Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Element Six (Formally DeBeers ) in Shannon to lay off 370 jobs

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

Was it De Budweiser or De Miller?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

The company has blamed the high-cost environment in Ireland, which it said could no longer be sustained.

A phrase I'm hearing all too often these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Big blow to the Shannon region. A job in De Beers was seen as a job for life. Y'know like a public sector job.

When I was a child they had a playground in the grounds of the building, we used to sneak in and play for hours.

EDIT: Stupid kid. If I could sneak in to play why didn't I sneak in and get some diamonds...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,108 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I thought this thread was about this lot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Just chatting to one of the lads on the floor, moral very bad, lads hanging around, no work being done. Management made an offer of just one week plus the two weeks statutory even though it states six weeks on the contract. Unions say they should count themselves luck if they get three weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

This is a bit of a funny one for me. My gf works for their only competitor in Ireland and they're almost celebrating that the compitition is gone.

That said don't want to be seeing anyone losing their jobs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Good

The sooner all these multinationals pull out of Ireland the sooner we can adapt to a more national strategy, without the need for placing all of our faith in foreign millionaires who up and leave as soon as the going gets tough

Fcuk them I say... pity about the jobs but its the way of the world

Good

The sooner all these multinationals pull out of Ireland the sooner we can adapt to a more national strategy, without the need for placing all of our faith in foreign millionaires who up and leave as soon as the going gets tough

ah now, i think we should work on reducing or costs so we can keep the tncs rather than get rid of them.

ah now, i think we should work on reducing or costs so we can keep the tncs rather than get rid of them.

The costs were relatively low when they came to Ireland.. They made billions from our economy and then just fcuk off to Eastern Europe etc when theres a hint of trouble

Ireland today is a nation that greed built and keeping costs low for them now won't change anything when theres emerging nations that'll still be cheaper to operate out of than Ireland

Why should we risk our entire economy for the sake of a handful of corporations that wouldn't think twice about ceasing operations here in favor of cheaper costs elsewhere?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

The costs were relatively low when they came to Ireland.. They made billions from our economy and then just fcuk off to Eastern Europe etc when theres a hint of trouble

Ireland today is a nation that greed built and keeping costs low for them now won't change anything when theres emerging nations that'll still be cheaper to operate out of than Ireland

Why should we risk our entire economy for the sake of a handful of corporations that wouldn't think twice about ceasing operations here in favor of cheaper costs elsewhere?

most of whom up sticks (making people redundant) from other countries and headed to ireland in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

But the company isn't going bust, is it? They're just closing down the Irish factory, so surely they should get the redundancy on their contract?

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭dodohert

Said on RTE web site they are *ONLY* offering 1 weeks pay for each year.. is that true ..if it is it's a disgrace!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Disaster.

I know a family with three (adults with kids) people in there. All gone. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Good

Burn everything British except their coal?

With no major natural resources we need the likes of these multinationals to survive.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Massive blow to Shannon, i know at least 30 people working there.

Big blow to the Shannon region. A job in De Beers was seen as a job for life. Y'know like a public sector job.

When I was a child they had a playground in the grounds of the building, we used to sneak in and play for hours.

EDIT: Stupid kid. If I could sneak in to play why didn't I sneak in and get some diamonds...

Thats the wrong place you're thinking of. Element 6 is in the Industrial Estate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Melion wrote: »
    Thats the wrong place you're thinking of. Element 6 is in the Industrial Estate.

No he's right, it's the DeBeers, d name changed a few yrs back

TheZohan wrote: »
    Burn everything British except their coal?

With no major natural resources we need the likes of these multinationals to survive.

I don't mean we should cut ourselves off from the rest of the world =p Just have stricter policies on foreign investments. Buckling under pressure from corporations to keep costs low is no way to live!

Ireland has plenty of natural resources waiting to be used, we were supposed to have the world's largest windfarm back in 2002 - http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2002/01/0115_020115TVwindfarm.html

We could harness that as well as the massive wave energy produced in our Atlantic waters and sell any surplus energy to other nations.. but has there been any desire to go ahead with that from our government? NO!

They're too busy enticing these corporations that don't bring anything to Ireland except uncertainty.

I honestly think we'd be alot better off without globalisation.. http://www.finfacts.com/irelandbusinessnews/publish/article_10005330.shtml

We should try to change =(

The playground he was on about is down the other end of Shannon(by bald hill and the model airplane club).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,464 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

dodohert wrote: »
    Said on RTE web site they are *ONLY* offering 1 weeks pay for each year.. is that true ..if it is it's a disgrace!

that's disgracefully carry on.
    Even Dell upped their cap and they were giving 4 weeks + 2 statutory for the years being worked.
    Employees in DeBeers should be doing the same thing..big media storm and see if the backlash will force them into a climbdown.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

Ireland has plenty of natural resources waiting to be used, we were supposed to have the world's largest windfarm back in 2002

If that doesn't work we should try exporting 'Fair City' to international TV audiences across the globe.
    Fox, HBO, Al Jazerra, I'm sure they'd all jump at the chance.

It's bound to be good for a couple of billion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Just chatting to one of the lads on the floor, moral very bad, lads hanging around, no work being done. Management made an offer of just one week plus the two weeks statutory even though it states six weeks on the contract. Unions say they should count themselves luck if they get three weeks.

Isn't the head of Element Six in Ireland on the Midwest Jobs Task Force? the one created after the closure of Dell? you would think that he could muster hq to stick to their agreed six weeks redundancy offer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Melion wrote: »
    The playground he was on about is down the other end of Shannon(by bald hill and the model airplane club).
    O d social club.
    Brilliant place, it's such a shame cos it's been abandoned for years, Rugby, soccer, GAA pitches, tennis courts, squash/badminton, snooker halls, pub/function room...a brilliant set-up. Shame no-one had the foresight to do anything with it instead of leaving it idle, it's slowly falling into disrepair. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

If that doesn't work we should try exporting 'Fair City' to international TV audiences across the globe.
    Fox, HBO, Al Jazerra, I'm sure they'd all jump at the chance.

It's bound to be good for a couple of billion.
    Al Jazerra have already adopted fair city has an anti western propaganda tool. They hate it almost as much as we do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

She's right.:pac:

Hey loads of Shannon people! Who knew?!

Yep, it was the social club I was talking about. It must be 25/30 years since I played there, so they're not exactly blow-ins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

dodohert wrote: »
    They'll be increasing the body cavity checks on the employees

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

O d social club.
    Brilliant place, it's such a shame cos it's been abandoned for years, Rugby, soccer, GAA pitches, tennis courts, squash/badminton, snooker halls, pub/function room...a brilliant set-up. Shame no-one had the foresight to do anything with it instead of leaving it idle, it's slowly falling into disrepair. :(
    Many tried pappy but no planning permission was given as it is a designated green area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

My heart goes out to the people who've lost their jobs today. Very sad to hear a grown man on the verge of tears talking on the radio about it.

Many tried pappy but no planning permission was given as it is a designated green area.

Ridiculous when you consider the amount of money that must have been pumped into the leisure centre at this stage and it will still be empty. The diamond(club) was brilliant a few years ago. Nothing like pints and snooker on a friday night when you were underage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

A bad blow for several people that I know. Worked there 20 years ago, for about a year and a half. Was my first job and I earned about £175/week. Good money for an 18yo back then.
    A lot of their employees will have been very long serving, like 30 years or more I imagine.
    A relative turned down a voluntary redundancy offer of 120k a few months ago...:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

I don't mean we should cut ourselves off from the rest of the world =p Just have stricter policies on foreign investments. Buckling under pressure from corporations to keep costs low is no way to live!

Ireland has plenty of natural resources waiting to be used, we were supposed to have the world's largest windfarm back in 2002 - http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2002/01/0115_020115TVwindfarm.html

We could harness that as well as the massive wave energy produced in our Atlantic waters and sell any surplus energy to other nations.. but has there been any desire to go ahead with that from our government? NO!

They're too busy enticing these corporations that don't bring anything to Ireland except uncertainty.

I honestly think we'd be alot better off without globalisation.. http://www.finfacts.com/irelandbusinessnews/publish/article_10005330.shtml

EAch of those foreign MNC jobs creates a few more in suppliers/retail etc. As an open economy we will always need to have these companies and there will also always be churn.

we dont have enough natural resources. The wind is very expensive with oil/gas at current rates and no EU wide electricity network. Renewable energy alone is not gonna save this economy and would be a tiny amount of overall exports/economy.
    Wages/costs in all areas have to drop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

She's right.:pac:

Hey loads of Shannon people! Who knew?!

Yep, it was the social club I was talking about. It must be 25/30 years since I played there, so they're not exactly blow-ins.

Great username

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Claregirl

This is shocking and completely out of the blue. I know a few people working there and my heart goes out to everyone affected. It's bad enough to lose your job but to have element6 rubbing their employee's noses into it by offering such a shi*ty redundancy package:mad:

It's time to start thinking like the French a couple of gas cannisters anyone????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,647 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I know people working there too. Blame the union.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

High costs?

Blame the high cost of industrial electricity especially. Its reputedly supposed to be double the cost of the UK equivalent.

ESB unions and FF i blame.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

youve spouted so much ****e on this thread im only going to focus on the biggest pile

we have plenty of natural resources in this country:eek:

gurramok wrote: »
    High costs?

Blame the high cost of industrial electricity especially. Its reputedly supposed to be double the cost of the UK equivalent.

ESB unions and FF i blame.

ESB workers' average salary is €70000. On the other hand, it is said that Ireland has twice the length of electric wire per capita if you get me - an extensive network serving few people in rural areas

irish_bob wrote: »
    youve spouted so much ****e on this thread im only going to focus on the biggest pile

Rain! Maybe we can sell it to the Arabs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

irish_bob wrote: »

WTF, it's hardly that outlandish a statement?

We do have large windfarms.
    We have the potential of harnessing tidal energy.
    We have plenty of natural resources in this country.
    • Ireland is one of the greatest producers of zinc and lead in the world.
    • We have some of the best fishing resources in Europe.
    • Excellent farming lands.
    • We have oil and gas reserves.
    • Highly educated workforce.
    • Gerry Ryan.
    To name but a few.

Advertisement