Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can it be true... Are they actually doing Ridleys up!

Options
  • 22-07-2009 10:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Alrighty everyone, just heard today that they are starting to do work in ridleys - does anyone know if its true seeing as there have been rumours for years now that they were going to do something with it!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

I was walking by it on the way to work this morning and you could hear them working away inside it.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 MacAttack84

its about time! hopefully its the entire place they are doing and not just the bar!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭anti chris-t

its about time they did something to the place. Its the only half respectable club in the town and im sure they'd make their money back no problem if they do it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Aikon2009

ya they are and bringing the place next door into it! so i heard!

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭DundalkDuffman

I hope they keep the carpet at least :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

So that's what became of the fane:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭MariMel

heard last week from someone who works for them that it'd be closed for a while. Apparently redoing the whole place.....about time though.....that carpet was unreal not to mention those stairs.....never a pleasant experience if someone didnt want to let you pass.

Toales bar just got a few of the seats that were in Ridleys.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Heard this morning that the place has had an extension built out back and that it will be opened back up in 6 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

About fookin time the smell of the place was horrid!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Kalashnikov_Kid

its about time they did something to the place. Its the only half respectable club in the town and im sure they'd make their money back no problem if they do it up.

<snip>

Anyway, they bought the Tara a while back, and when I worked there (2006) there was talk of turning that into a bar/late bar ala Parkes I suppose, but there was no plans to exend the floorspace of the club.

Of course, plans probably have changed a bit since, but as already mentioned, something like this has been on the cards for years. Im just surprised they have any money left to do anything with it after paying that €1million odd bill to the revenue last year!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

<snip>

Doesn't detract from the fact that it is probably the best run and only decent club in Dundalk though, does it?

I prefer it to the likes of Amber and Silence. Saying that it's rare that I'm in any of them!

Aikon2009 wrote: »
    bringing the place next door into it! so i heard!
    I was told that plan is a no go and that the only work been carried out is the club is going to be redone and extending out into the new extension built out back.

Fairways nightclub (Studio 8) is re-opening too August Bank Holiday weekend :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Kalashnikov_Kid, I've removed a comment that could cause boards.ie some hassle. Please consider what you post here in future.

Kalashnikov_Kid, I've removed a comment that could cause boards.ie some hassle. Please consider what you post here in future.

Fair enough, though I still contend that said comment is fairly accurate, but understand your reasons for deleting too.

If Studio 8 is reopening, Dundalk has officially returned to the 80s!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭not14talk

Fair enough, though I still contend that said comment is fairly accurate, but understand your reasons for deleting too.

If Studio 8 is reopening, Dundalk has officially returned to the 80s!

It is, http://www.bebo.com/studio8club

Just looked at the photos doesn't look like they have done a hole lot to the place.

Went there twice for New Years and it was like stepping back 10 years in time.

Also was like a smaller version of Laceys.

not14talk wrote: »
    Just looked at the photos doesn't look like they have done a hole lot to the place
    New lights, lasers, but the new sound system is suppose to be brilliant.

hellboy99 wrote: »
    New lights, lasers, but the new sound system is suppose to be brilliant.

So its the new Laceys then, 1980s style :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 pixie10

Studio 8 a great spot in it's time.
    As for rids, they would need to do something with it.
    You stick to the carpet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

But by doing up Rids are they not kinda killing the appeal of the place ?

The appeal being that it was honest. It didnt hype itself up to be an amazing all singing all dancing night club. It was just a place with a carpet and a stairs for some pervy viewing that smelled bad but was full of good decent people.

The place looked like a kip but it was honest !?

I am going to miss it ! :( I hate when they take away places charms like that :/ I can see it becoming pretentious like a lot of other places locally.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭DamoDLK

MugMugs wrote: »
    The place looked like a kip but it was honest !?

Na, it was a sh*thole..

We need at least one good niteclub in Dundalk, I hope they don't fcuk this one up, Amber was a savage place, then it became crappy.. Danes was too, but the last I heard its now a Shop?

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Snoddy

Bring back the Arc. :P:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭not14talk

Drove past it today, they are actually knocking it down and starting from scratch. The hole front is now gone, they where working on it today (Sunday) which I found a bit odd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Drove past it today, they are actually knocking it down and starting from scratch. The hole front is now gone, they where working on it today (Sunday) which I found a bit odd.

Saw that myself..thought some enterprising individual had set a bomb off in the place overnight...
    No such luck.
    MugMugs wrote:
    I can see it becoming pretentious...
    :pac:
    the ironing...

Maybe it was one of those unfortunate accidents that tend to happen on sundays or bank holidays...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭event

MugMugs wrote: »
    I can see it becoming pretentious like a lot of other places locally.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

are you for real?

its already the most pretentious place in dundalk

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭up the town

Good to see ridleys closed for a while, Lets just hope they do it up proper, and when it does reopen please let them have new staff on the door. ust say tho I was in Studio 8 at the weekend and it was like stepping back in time, nothing has changed. the carpet is still the same, lick of paint here and there and bobs your Uncle. had a fantastic night, no hassle from bouncers, for pulling shapes on the dancefloor. Then just a short walk home.

Hope it stays open with a decent crowd, Potential is Massive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Mike28

I reckon when they lifted the carpet, the floor came with it. Then the base of the wall came up with the floor...

Last time I was in there, the pervs under the stairs got a twofer, had to go back down to get my shoe that stayed on the 3rd step as I carried on up them...

• Advertisement
Advertisement