.

These are the only preventative measures I'm taking.

Travelled to London a couple of weeks ago, I wouldn't cancel travel plans because of swine flu. I always tried to wash my hands as soon as possible after using the Underground (lots of people touching hand rails and stuff).

When I got back to Dublin Airport and was waiting for my luggage I noticed a women also waiting for luggage who seemed to have a bad flu. I moved a bit away from her just to be safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

A guy I went to school with a few years ago has it. He was on a bus where a few people had it and caught it there. I assume the necessary measures have been taken but I'm not exactly losing sleep. I don't really know the guy anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

If you know anybody with the swine flu you should go get it off them straight away, it's like the measles if you get it before everybody else gets it you become immune to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

traceyde wrote: »
    I READ TODAY THAT THERE ARE 164 CONFIRMED CASES OF SWINE FLU IN IRELAND, ALSO NOT CONFINED TO ANY PARTICULAR AREA....HAS ANYONE HEARD OR KNOW OF SUSPECTED OR CONFIRMED SWINE FLU CASES IN GALWAY CITY OR COUNTY. I AM ONLY ASKING THIS AS I AM CONCERNED ABOUT THE RISKS AND WOULD BE MORE AWARE OF THE POSSIBILITIES OF CONTAMINATION, AND TAKE PREVENTATIVE MEASURES SHOULD IT BE IN THE GALWAY AREA:confused::eek:

Is shouting really necessary?

Wash your hands regularly.
    Avoid shaking hands,if possible.
    Get plenty of sleep.
    Stay in Shape
    ..the usual really.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 389 ✭✭Jamey

I've heard of two or three people from Galway that I know having it, and a few from my County Galway hometown. I'm sure there's many more. Whether they have regular flu or swine flu is the question though, I'd imagine a lot of people contracting regular flu just presume they have swine flu because of the media frenzy over it. It won't be long until a lot of people in Galway get it, in the UK most people know two or three people, if not themselves, who have contracted it, and most have recovered after a week or so of taking Tamiflu.

Not feeling too great today myself I must add, bad cough coming on and sneezing! Uh oh!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

I know of one place in Galway that has put in detailed plans to deal with swine flu. Some of these plans include;
    • isolation areas for suspected carriers
    • counsuling for people if one of their colleagues die from swine flu
    • how to close down contaminated areas
    I would be worried a small bit but when its your time; its your time:(

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Xiney wrote: »
    swine flu is no bigger deal medically than regular flu.

I'm certain they made such a big deal about it in the US to get peoples' minds off the recession.

On an individual basis, that's true.

However on a community basis, there is a an issue if lots-and-lots of people all get sick at the same time (GP's are over-run with work, hospitals run out of beds 'cos more than the usual numbers are extra sick, schools run out of teachers because so many are off sick, companies are massively hit in the same way). Swine flu, like any new virus that no-one has any existing immunity to, has the potential to make this happen very quickly

I suspect you're right re the US. I also suspect that with all the tourists here, we must have a fair few cases in Ireland: there is just no way that the bug hasn't travelled here with them. My guess is that the Irish government decided to play it down because of the economic damage that it could do during the tourist season.

The only precaution I've taken is to buy a box of paracetamol: if I get any flu (seasonal, swine, whatever) keeping the temperature down is part of the game plan, and I didn't want to miss out if there was a rush.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭shampoosuicide

I THINK CAPS LOCK SEEMSTO SCARE INTERNET PEOPLE MORE THAN SWINE FLU. OMG!!! CAPS LOCK!!!! LOL!!!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

JustMary wrote: »
    On an individual basis, that's true.

However on a community basis, there is a an issue if lots-and-lots of people all get sick at the same time (GP's are over-run with work, hospitals run out of beds 'cos more than the usual numbers are extra sick, schools run out of teachers because so many are off sick, companies are massively hit in the same way). Swine flu, like any new virus that no-one has any existing immunity to, has the potential to make this happen very quickly

As it's spread in the same way as regular flu I don't see how it could mean more people catching it at once than regular flu. Only a small percentage of people avail of the flu jab every year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

Sorry to resurrect, but has anyone else noticed a sharp increase in the cases of this in Galway?
    I know at least 5 people now that have had it, and all in all they are saying it's not much worse than the normal flu, Tamiflu not necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Tamiflu is just a normal antiviral, and does have occasional puky side effects:eek:
    I have it on reasonably good authority that it only shortens the duration of the flu by a day or 2 at most - there are tons of natural anti-virals that will do the job without the side effects tbh. I'd get some of them in me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Some people I know were out into quarantine in their home by the HSE after returnign from an event in the UK where someone had swine flu...but I also know a few other people (3) who have swine flu and were advised to treat it at home like a normal flu. One of them just said it came on very quick with a very high temp and he is almost back to normal now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

alibabba wrote: »
    A right load of who-haa

Swine flu, kangaroo flu, what next

Tis just germs n bugs, the normal runs of things
    But the WHO love to inflate themselves every now and again, trying to scare the ****e out of the masses just to justify themselves as an entity

get plenty of fruit n veg into ya, build up yrself with exercise, you'll be grand

"I'm not in the habit of repeating myself" but tis all a load of who-haa
    If you get it, boil a sliced lemon for about 10 mins, into a glass with some double malt whiskey (at least 10 yr old), a large spoon of honey and keep stirring while sipping.
    If this doesnt work, repeat the dosage until you start to feel the oink-ment kicking in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

Maybe a Rumour but I heard there are 30 Non Irish National Students in Quarantine in Galway right now?
    Itlaians in Glasán to be exact?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭gary82

I know a few people now that have had it and recovered grand. It's just like a normal cold, only that you can pass it on much easier aparantly. I wouldn't worry about it at all for myself, infact I wouldn't mind getting it out of the way now before starting back at college in September and building my immunity!! Only concern about swine flu would be with elderly people and those who are down with other problems already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 galwayfeen

i think everyone knows by now that this "swine flu" is not what its cracked up to be.i've noticed a lot of people claim to have (ordinary) flu, when in fact they've just got a cold. They confuse the two, and don't really realise that ordinary flu is nasty enough to lay you out for a couple of weeks. I reckon anyone who gets ordinary flu this year, & doesn't recognise it for what it really is, will get in a right flap over it, thinking they've caught the swine variety.it's just beginning now, you will see it a lot more over the next few weeks(that i102 news person who shouts a new "swine flu" death everyday), work places & schools making it absolutely compulsory to get these "vaccine jabs".i just hope people wont be that gullible.careful with that tamiflu aswell:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/aug/11/swine-flu-tamiflu-andrew-castle

edit: i love lamp!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭ukgalwaymcguire

does anyone know about the jabs for swine flu?
    i know in the u.k there rolling out the jabs from october, to certain groups,ie the elderly and people with certain conditions (of which i am one i have asthma)
    i just wondered what the situation is with that here? and also i get a flu jab every year, would that mean getting 2? the normal and the swine flu one, or would it be combined.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭yayaitsme

ya was on galwaynews that their is three confirmed cases from a language school based in GMIT i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Ive had a chest infection over the last week and all ive got from people is "OMG ITS NOT SWINEFLU IS IT :eek:".
    I plan on visiting public places, coughing my guts up and saying "Christ, this swine flu's a bitch!".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭yayaitsme

my bro did somethign similiar, was sneezing in town and sayin how he had a flu since coming back from mexico, needless to say people walked away from him. best bit is there was not a thing wrong with him

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Where I work there has been one confirmed case in the building, not entirely sure where this person actually lives, but we were at a work do in town last week and they reckon the person caught it that night, just goes to show how easily it can be contracted. In work thy have those sanitizing gel dispensers at every door - not too worried tbh.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2009/0814/breaking62.htm

That's from the Irish Times site this evening

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

I had a super bad f*cking dose of the flu there, I'm only getting over it now well over two weeks later.

Wouldn't be surprised if I'd had the swine flu, although I never got tested.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Simi

deccurley wrote: »
    In work thy have those sanitizing gel dispensers at every door - not too worried tbh.:cool:

They only work if you wash your hands thoroughly before applying the gel.

This whole thing is ridiculous tbh. The media are trying to paint this as a repeat of the 1918 pandemic, which it quite clearly is not. H1N1 is no more dangerous than regular flu & I don't think we should be wasteing our tamiflu stock pile on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 murchadh

Don't worry about this over hyped nonsense. Thousands die from the flu every year, yes every year. More people died last year from flu than have died from this years 'cause célèbre'. But it is interesting to note that the 1918 pandemic was actually H1N1.

It is far more important to protect your immune system all year round, and not just when the 'don't watch that, watch this' media start to rattle on.

If food falls on the ground, pick it up and eat it. Give your immune system a good workout. Don't try this obviously if you've been living on anti-biotics and no longer have much of an immune system. Dodgy immune system - avoid crowds; if your immune system is that dodgy you would already be doing this. And what exactly Tamiflu does, even the 'experts' can't agree on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭HoPpiE

I had it. It's gone. No big deal really.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Simi wrote: »
    H1N1 is no more dangerous than regular flu & I don't think we should be wasteing our tamiflu stock pile on it.

Eh? The "regular flu" is fairly devastating: if you get it, you'll likely spend at least a week in bed, possibly two. It is quite different from a cold (even a really bad one), or from "stomach-flu" (gastroenteritis).

Folks who think you've had it: have you actually have lab tests to confirm that it is "swine flu", or is it just assumed that this is the only flu around at the moment?

(Personally, I noticed years ago that I got sicker, overall, in the winters when I had a flu-jab than in the winters when I didn't: far more colds etc. So these days, I give it a miss, and will do the same with the H1N1 vaccine when it finally appears too.)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

My mom just told me a friend of hers had an 18 yr old niece who went to the Dr in her college in town yesterday complaining of feeling very sick.
    'Apparently' the Dr didnt do too much of an examination, told her she coming down with the flu and to rest up for a few days ...

She died earlier today of meningitis

Advertisement