Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog got the cone on his head & looking for help!

Options
  • 22-07-2009 10:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

Hi

Would anyone have any suggestions. Aussie my 9 month westie got castrated yesterday and as to deter him from going at the stitching has the cone on his head. Poor boy couldn't sleep last night with it on and thus neither could his owners. Anyone heard that if you put Sudocream on the stitches this deters him and you can take the cone off? He's walking into everything and its so uncomfortable for him. Any suggestions!!! Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭swearne

Hi,

There is a spray that you can get for this called "Bitter Apple". Dogs hate the taste of it, and do not chew near it. It can also be sprayed on your anything that you don't want destroyed by chewing!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

I'm not sure I'd go spraying anything on the wound!!! That is bound to sting.

Leave the cone on, he'll get used to it and it's only for a little while. You can take it off but only if he is fully supervised and is not at the stitches. I would definitely leave it on at night. My boy was the biggest drama queen about it but he got used to it after a couple of days and it's easier to keep them quiet with it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭boodlesdoodles

I had my Westie neutered a few weeks ago and the Vet didn't give us a cone cos he thinks they cause dogs too much stress. He told us to watch the doggie and if he was excessively licking then he'd give us a cone. I kept beady eye on doggie and when I felt he was going overboard I stopped him, after the 3rd time stopping him he'd got the message. He'd lick every now and then for 30seconds or so then leave it alone. When we got his stitches removed the Vet said it had healed up really well. I guess its up to you but if you can keep a close eye on him I'd remove the cone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

It would be nice not to have to use the eliz. collars/cones or whatever you wanna call them but personally I don't like risking it. Although some people take them off their pets for a while during the day. I don't remember if my collie or little dog had one on I don't think they did..gosh can't remember. But after a rabbit pulled her stitches out not sure I'd risk it..she was fine and only got a few out.

I prefer to put a collar on rather than to put critters through a second anesthetic.

There's a soft one available I think on zooplus or somewhere, thinking of looking for something like that when our pup is neutered in 3 months time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭Blueprint

I've spayed / neutered 5 cats and one dog, never put a collar on any of them. The only time I was offered one was for my youngest female and that I think was because they cut a huge incision into her. I took it just in case, but she didn't need it. I did check on her frequently though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Depends on if it's needed or not.
    I've had both my females neutered. Lily was done at 2years (when we got her) and she was fine regarding her stitches, we just had to keep an eye she didn't over lick. It healed grand. She'd to get a cone for her dewclaw though, they removed it at the same time and it was a mess (*shakes fist angrily*) she wouldn't leave it alone and it took forEVER to heal and she'd to get anti bs as twas inflammed etc.
    She took some getting used to the cone, they do adapt, we used to give her breaks from it but under strict supervision so she didn't lick at anything.
    Pup got neutered at 5months and she didn't need a cone either, she was grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

swearne wrote: »
    Hi,

There is a spray that you can get for this called "Bitter Apple". Dogs hate the taste of it, and do not chew near it. It can also be sprayed on your anything that you don't want destroyed by chewing!

That's for your couch, cables, shoes etc. Not for wounds. It would probably sting the dog like crazy.

Advertisement