Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So UPC sucks eh?

Options
  • 22-07-2009 8:59am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭

Got the broadband put in on Friday, 10mb. Not really impressed with it at all tbh. When it works it's grand, pages load nice a fast. However, very regularly, I'll click a link and the pages just doesn't load, I end up having to close the window and open again which usually works, although sometimes I have to do this a few times before it works, then 10 minutes later it's the same story.

There are 3 laptops in the house and it's the same for all of them. Anyone else have the same thing?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Got the broadband put in on Friday, 10mb. Not really impressed with it at all tbh. When it works it's grand, pages load nice a fast. However, very regularly, I'll click a link and the pages just doesn't load, I end up having to close the window and open again which usually works, although sometimes I have to do this a few times before it works, then 10 minutes later it's the same story.

There are 3 laptops in the house and it's the same for all of them. Anyone else have the same thing?

Are you using wireless? If so does the same thing happen if you connect by ethernet?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

try manually setting the dns in your router to the level3 or opendns servers.

level3 dns is 4.2.2.1 to 4.2.2.6 and opendns is 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220.

opendns has some extra features, but at the expense of your browsing habits being used for their webtrends research and marketing business so it's up to you which one you choose.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Thanks for that, how do I get into my router config page?

depends on the router, but if you open a dos window on your PC and type in ipconfig/all it will tell you the IP address of your 'default gateway' which will be your router.

stick that in your browser and it should give you a username/password box.

i'm guessing if you just got it and it's wireless, it'll be that new cisco yoke they've been handing out to people recently and i have no idea how they set the passwords on those, so someone else might have to point you in the right direction. there might be info on a sticker on the base of it, or in the documentation that came with it when it was installed maybe?

anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

When I got UPC, the tech set up the password for me. He wrote it down on the documentation that he gave.

Also, where are you located?

• Advertisement

i'm in navan. if you're local i can pop over sometime if you think you might need a hand?

even if i'm not, there's boardsies all over the place, i'm sure someone would be local to you who could have a look if you need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

vibe666 wrote: »
    i'm in navan. if you're local i can pop over sometime if you think you might need a hand?

even if i'm not, there's boardsies all over the place, i'm sure someone would be local to you who could have a look if you need.

Sorry that was directed at the OP. I was wondering if he was in an area that has poor UPC service or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

mobius42 wrote: »
    Sorry that was directed at the OP. I was wondering if he was in an area that has poor UPC service or not.
    will you show us a speedtest result and a few pings to different addresses?

in cmd type "ping www.boards.ie" (without the quotations) and maybe a few others. copy and paste them>?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

Had terrible trouble with my UPC broadband here in D15 since Monday and it only seems fixed in the last hour.

I was getting 75% - 50% packet loss and the connection was unusable.

Advertisement