Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rapist back out on the streets

• 22-07-2009 9:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭

http://www.herald.ie/national-news/city-news/back-on-the-streets-the-convicted-predator-who-raped-four-women-in-six-days-1827204.html

Every garda station across Dublin was on the alert today for this man.

He is Michael Murray, a serial rapist, who has just been released from prison.

The last time he was set free, he attacked six women in six days, raping four of his victims.

Release

Murray is pictured lurking at Heuston Station, shortly after arriving back in the city following his early release from Castlerea Prison.

In 1995, within a short time of being freed from incarceration, the 49-year-old raped four women in south Dublin.

He attempted to strangle some of the victims and also has convictions for exposing himself to a three-year-old child.

Garda stations across the city have been alerted to Murray's release. Anyone who sees him is advised simply to report his presence to gardai.
    Members of the public are specifically urged not to take any action whatsoever themselves but simply alert their local gardai.

Murray’s trial heard how he brought terror to his victims and that some of them believed they would die at his hands.

After being set free from Castlerea, Murray got the train bound for Dublin, arriving at 10.33am.

The last time he was a free man, in 1995, he raped four women in just six days and sexually assaulted two others.

The attacks took place in Dalkey, Killiney, Monkstown and Rathmines.
    Described by senior gardai as “extremely dangerous”, a bulletin has now been sent from Garda HQ to all city stations warning officers of Murray’s expected presence back in the capital, and of the ongoing threat he poses to women.

Murray is originally from Sallynoggin but is not thought to be living in the area.

Approached by the Herald on his arrival in Dublin, he confirmed his name but declined to comment on his plans having being set free.

“What do you want with me?” he asked, stopping briefly.

Murray walked out the side door of busy Heuston Station and around to the front before entering again through the main door in front of the Luas platform.

Approached

There he looked about until he saw a woman who he then approached.
    The two had a brief conversation before walking out the door on to St John’s Road, back around to the front of the station again, and back inside.

After moving into the main area, Murray and the mystery woman went into a newsagent while the woman made a call on her mobile.

Emerging minutes later, the pair then walked back to St John’s Road where they crossed to the far side and got into a waiting taxi.

WTF? It says he's back on the street...but it doesn't say WHY?

He was released early from prison...but it says to alert the gardai if you spot him? If he's such a bloody danger why isn't he behind bars for life?

Yet another example of the f*cked up justice system.

Reminds me of that evil b@stard Gerald Barry, who killed the Swiss student in Galway last year - not long before, he had raped a French student, was up in court and everything - and got away with it.
    Hope the judge who handled that case can deal with the fact that they caused an innocent girl's murder.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭lgoring21

typical ireland,thats all i can say...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭zeusnero

crazy stuff allright - People like this should have electronic tags so at the very least their location can be monitored...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Justice system = FCUKING FLAWED.

If he goes back out there and starts committing more horrible crimes then they've only got themselves to blame for releasing him AGAIN.

Muppets.:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Your first mistake was reading the Herald. That's why there's no answers to the questions you asked, the answers to them probably didn't suit the 'BE AFRAID' or 'OH THAT'S SHOCKING' agenda :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Hope a bus hits him :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

the judge is the real criminal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭WillieCocker

Sounds like it's only a matter of time before he's back inside.
    Dirty bastard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Is his sentance over?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I know, meeting someone at the train station, shocking stuff, what a brass neck he has.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Reminds me of that evil b@stard Gerald Barry, who killed the Swiss student in Galway last year - not long before, he had raped a French student, was up in court and everything - and got away with it.

No, he was under investigation for that attack, and on bail for breaching a barring order. He wasn't up in court for it, and as hes been subsequently charged, tried and convicted, he hasn't 'got away with it' either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Pop's Diner

Que slowed down footage of him with hand in pocket reaching for keys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭zeusnero

seamus wrote: »
    I know, meeting someone at the train station, shocking stuff, what a brass neck he has.

:rolleyes: It's his first day out of prison - He's not a magician...

he had his chance when he was let out the time before and we know what he did with it - leniency is something I would not afford the guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Nodin wrote: »
    No, he was under investigation for that attack, and on bail for breaching a barring order. He wasn't up in court for it, and as hes been subsequently charged, tried and convicted, he hasn't 'got away with it' either.
    Indeed.
    GalwayIndo wrote:
    The following day, he appeared at the District Court in relation to the attack on his partner. Det Insp Roche said there was a garda objection to bail but it was granted.

Gardai were still investigating the rape of the French student when Barry murdered Ms Riedo.

Full Story

Are you related to him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

Dirty bastard.

After he gets to rape another person.
    Some people shouldn't get released ever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭YT

It's a disgrace that he only got 18 years, to be served concurrently. He is out after 13 years for good behaviour.
    What sort of a message is that to send out?
    Perhaps even more shocking is that he only got 4 months for exposing himself to a five year old girl and a three year old boy. Four f*cking months??

The justice system has once again let us down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,013 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

5 page thread about this already in The Ladies Lounge:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055624761

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Chocoholic84

Sherifu wrote: »
    Indeed.

Full Story

Reading that makes me feel sick.

"He is not a human or a man. He is a liar, a rapist and a murderer. I beg you not to let him out because he will do it again," Det Insp Roche read. (from French girl's statement)

Yet he was set free, to not only do the above again, but to brutally murder Manuela Riedo - to take away a young life, and to ruin the lives of those close to her.

The story with Michael Murray is chillingly similar...how far does someone have to go before being put behind bars for life?

They should have their f*cking balls cut off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Mothers, lock up your daughters!!!!!!!! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

A did someone say a cereal rapist?

I better lock up my Coco Pops!

• Advertisement

Are you related to him?
    Are you?

Are you?

I'm not defending his civil rights:P
    How could you defend a Rapist who has shown he will rape until the cows come home if he get's a chance.?
    Perhaps you think he is misunderstood?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Chuckchuck

Why on earth are these guys let back out on the street to prey again. As for him getting early release its madness. Judicial system in this country sucks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

this is going to get messy......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

The cops didnt issuee that plea, the feckin Herald did. Wouldnt be surprised if they lodge a complaint against them. Like really, I can imagine the calls:
    Oul wan "Jaysus, is dat da cops? I jus saw dat bleedin weirdo ourra da Herrild!"
    Operator "Where?"
    Oul wan "In a shop!"
    Op "...was he....threatening anyone?"
    Oul wan "No, but da paper said....."

Lets not forget the Herald once claimed Osama Bin Laden visited some contact of his in Finglas years back. Check it after the next gangland shooting and try and count the number of fake sources the journo uses for his piece.

The Sunday Independent is 4 times worse mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

this is going to get messy......

Thats what he said.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

thing is that our creaky old judicial system only doles out punishment for what you've done..once that debts paid it doesnt matter that the p***k will almost certainly roffend, he's paid his debt and he's back on the streets. Chemical castration is the way forward for reoffenders imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Ste.phen wrote: »
    Your first mistake was reading the Herald. That's why there's no answers to the questions you asked, the answers to them probably didn't suit the 'BE AFRAID' or 'OH THAT'S SHOCKING' agenda :)

Still rape is big business for the Herald.

There's a rapist somewhere in your community, buy this paper to find out who!

Bambi wrote: »
    thing is that our creaky old judicial system only doles out punishment for what you've done..

I think you'll find that's the most basic tennant for any justice system.

You can't punish people from crimes they may or maynot commit. Fucking astounding, i know.

FUCK, i said i wasn't going to get into this....

• Advertisement

Is there a photo of him ?

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Is there a photo of him ?

Here...

Reading that makes me feel sick.
    "He is not a human or a man. He is a liar, a rapist and a murderer. I beg you not to let him out because he will do it again," Det Insp Roche read. (from French girl's statement)

Yet he was set free, to not only do the above again, but to brutally murder Manuela Riedo - to take away a young life, and to ruin the lives of those close to her.

"set free" from what? He wasn't in prison or arrested for attacking the French woman at that stage, nor has she made that statement. Questions may be asked as to why he was out on bail with regards to other charges, given the circumstances but your post is entirely inaccuracte.

Here...

That should be plastered on billboards all over the country so people can see what the cnut looks like.

Also, his address should be made known to the public. They do that in America don't they??

This type of scum should not ever be allowed to see the light of day. That Barry pr1ck in galway is in the same mould, perhaps even worse.

I'm not defending his civil rights:P
    Neither am I.

I'm laughing at the complete rag that is the Herald writing a story about a man meeting someone in a train station in a way that should be accompanied by dark, forboding music and narrated by the guy who did unsolved mysteries.

Seriously, there's no story here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭jonsnow

That Barry pr1ck in galway is in the same mould, perhaps even worse.

Of course hes worse.He blinded a man and hes a murderer.

• Advertisement

That should be plastered on billboards all over the country so people can see what the cnut looks like.

Also, his address should be made known to the public. They do that in America don't they??

This type of scum should not ever be allowed to see the light of day. That Barry pr1ck in galway is in the same mould, perhaps even worse.

Huzzah! Time for a lynch mob!
    I'll get the torches and pitchforks, you get the blind rage and people who should know better.

Neither am I.

I'm laughing at the complete rag that is the Herald writing a story about a man meeting someone in a train station in a way that should be accompanied by dark, forboding music and narrated by the guy who did unsolved mysteries.

Seriously, there's no story here.

Fair enough.
    Well my original post was not on the herald's story of his release but more so on the fact that he has committed these crimes on numerous occasions and i feel he shouldn't be on the streets, meeting women in train stations or not.:)

"set free" from what? He wasn't in prison or arrested for attacking the French woman at that stage

From Galway Independent:
    Det Insp Roche told Mr Burns that after raping the student Barry assaulted his ex-partner at her home.

She was later able to give gardaí a description of what he was wearing that night, which matched that detailed by the victim and led to Barry's arrest on 18 August 2007.
    Barry later refused to participate in an identity parade that day and refused to give a blood sample but allowed gardaí to take a DNA sample from his mouth.

The following day, he appeared at the District Court in relation to the attack on his partner. Det Insp Roche said there was a garda objection to bail but it was granted.

Gardai were still investigating the rape of the French student when Barry murdered Ms Riedo.

He was arrested in August - he murdered Manuela in October.

He was set free from custody (granted bail)

nor has she made that statement.

From Galway Independent:
    Det Insp Roche read from the victim impact report in which the student described Barry as "a predator".
    "He is not a human or a man. He is a liar, a rapist and a murderer. I beg you not to let him out because he will do it again," Det Insp Roche read.

From Galway Independent:

He was arrested in August -

For the assault on his partner, not the attack on the French student.

The impression given from your post No 19 is that she made that statement and he was then released to offend again. That was and is not the case.

For the assault on his partner, not the attack on the French student.

From what I've read, the only reason he was arrested is because the clothes he was wearing matched the description that the student gave? So weren't the cases linked?
    Det Insp Roche told Mr Burns that after raping the student Barry assaulted his ex-partner at her home. She was later able to give gardaí a description of what he was wearing that night, which matched that detailed by the victim and led to Barry's arrest on 18 August 2007.

• Advertisement

From what I've read, the only reason he was arrested is because the clothes he was wearing matched the description that the student gave? So weren't the cases linked?

They were linked because he was guilty in both cases, however......

...what precisely they stated in the objection, why his being a registered sex offender didn't come into account and why they didn't charge him sooner isn't something I can answer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 496 ✭✭renraw

Why are people like this allowed back on to the streets. The warnings being issued by the Gardai is so scary. If he reoffends, who's life will be destroyed and those around that poor victim. I can never understand how people can be so evil as to do such things. Why can't they neuter these people? Its just soo sad to think about potential destruction caused by such vile animals (I'm insulting animals by calling him that so please forgive me) :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

While I don't really agree that someone with such a high chance of reoffending should be free, I genuinely think that the insidious rag that is The Herald is, on the whole, more harmful to the public than this man. It's borderline gutter press that inexplicitly still maintains an air of gravitas with some people, long after it abandoned any lst remenants of decent, impartial jounalism.
    There he looked about until he saw a woman who he then approached.
    The two had a brief conversation before walking out the door on to St John’s Road, back around to the front of the station again, and back inside.

After moving into the main area, Murray and the mystery woman went into a newsagent while the woman made a call on her mobile.

Emerging minutes later, the pair then walked back to St John’s Road where they crossed to the far side and got into a waiting taxi.

Somebody actually got paid for penning this article. The man should obviously be closely monitored but this is clearly an attempt at starting a witch-hunt to generate sales, since Freddie Thompson probably wasn't seen spotted walking his dog today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Essentially thery just printed a story describing somoene (who is admittedly an unsavoury character) meeting a friend and going to buy some smokes...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

He was released early from prison...but it says to alert the gardai if you spot him? If he's such a bloody danger why isn't he behind bars for life?

Yet another example of the f*cked up justice system.
    Maybe they're letting him out so the good people of Dublin can preform some street justice on him. Has anyone noticed guards giving them that nod lately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Here...

If I was Jim McCann I'd keep a low profile for a while...

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement