Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barry's Foto Shop Skerries

Options
  • 22-07-2009 9:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭

Does anyone remember Barry's Foto Shop in Skerries years and years ago? I think it was owned by a guy called Barry Mason. He used to take pictures at the Skerries 100 races each July.

When did it close and does anyone know what happened to the undoubtedly huge negative archive he would have built up?

Message also posted to Photography forum - mods, if this is not appropriate, please take the necessary action!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I remember it alright. On Church Street next to where the AIB is now. I'd imagine that the negative collection would have been passed on to his family. Not sure if they are still in Skerries though.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭DubArk

He had two children Barry and Wendy. Both still live in skerries to my knowledge.

His son moved up in Churchfield a very long time ago (He may have moved since not sure) and is a photographer too.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Nodster

Barry Junior also followed in his fathers footsteps as a photographer - remember delivering to his place around Fitzwilliam Square in the 80's

If your interested is looking up some old road racing photos - might be worth checking the 'Golden Oldies' section on Baylon McCaughey's excellent road racing site

www.irishracephotography.com (you'll have to register [free])

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Heard of him ok and think some of his work may have been in Fingal Arts centre in Rush, Fingal Indo or Skerries mills

Barry Mason photography is now know as www.donalmurphyphotography

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭whoami1

Thanks for all the info. Yes, it is the old racing photos I'm interested in - mainly from the 60s. He (or someone working for him) took some pictures I have of my father who raced in Skerries from 1962, and I would like to get digital copies from the original negatives.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Archsnapper

I'm Barry Mason Junior. I still live in Skerries and am still (just) a photographer. I had a couple of careers in Advertising photography (Fitzwilliam Place) and Architectural photography. Now I am retired and dabble in stock photography through Alamy.com. See also http://barry.mason.googlepages.com/home

Barry's Foto Shop is long gone and, unfortunately so are all the negatives. That was mass production photography and not worth preserving the negs. Sorry !

Regards to all

Barry

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭whoami1

Barry,
    Thanks for taking the time to reply to me. Enjoy your retirement!

Mods, please close this thread, as I have received an answer to my original query.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement