Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish tv in Oz

Options
  • 22-07-2009 9:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32

I know its probably impossible but ill ask you guys anyway. Would it be technoligically impossible to get RTE over here in oz? Lets say if i were to get an Irish Sky Box sent over and was to get some kind of satellite dish and point it up towards a particular satellite.

One of my main gripes about this country is the rubbish tv. SBS can be alright at times but it would be nice to have some intelligent television while im here.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Near certain anything RTE is carried on only hovers over Europe and is only meeant for the UK an Ireland. People on the European contineent can get it with a bit of trickeery and a VERY big dish, but here is impossible afaik.

tbh I think Aussie tv is quite decent, though thee amt of channels on Foxtel compared to Sky is crap.

Who cares anyway, its only between April an July you should be watching tv, Ive barely seen one since I arrived and I miss **** all about it, too much better things to do with your evenings here during the good weather.

Though as my location tells you, I miss the RTE football pundits :(:)

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭kierank01

this is the footprint of the astra satelite

so the only way would be to leave the dish installed in Ireland, and run a cable from the dish to Oz :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭SouthKerry

Yes you can watch Irish tv in Aus, all you have to do is get a slingbox and hook it up to sky digital in Ireland and then download the sling software onto your laptop and then you can watch it anywhere in the world on your Laptop, then just hook your laptop up to a T.V and there you go, irish tv in Aus.
    God some people are so living in the dark ages:D
    http://www.slingmedia.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

I know its probably impossible but ill ask you guys anyway. Would it be technoligically impossible to get RTE over here in oz? Lets say if i were to get an Irish Sky Box sent over and was to get some kind of satellite dish and point it up towards a particular satellite.

One of my main gripes about this country is the rubbish tv. SBS can be alright at times but it would be nice to have some intelligent television while im here.

Thanks

For gods Sake just getting f**king Foxtel.
    :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

I hear that Bro.
    Some Ras na Run would be the bomb right about now, I am also waaaaaay too intelligent for Australian television. Hey lets get together and do maths????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Dude, Australia isnt about watchin tv dude, its about:

Gettin radical on some waves
    big2.jpg

Grinding on the half pipe to the max
    DSC_6804.JPG

Getting insane out of a plane
    54sport1.jpg

Riding the $hit out of a dolphin
    extreme-sports-1.jpg

Get out in theopen air and be free for once in your life dude!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 DavidCarroll

i hear oz tv has ads every 15 min and some of them are pretty awful

• Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

See the site in my sig? Go to it, add /download/ and ya'll find a file in a folder called marc. Open it in windows media player. I'm in the pub now but pm me and i'll explain later how it works. I'll prob delete this msg tomorrow so just so ya know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Diamondmaker

Problem is that most of Oz TV is actually American TV and the adds ruin the TV experience on all channels bar SBS and ABC. I never watch movies now on 7, 9 or 10 because I know I will go mad and walk out on it towards the end as the adds get more and moe frequent.

I watch F all TV too but if you watch the TV guide you can find all sorts of decent shows and news on what I call the grown up channels; SBS and ABC.
    they cater to over 30s in the main..Its a mix of good import ( non American Prime Time and decent home grown.

Dont tell my mom im in....
    Chaser
    Father Ted
    Red Dwarf
    Rock Wiz if your a muso
    The Ascent of Money
    Top Gear UK
    James Mays own show too

Just a few of the shows I have been watching on the grown up channels.

Even |foxtel annoys the sh1t out of me, its pay TV but you still have adds !

I will get a foxtel pacage next rugby season with Setanta and ESPN so I can catch all the rugby from home, its alot of add on though to get the full range.

There are a few options other than a sling box also. There a few links on the rugby forum myp2p.com etc that allow you watch live broadcasts where people manage their own channels and broadcast popular shows across their own part of the web site.You can get most BBC and RTE and a whole heap more there.

I have only watched it for rugby games and its a bit frustrating if your not an IT head and dont have super computer and great internet bandwith / speed. I never had the patince for it to want tow watch t=TV that much that I was prepared to do it on line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭weepee

Cant ever understand all this 'most of the year ya wouldnt watch TV in Oz', much better idea to sit outside and get cooked I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

Of course there is a great amount of time for the outdoors in Oz, but there are times especially if the weather's poor or too hot to do much outdoors, you're hungover, lacking money etc. when watching TV's the main option. And from my spell in Australia the mainstream telly there is pretty poor compared to Ireland or the UK.

The commercial channels, seven, nine and ten, have a frequency of advert breaks that has the potential to drive people used to watching TV at home in Ireland insane, especially Ten and its affiliates - one night I was staying with an aunt of mine in northern NSW watching CSI on Southern Cross (Ten affiliate) and in the course of an hour there were at least four ad breaks! I say at least four because I gave up counting after that, might have been five or six! They're not short breaks either, they're as long or even longer than ad breaks back home. It was no wonder that most of the time she just recorded them and watched it the next day, FForwarding when needed. Seven and Nine are not much better, always expect at least two ad breaks in a 30 minute programme.

Another thing that is annoying is that during televised sports matches, if a goal/try is scored, the coverage will almost straight away cut to a 30 second commercial. Talk about a passion killer if you're celebrating or want to see a replay!

The ABC and SBS are a notch above the commercial channels. SBS do carry advertising though it isn't as much as the commercial channels. ABC carry none. Those used to watching PSB channels like RTÉ or BBC can find the ABC rather dull at first, but it isn't aimed at chasing ratings normally and rarely top ratings tables - the Chaser's War on Everything has been one exception, and that finished last week for good. Take the ABC for what it is and its not a bad channel. SBS is the "multicultural" channel, mainly showing foreign news broadcasts from the previous night (local time) in the morning and early afternoons and show some foreign language programming (sometimes subtitled in English) in the evenings though they do show some original, popular English language programming like Top Gear, Mythbusters and South Park. They've recently done a local version of Top Gear themselves. The now defunct SBS World News Channel I think is one idea that could be replicated throughout Europe by the EBU at little cost.

One thing across all channels is that UK programming is quite popular and appears on a regular basis, particulary on ABC but even Nine show the Antiques Roadshow!

A few things that Aussie TV does better in is that the stations still have a sense of local identity in terms of promos, news etc. even if many of their programmes are imported. Also despite the intrusion of ads at bad times, major sports fixtures like the AFL and NRL are still shown on free-to-air commercial channels at least within their own cities, and are not tied up completely by pay-tv, unlike the case with Sky over here for all bar a few games.

Trust me, after being exposed to Australian TV (and I'm told television in NZ is worse still) RTÉ and even TV3 don't seem so bad!

Anyway, that's enough of that! To answer the original question, not, it's not possible to get RTÉ via Sky satellite TV in Australia and it wouldn't matter if you got the biggest dish ever for it, the satellite is below the horizon in Oz. For Gaelic games, rugby (Heiniken Cup etc.) and so on your best bet is Foxtel or Austar depending on where you live. Setanta Sports should be available as an added bonus via these platforms, and they are offering themselves as a stand-alone channel and also paid-for online streaming as well.

The Slingbox is also an option, however the home receiver needs a decent upload speed for the broadband connection, the more the better, and the download/upload cap could be eaten into this pretty quickly. It's fine as a temporary or series of one-off uses, but not on a 24/7 basis IMO.

If you're only looking for specific games, various sports forums should be able to provide links to streaming coverage of the games concerned.

That's about it really, no more I can think off.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭DamoDLK

Actually i notice that as said above was watching oceans 11 the other night on ten, the last hour of the movie had add every 5 mins, i was Fu*kin raging.. ruins the entire thing. Stopped watching movies on ozzie tele as a result.

At home they run adds once during a show - half way. but here its like 3 add runs.. ffs

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Slingbox FTW.

Watched the Grand Prix the other week from one based in Ireland to get the BBC coverage as the hotel didn't have the right channels, I also have another box setup in the UK so that I can get something other than the NI regional variations at times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

The OP sounds like a member of the flat earth society :)

Advertisement