Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

VW Polo - Rear wiper won't turn off

• 22-07-2009 9:04am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,744 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

The title says it all really - i've a 2001 VW Polo, recently the rear windscreen wiper is pretty much constantly on even though it is in the off position.

Haven't had a chance to get to a garage, but was hoping someone might be able to advise what the problem is and approx. how much i should pay to get if fixed?

cheers cm

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

by the sounds of it, I would say you have a faulty relay switch...
    its the little box that controls the inputs from the stalk and turns the motor on and off as requested.
    Fairly common to go faulty.
    Wouldn't have a clue how much to repalce if that is the issue, but wouldn't expect it to be huge money,

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Could be the relay as said, but I had a similar problem with an old seat ibiza (pretty much the same car) that was caused by a short in the wiper stalk. To start with it would only happen sometimes, and tapping the talk backwards or forwards a little often stopped it, but it got to the point where it was on all the time. I got a replacement stalk from a scrapyard, pulled off the steering wheel, swapped it in and problem was solved. Easy to do yourself unless you have an airbag in the steering wheel, if you do it can be pretty dangerous if you set it off, so unless you know how to disable it get a mechanic to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,744 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Cheers for the replies...don't have the expertise to go fiddling around with it myself so will pop into the garage when i get a chance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

There is no relay for the rear window wiper on a Polo. The intermittent control for the rear wiper is contained within the rear wiper motor. I can't remember if the rear wiper is supplied by a separate fuse (as per a Lupo) but it might be worth looking at the the fuse location legend. If does have a separate fuse then just pull it out until you get the problem checked.

EDIT: It does have a separate fuse - it's a 10A (red) fuse in position 6 (6th in from the top left).

Advertisement