Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dragons Den BBC2 9pm

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Is that on tonight? I might watch it for the craic if I think of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Samoa Joe

From Blondepoker

"Episode 2 of the new series JJ Hazan, poker player ..Gutshot player, UK circuit player, had a big draw at the Amsterdam Masterclassics couple of years back, seeks £65,000 from the Dragons for backing to play in poker tournaments!"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Will be lol'd at.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Ste05

Sky+'ing it ATM... should be fun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

So from what i can gather looking at his HMP guy lands a big €355k score back in 2006 plays the circuit for 3 years has a few minor cashes but more or less has spunked the €355k on tourney entries and now wants to be staked to the tune of 65k.

Not a chance he gets backed on this

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭a-k-47

lol i need to see this.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭the_pits

fail-owned-action-comics-fail.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 427 ✭✭GKidd

Nice Guy...Can't beat a bit of midweek epic failure though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭NickyOD

wow. This is going to be hilatious!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭ianmc38

Wow. What an idiot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭smcb

prop bet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭jbravado

Any online linkage for this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭The C Kid

Anyone offering prices that he'll get backed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭nicnicnic

Why are people dismissing this so quickly as an investment opportunity. MTT Staking is big business ATM with some huge investors inside the game, sheets n Bax invest millions each year, Channing has evolved a structured staking scheme that I'm sure will have a greater return then most investment opportunities. I've played with this gent a few times and he wouldn't be my ideal choice for a stake but I'm sure he has his own agenda for going on dragons den

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭YULETIRED

Dragon 1 : so what is you VPIP over your last, say 2000 hands.
    JJ: huh?
    Dragon 2 : What heads up display do you use ?
    JJ : I get text messages when there are upcoming tournaments so I'm well informed
    Dragon 3 : Do you suffer from TLS when playing in bigger buy ins ?
    JJ : ah fk off forget it, ye have me on uber tilt now. keep yer fking money. FFS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭El Stuntman

The C Kid wrote: »
    Anyone offering prices that he'll get backed?

is the Australian dragon still there? He's very clued in from a mathematical POV so would be interesting to see what he makes of this guy

he will obviously get laughed off the stage anyway

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 427 ✭✭GKidd

nicnicnic wrote: »
    Why are people dismissing this so quickly as an investment opportunity. MTT Staking is big business ATM with some huge investors inside the game, sheets n Bax invest millions each year, Channing has evolved a structured staking scheme that I'm sure will have a greater return then most investment opportunities. I've played with this gent a few times and he wouldn't be my ideal choice for a stake but I'm sure he has his own agenda for going on dragons den

MTT staking is one thing but live staking is another. Luckboxing a donkament a few years back ain't solid grounds for investment. He wouldn't be my choice either by a long shot. I actually remember players breathing a sigh of relief when he arrived at the Vic.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

Think he'll get backed alright. They backed some guy running a pub poker league a few years ago so anything is possible!

is the Australian dragon still there? He's very clued in from a mathematical POV so would be interesting to see what he makes of this guy

he will obviously get laughed off the stage anyway

Richard Farleigh? No, he was replaced by James Caan two seasons ago or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭El Stuntman

Degag wrote: »
    Richard Farleigh? No, he was replaced by James Caan two seasons ago or so.

yeah that's the guy - I don't watch much tv so not up to date. I remember being very impressed by him though.

The chances of a poker player being able to persuade the dragons in a 3 minute pitch that it's fundamentally not 'gambling' are close to zero imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Irish Iron

online links to this? sky box is crocked

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭MGLman

Great programme,

Think he'll get backed alright. They backed some guy running a pub poker league a few years ago so anything is possible!

I didn't see that particular pitch, but I'm sure that was a proposal that had forecasts, profit margins, tangible business ideas, etc included.

This is some lad coming on basically say 'Howya horse, give us a few bob for a tournie, I'll give you a share of my winnings'. For this to be remotely likely to be accepted then it would have to be someone that is clearly porfitable over a number of years, and a fairly decent sample size, but if that was the case he wouldn't be asking for money anyhow unless he had a gra for table games, in which case they not give him anything anyhow.

Besides all that though, they wouldn't give it to anyone anyhow for this reason, unless there was some unforseen twist to this, but I can't see how.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭jimmay

Thanks OP I love this show.

I've been watching the repeats on Dave! Can't wait for this now! Can I watch the first episode online?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Aedh Baclamh

Is this on tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭the_pits

On tonight Wednesday 9pm BBC2

The Nuts Poker League never actually got the backing in the end, after the show they went over the finer details and decided against it.

the_pits wrote: »
    On tonight Wednesday 9pm BBC2

The Nuts Poker League never actually got the backing in the end, after the show they went over the finer details and decided against it.

Really? Did not know that.
    5starpool wrote: »
    I didn't see that particular pitch, but I'm sure that was a proposal that had forecasts, profit margins, tangible business ideas, etc included.

This is some lad coming on basically say 'Howya horse, give us a few bob for a tournie, I'll give you a share of my winnings'. For this to be remotely likely to be accepted then it would have to be someone that is clearly porfitable over a number of years, and a fairly decent sample size, but if that was the case he wouldn't be asking for money anyhow unless he had a gra for table games, in which case they not give him anything anyhow.

Besides all that though, they wouldn't give it to anyone anyhow for this reason, unless there was some unforseen twist to this, but I can't see how.

Yeah, it did but it was actually a terrible investment. It was a £10 game with £5 of it being the rake, or something similar. The complete facts are escaping me even though it was only reshown last week. The projested profits were also pretty pathetic. I think the Dragons only went for it because it was in the middle of the Poker boom. In any case, as the_pits said, they must have seen sence in the end.

I have a feeling that the Dragons will go for it when they hear that he won 355k. As far as i know they won't really know the technicalities of Poker and i think that will stand him in good stead.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭flushje

Irish Iron wrote: »
    online links to this? sky box is crocked

Doubt you will get a stream, will probably get it on the BBC IPlayer after

I have a feeling that the Dragons will go for it when they hear that he won 355k. As far as i know they won't really know the technicalities of Poker and i think that will stand him in good stead.

They might not know much about poker, but they are not stupid either. I'm sure hey are going to ask why he needs money if he is that good and won that amount a few years back.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

I suppose it depends on how he plays it. He might want 65k but it might only be 20% of the buy-in for the tournaments he is going to play.

They might see the reurn in this if he is willing to put up 200k himself, otherwise they might look for 50% for the 65K or something similar.

Advertisement