Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How Much to Pay a Childminder ?

Options
  • 22-07-2009 10:37am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭

My wife is currently on maternity leave with our 2nd child & is due back to work in October (baby is 3 months old).
    The older child is in a full-time creche which costs around €620 per month.

Come October we'll be paying about €1,200 a month to have both them in the creche & I'm starting to wonder about the childcare option.

The main difficulty I see coming is that my wife will have to get both them dressed & ready for creche in the mornings as I leave an hour before her.
    It would be far easier to have someone come in at 8:30am & look after them in the home until 5:30pm.

My wife has suggested a weekly rate of €250 which I can't believe that anyone would work a full week for that.
    Her argument is that most of the candidates she's considering are also getting social welfare so our €250 brings them up to a decent wage.

Despite my misgivings about this being black economy behavior it may be the only affordable option.
    Is this activity considered the norm or is there a better option ?.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Firstly a child minder minds the children in his/her own home other wise you are employing a person in your home and have to pay prsi ect.

Child minders are considered self employeed and you should be looking at getting someone who is registered and has done some training.

http://www.childminding.ie/
    Childminding is the largest sub-sector within childcare in Ireland, and is generally undertaken by self-employed people in their own homes. Childminding is legislated for by the Childcare Act 1991, which is interpreted by the Childcare (Pre-School Services) Regulations 2006.

Over 73,000 families with pre-school children rely on childcare providers to enable them to work. It is estimated that up to 70% of children minded in this way are minded by a Childminder. The National Childcare Strategy estimated that there are 37,900 Childminders in Ireland.

Childminding is the traditional model of day-care in Ireland. For decades this method has ensured the economic survival of two families. Research shows children benefit from the small group family setting, with continuity of care from one person - often from infancy through to starting secondary school. Like most families, the minded children vary in age which promotes empathy rather than competition for attention. A family home, with regular outings, provides children with opportunity to experience the world in a real way. They get to know their locality and interact there with the local community with positive outcomes in the teenage years. They can develop lasting friendships with the Childminding family and other minded children.
    Parents benefit from flexibility and an individually tailored childcare arrangement which will change over time as the child grows. Childminding offers the opportunity for close communication with the person who has sole responsibility for the child during the Childminding hours.

Childminders benefit by being self-employed as they can use their own homes to provide a service, earn an income and still care for their own children. By contributing RSI under Class S, they can avail of certain State benefits, principally the Contributory Pension entitlement.

Childminders can earn up to €15,000 exempt from tax.

Legislation

1. Childminding in Ireland is governed by the Childcare (1991) Act and the Pre-School Regulations (2006). Childminding is regulated only where four or more children under the age of six are minded.
    2. A single handed Childminder can mind up to five children under the age of six.
    3. A Childminder can mind no more than two children under 15 months (except in the case of siblings).
    4. Childminders must notify their local Health Service Executive if they mind four or more children (excluding their own) under the age of six.
    5. Childminders who are not required to notify, may voluntarily notify to their County Childcare Committee to avail of tax allowances, grants and training.
    6. There is no regulation at present of school age (6+) childcare services, although the Report "School Aged Childcare in Ireland" published by the National Childcare Co-ordinating Committee recommends a ratio of one adult for eight children.

Guide to Pre-School Regulations (2006)

Grants

A Capital Grant of up to €5,000 per full-time child minded to improve the quality of a Childminder's service is available. Childminders should apply in the first instance via an Expression of Interest Form to their local County Childcare Committee.

A Childminder's Development Grant of up to €1000 is available to Childminders to assist towards the cost of safety items, books, toys or equipment enabling the delivery of a safer, stimulating environment for the children you mind. Grants are available to insured Childminders who mind at least one child and who either attend a ten hour, no-cost Quality Awareness Programme or are voluntarily notified. Please note that Voluntary Notification is not a requirement for eligibility. Details and application forms are available from your local County Childcare Committee.

Frequently Asked Questions

If you're unable to find the answers you need on this website, email your question to info@childminding.ie and we'll do our best to help you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Are you serious? :confused:

Putting my apparent naivity aside I'll assume you are. My childminder is very generous and would charge only 9 euro per hour for 2 children which is still be more than you are suggesting. She also minds other children so she earns a fair bit more than I would pay her. Anyone I know who has a childminder in their own home pays significantly more as they're paying for someone to mind their children exclusively and there's generally housework involved.
    As an aside would the person be bringing your children to the dole office to sign on etc. How's she going to explain that?
    I know this isn't your original question but I certainly wouldn't condone actively encouraging someone to fraudulantly claim social welfare.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Firstly a child minder minds the children in his/her own home other wise you are employing a person in your home and have to pay prsi ect.

Child minders are considered self employeed and you should be looking at getting someone who is registered and has done some training.

So a childminder is a "go to" person, same as the creche.
    Luckily my wife knows of 3 ladies in our locality who are willing do the child minding in our home.
    This is a great time saving in the mornings as it means she only has to get herself ready for work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Then you need to look into the legalities of hiring someone to come into your home.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭stodwyer

Hi all.
    We are in the same boat as yourself.
    I think you would be better off dropping the child to a childminder in their home as you know then that the weekly rate is exact. Having them come to your place at a reduced fee could overcost you when you add heating electricity and food onto the rate. Also IF the minder injured themselves i dont know what the case is with house insurance.
    We have our 1 year old in creche @ 700/month. our 2nd would bring that to 1400/month.(No reductions). So we are thinking of putting the 1yr baby into a childminders @ 500/month and the 2nd will be at a reduced rate.

Sean

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Can I just add that I had my son with a childminder in my own home at what I thought was a reduced rate - it was 200 for the full week but she came to my home at 8.30 and left at 6 and like your wife, it was just great not having to get him dressed while I was getting ready for work.

However, after 6 months of this arrangement, I did a little cost analysis. I discovered that my shopping bills were higher because I was feeding the CM also (which wasn't a problem) so I was buying dinners for 3 adults and 1 child in my weekly shop. Also, as this was over winter, the heating was on most of the day, washing machine was going, hoover etc (she did some light housework for me too). So my house was fully functioning all day every day, PLUS I was paying the 200 to pay the CM. As much as we loved her, I just couldn't afford her anymore.

these days, my son is in creche at a cost of 180 per week. My weekly shop has been reduced dramatically and my utility bills have also decreased as the house is now empty from 8 - 6 five days a week...just something to think about!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

stodwyer wrote: »
    We have our 1 year old in creche @ 700/month. our 2nd would bring that to 1400/month.(No reductions). So we are thinking of putting the 1yr baby into a childminders @ 500/month and the 2nd will be at a reduced rate.

Sean

You're creche offer no reduction for a 2nd child ?, that's very unfair.
    Our creche offers a 10% reduction for the 2nd child, I thought that was the norm.

I pointed out the black economy & public liability points to my wife but she's under the impression that this is commonplace & "how the world works".
    I'm afraid now if we take the older child from creche they may get suspicious we could get reported as it's a small town & tongues wag etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

Just a word of caution for anyone considering employing someone to come to your home to mind your children and are planning on not fulfilling your legal duties in registering as an employer and paying the minder's stamp, tax etc that the Revenue Commissioners are looking into this and parents are getting into trouble with them.

I have heard of a number of families that this has happened to and it seems to be happening often enough for it. I've also heard of employee childminders trying to claim some benefit or query something and the family are then landed in it with the Revenue and Social Welfare.

Ignorance of your legal duties is no excuse when it comes to the Revenue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭nayorleck114

Get an AU Pair. We have had 5 of them so far, all were great. However they will have to live with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,666 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Hi Nayorleck,

I'm interested in this thread...looking at the possible options for a child minder and may look at getting an Au Pair - Can I ask if you use a company to find an Au Pair, how much the cost is, and how you get about 'vetting' them (if not already done by a reputable company)?

Thanks, Astrofluff.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Then you need to look into the legalities of hiring someone to come into your home.

How is it different to any other trade or profession carried in your home? like sparking/plumbing/architect etc?

Advertisement