Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

some help with printing

• 22-07-2009 10:42am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭

i'm just wondering if anyone can point me towards a good book / tutorial website (preferably a book!) where i can learn about printing my digital photos? i want to start making good quality sellable prints but don't have a lot of money, so i'm not going to be able to buy my own inkjet anytime soon, but i need to learn about preparing my files to send them to a printer who will do the job for me.

my technical knowledge about this is seriously lacking so i need something that's fairly basic so i can start right from the beginning. even some video tutorials would be great :)

any help is appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

There should be a thread for "steves your man" but really he is....

send him a message STCSTC

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

If you want to sell prints of your work then the first thing you need to do is callibrate your screen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

Tallon wrote: »
    There should be a thread for "steves your man" but really he is....

send him a message STCSTC

Steve is your man but he's away on holiday at the moment.

As MagicMarker said, calibration is key!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

i am away on holiday but have mobile broadband, :-)

there are various levels of service from printers

places online like photobox, you need to know what your doing to get the best from them

companies like mine tend to offer a much more personal service, but you do pay for it

so if you are sending files to someone like me you will get help on what you need etc, also you know there gonna last.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

Here's a primer for Basic Color Management from cathysprofiles.com. This should get you on the road to best practices for colour management.

Hope this helps
    David OS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭darraghsherwin

OffShoot have tutorials on setting up basic calibration and soft-proofing on our website - http://www.offshoot.ie/tutorials/56-colour which may be of use

Darragh

some very good reference material on both the cambridgeincolour website

and also on the colour cofidence website, you have to register for colour cofidence, but its free, they have some very good stuff on there though

i am in the process of writing a tutorial on resolution at the moment etc

i have written one about aspect ratios already, its quite simple but i think it explains it

http://www.360-dpi.com/tutorial/Aspectratios.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭*eadaoin

thanks everyone, i have lots of resources to look at here :)

what i am really trying to get an understanding of is how to prepare files for printing in certain sizes so that there's no cropping, that kind of thing. but i know that calibration & colour management are also quite important so i guess i'll have to get around to that too!

have a read of the tutorial on my site about ratios, that will explain the preping for print without cropping side of things

Advertisement