Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap Fencing For Garden

Options
  • 22-07-2009 9:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭

I'm looking for something that's not too expensive to fence off part of the garden for my dog. I want to stop her coming around the side of the house as I'm fearful she'll get robbed and I want to keep her on the grass side of the garden anyway.

I need about 60 foot (have to get a tape measure yet but checked it quickly last night) of some sort of fencing. I was wondering if anyone knew where I could get a cheap enough type? I only want to spend about 200 euro if that's possible.

And I'll be moving out of the house in 18 months or so to rent it so just want something that can be removed easily enough if needed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Timber Post & Rail ?

I bought enough to cover 60 metres (Approx 3 times you're distance) for €450 last year, has been sitting in garage since waiting to get ditch cleared and ground levelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Timber Post & Rail ?

I bought enough to cover 60 metres (Approx 3 times you're distance) for €450 last year, has been sitting in garage since waiting to get ditch cleared and ground levelled.

Where did you get that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Use chicken wire and half inch round bar cut to suitable length.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Where did you get that?

A small Timber Yard in County Galway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

I bought a 50 metre roll of sheep wire (stronger than chicken wire) for €25 in Kildare and seven 5ft posts for €2.50 each. So a cheap solution to solve my own fencing problems.

However, depending on what type of dog you have, he/she could jump the fence unless you make it nice and high. I used to have a small dog, i.e. only up to my knee in height but he could scale a 7 foot wall!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭jobrok1

We used galvanised building site fencing to make a run for our dogs.
    About 6ft high, 12ft long and come with clamps to hold them together.
    The ones with the continuous bar, rounded at the edges are the best. No welds to rust and crack. And a vertical bar in the centre for added support too.
    They're a bit more expensive than the other type, but ours have been up for over 4 years now and showing no signs of damage.
    Any builders providers will have them. Or else just ask around at building sites. I'm sure there is an abundance of them just lying around given the current economic climate.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I bought a 50 metre roll of sheep wire (stronger than chicken wire) for €25 in Kildare and seven 5ft posts for €2.50 each. So a cheap solution to solve my own fencing problems.

However, depending on what type of dog you have, he/she could jump the fence unless you make it nice and high. I used to have a small dog, i.e. only up to my knee in height but he could scale a 7 foot wall!!!

Dog is a cocker spaniel so wouldn't need to go too high.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 sellingsolution

HI, could you tell me where in Kildare you bought the wire and Poles, sounds cheap?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

There's a timberyard in Sligo, I think it's on the Dromahair road (Hazelwood Road) out towards Lough Gill, a couple of miles out the road on the right hand side. They have a variety of heights and types of boards, they'll deliver or you can go up yourself with a car or van and load up. I got fencing there a couple of years ago and it was pretty cheap.

Just found the name McHale's Sawmills.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Home of my own

Looking for used fencing to close off my site entrance during construction. Approx 4 metres. Anyone in the Cork area know where I can buy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭The Gride

Woodford Timber products in Ballyconnell or Crowes Sawmills in Mohill Co. Leitrim. Both have special deals on at times. Its worth a call to them.

Advertisement