Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want to make my PS2 multi region - how?

Options
  • 22-07-2009 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭

Hey lads, I want to make my PS2 multi region but I wouldn't know where to look. I'm not looking for anything more than that so just something simple enough.

So where could I get a software mod or a physical mod chip for this kind of thing? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

You mean for multi-region games?! Or multi-region Dvd? I assume games. You could install free mcboot on your memory card (theres a guide in one of the forums here). I just did it a few days ago and am now enjoying many jap shooters and third strike!

Or you could just get some sort of action replay disk.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,453 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Buying a swap disk is the easiest way. The other two ways are getting it chipped or using the hard disk exploit.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Leprekaun

No no :), I want to get my PS2 to be multi region so that I can import games like MGS3 from the US as many of the US sellers haven't caught on the whole rarity factor ;)

I still need to actually get my PS2 first. I won a voucher about a year ago in a GT5P competition thats in Egypt :S so it should cover the cost of a PS2.

Swap discs, hmmm... That would be handy but are there any permanent mods I could do so that I don't have to put it in everytime?

Leprekaun wrote: »
    are there any permanent mods I could do so that I don't have to put it in everytime?

Yeah, free mcboot! It installs on your memcard and is a permanent softmod. However, you will need a swap disk (or some other exploit) in order to install free mcBoot in the first place. Once done, it will allow you to play imports without the need to insert swap disks every time.

Right, had a look around but I'm a little confused. I found swap magic which apparently is a disc which allows to play backed up and NTSC/NTSC-J and they say that no modifications are needed to get it working but then they say I need a fliptop cover or slide tool so a little confused :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,453 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The slide tool is just a shaped flat piece of plastic that comes with the swap magic or is easy to make yourself. Not sure how well it works on the PS2 slim but I think it's very easy as well.

K, thanks for all the info lads :). Who would you recommend to get it from?

Leprekaun wrote: »
    K, thanks for all the info lads :). Who would you recommend to get it from?

I bought swap magic 3.6 from these guys a few weeks ago.
    http://www.futuravideogames.co.uk/swap-magic-3-6-plus-pal-slide-card-ps2-p-8142.html

Delivery is a bit expensive and slow but its hard to find elsewhere!

Also, i forgot to say Leprekaun, you know that swap magic also works on 60gb ps3s?! Useful to know ;)

Cheers animax :). I'll look into that site.

animaX wrote: »
    Also, i forgot to say Leprekaun, you know that swap magic also works on 60gb ps3s?! Useful to know ;)

Have you tested that? Would love to know because it means I could retire my PS2.

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Have you tested that? Would love to know because it means I could retire my PS2.

No, haven't tested since I haven't bought ps3 yet (or may never!), but I have read a thread confirming it works on pal and ntsc ps3s with back compatibility. However, I don't think that it works with "actual disks"!! It works by loading backups via usb harddrive (or usb thumbstick). So you might want to hold on to your ps2 a bit longer.

Hmm, interesting, expecially considering I have all my games backed up on a hard disk that I use on my PS2 to save laser wear.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Hmm, interesting, expecially considering I have all my games backed up on a hard disk that I use on my PS2 to save laser wear.

Is that the official ps2 hard disk or another brand? My ps2's laser is broken so I have no choice! The usb loader compatibility is pretty good, the only games that haven't worked for me so far are the newer GTA (...stories) games.

Nope, any hard disk thats 120GB or less will work with the network adapter hard disk exploit. Some won't fit it so it requires some modification of the network adapter (or do what I did, rip the cover off so the hard disk connectors are free :) )

You will need the laser to be working though because the exploit is activated when the PS2 detects a certain PS1 game in the drive. Usually there's HD loaders released to fix problematic games. There's some trouble with DVD9 games but they can be reduced to DVD7 sizes with a hand program.

Advertisement