Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Acoustic Covers

Options
  • 22-07-2009 2:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭

Howdy.
    Im looking for a few suggestions.
    Basically, I am in a two piece acoustic group.
    I play guitar, the stompbox, and do backing vocals.
    The singer also plays guitar.

Im want to learn some new alternative songs but which your average audience will know and appreciate.

Here are some of the tracks we play at the moment to give an example of our style.

Coldplay - Trouble
    The Kooks - Naive
    MGMT - Kids
    Kings of Leon - Fans
    Lady Gaga - Just Dance
    Foo Fighters - Times Like These

Any ideas folks?
    I have kind of gone blank

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭mr biazzi

well me personaly am looking forward to learning ayo technology by 50c and justin, just sayin..
    their all alright, lokin forward to do a guitar version of lady gaga, if you can get the vids from glastonbary guitars doin the synth parts i think.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Have you considered writing something yourself. Imitation may be the best form of flattery, but jesus the bands you cover don't need it.

Imo covers suck 99.999999999999999995 of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭bluto63

Personally I quite like Travis' cover of Hit Me Baby One More Time
    mr biazzi wrote: »
    well me personaly am looking forward to learning ayo technology by 50c and justin, just sayin..

It's been done, and it's terrible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

out of interest, what stomp box are you using, or how are you miking it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

lordgoat wrote: »
    Have you considered writing something yourself. Imitation may be the best form of flattery, but jesus the bands you cover don't need it.

Imo covers suck 99.999999999999999995 of the time.

Wow, that is a massive percentage. :eek:
    I have tried writing songs in the past but I just end up pulling my hair out half the time.
    Im going to stick to the covers thanks.
    Any suggestions by the way?

out of interest, what stomp box are you using, or how are you miking it?

Well I did a bit of research on the internet and I think that the "bigfoot" stompbox is probably the best for me so I have gone ahead and ordered one of them from my local music shop.
    I've never actually used one live before but I have had plenty of practise tapping my feet.
    I am considering just plugging it straight into the PA and adding a touch of reverb.
    Is that a good idea? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2MgwAJrfXo
    chris cornell version of billie jean , everyone loves a bit of michael jackson

this a great Acoustic version
    puddle of mudd - control
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9X01kWTdR4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Well I did a bit of research on the internet and I think that the "bigfoot" stompbox is probably the best for me so I have gone ahead and ordered one of them from my local music shop.
    I've never actually used one live before but I have had plenty of practise tapping my feet.
    I am considering just plugging it straight into the PA and adding a touch of reverb.
    Is that a good idea? :confused:

i bought one from a guitar maker in south australia, just a box with a pickup inside it. I should have made one, and will do just to have a different option. i hear good things about the stompbox. I need a carpet or summit to keep it from sliding. If you can get the EQ right, and get a nice neutral thud, it's cool. Add an eq pedal or a DI box. Check out some John Butler live on youtube. He uses one, and is great.
    I play covers, and the thing I find is the ones you would love to do, people in pubs don't know. They usually want the lowest common denominator usual suspect songs. If I were to pick a set list of acoustic songs I would like to do, I wouldn't get many gigs. I'd throw in Sonic Youth, Sigur Ros, Alice in Chains, Radiohead, if I could. It's the neutral Christy Moore trad stuff I end up doing, but its good money.

John Spillane, jonny dont go , is a good one for a stompbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭NedTermo

It's hard to find a middle ground between playing stuff you want to play and some stuff that is just crowd pleasing that you might not enjoy playing as much.

After doing both for periods of time in full bands and acoustics setting my advice would be to start off with mostly crowd pleasers (nothing too cheesy) but with some credibility e.g. bob dylan and once you've established a foot hold in the pubs you play in and people get to know you, slowly ween in a couple of your own favourites towards the end of the set.

By then everyone loves you if your doing it right.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭mr biazzi

bluto63 wrote: »
    Personally I quite like Travis' cover of Hit Me Baby One More Time

It's been done, and it's terrible

thats awfull, i must have geardit in my sleep one day. .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2MgwAJrfXo
    chris cornell version of billie jean , everyone loves a bit of michael jackson

this a great Acoustic version
    puddle of mudd - control
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9X01kWTdR4

Thanks very much for the MJ suggestion. Never really thought about covering him before.
    Not mad about doing billie jean but I did come across this cover of beat it and thriller.

That Puddle of Mudd song is great too.
    If I were to pick a set list of acoustic songs I would like to do, I wouldn't get many gigs. I'd throw in Sonic Youth, Sigur Ros, Alice in Chains, Radiohead, if I could. It's the neutral Christy Moore trad stuff I end up doing, but its good money.

John Spillane, jonny dont go , is a good one for a stompbox.

I'd love to throw in a few radiohead tunes myself. Maybe Karma Police, Iron Lung and Fake Plastic Trees. I might play one at the next gig and see how they go down.

Came across a great version of Johhny dont go on youtube with Christy Moore and John Spillane. Definitely an option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭bluto63

Foo Fighters - Everlong. Dave Grohl did a good acoustic version

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

More suited to music in general, rather than specifically Alternative & Indie.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

+1 for Foo Fighters' 'Everlong'.

Ryan Adams' cover of Oasis' 'Wonderwall' is great in my opinion.

Bell X1's 'Boys of Summer' is quite good too imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

How about "Layla" (unplugged) ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQVvF0AeRLI

+1 for Foo Fighters' 'Everlong'.

Ryan Adams' cover of Oasis' 'Wonderwall' is great in my opinion.

Bell X1's 'Boys of Summer' is quite good too imo.

We actually already do everlong. Its a great song.
    And we play the oasis version of wonderwall. Although my personal preference is the ryan adams version I guess I have to compromise and go with the one most people like.

I searched youtube and I couldnt find that BellX1 song you mentioned. :confused:
    How about "Layla" (unplugged) ?

Thanks for that. Cant believe I forgot about good old slowhand.
    (Adds to list)

And we play the oasis version of wonderwall. Although my personal preference is the ryan adams version I guess I have to
    compromise and go with the one most people like.

Ah I see.
    I searched youtube and I couldnt find that BellX1 song you mentioned. :confused:

Here's the thread on boards -

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055588650&highlight=bell

And the post with the link of the song -

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=60644972&postcount=8

I just think it's good. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

how about superman by lazlo bane? its the scrubs theme tune and great fun to play.

also oasis have a great b-side called cigarettes in hell thats good as well.

hope i helped

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭discobeaker

I think Michael Jackson was mentioned earlier. Check out chris cornells version of billie jean -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jSrpn8ED74&feature=related

Maybe also some matchbox 20,that's entertainment - the jam,
    REM - Daysleeper,U2 - One,Tom Petty,Green Day - Time of your life etc

Actually if your in temple bar anytime soon,there is a guy who plays covers in the quays bar and he does some pretty cool covers like the killers and stuff. It could give you some inspiration as to some new songs you might not have thought about before

kev9100 wrote: »
    how about superman by lazlo bane? its the scrubs theme tune and great fun to play.

also oasis have a great b-side called cigarettes in hell thats good as well.

hope i helped

Thanks for that Kev.
    Ill give that scrubs song a bash and see how it sounds. Wish I had a banjo lying around somewhere now.

And I would have considered myself to be a pretty big oasis fan but I've never heard of that song before. Gonna try and stay away from their songs at the moment.
    Played an unhealthy amount of oasis in my last group.
    Actually if your in temple bar anytime soon,there is a guy who plays covers in the quays bar and he does some pretty cool covers like the killers and stuff. It could give you some inspiration as to some new songs you might not have thought about before

Cool, I wont be in templebar for a while but I wouldnt mind checking his stuff out. Do you know what his name is?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭discobeaker

Cool, I wont be in templebar for a while but I wouldnt mind checking his stuff out. Do you know what his name is?

Sorry mate i dont know his name but he has blonde hair and i think he is english but you should be able to spot him. He is actually pretty good. Think he plays most days in the afternoon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Shadow of the day by Linkin Park - like to hear a decent cover of that,
    Some Jimmy Eat World stuff aswell perhaps, Bon Iver & Newton Faulkner have some seriously good acoustic songs if you'd wanna try those too

PaulieC wrote: »
    Shadow of the day by Linkin Park - like to hear a decent cover of that,
    Some Jimmy Eat World stuff aswell perhaps, Bon Iver & Newton Faulkner have some seriously good acoustic songs if you'd wanna try those too

I find 'Polaris', 'Kill', 'Dizzy', 'Gotta be someone's blues' & '23' would be quite good as Acoustic songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

I find 'Polaris', 'Kill', 'Dizzy', 'Gotta be someone's blues' & '23' would be quite good as Acoustic songs.

Hear you me would be fairly good aswell I'd imagine

PaulieC wrote: »
    Hear you me would be fairly good aswell I'd imagine

Of course, the other ones are pretty much my favourites so I'm getting one in for them. :)

Advertisement