Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet in new extension not working

Options
  • 22-07-2009 10:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭

I recently completed an extension to my house that incorporates a small computer room. I had an electrician run a phone line to the room when it was being built to avoid any visible wires. He did this by running a wire from the back of the only phone socket beside my front door, but after setting up my computer yesterday, I found that the internet doesn't work connected to the new phone socket but does work when connected by a visible cable running from the front of the main socket using a double adapter.

A phone does work when plugged into the new socket. Is there anything I need to do to connect my Netopia box to the internet, or will I need to call my electrician back?

Thanks
    Chris

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭aligator_am

Hmmm, I'm no expert to be fair, but I think if you can open the cover of the phone socket in the extension there should be 4 wires, 1 is power, 1 is ringer, can't remember what the other 2 are, but I'm assuming the setup should be the same as the box beside the front door. I could be totally wrong now in fairness, sure let's know how you get on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Open the box and check the wires, Make sure both boxes are wired exactly alike. I can't remember the exact colour scheme but if the wire colours are reversed the phone can still work but the modem wont.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭christo82

I've checked both boxes now and they seem to be connected right. A blue wire and a white wire in each. I just can't think what could be wrong. I will have give the electrician a call.

Thanks for your help.

Advertisement