Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why Crouch Shouldn't EVER Join Spurs

Options
  • 22-07-2009 11:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭

Please send to Harry Redknapp!

Even Crouch Supporters will agree that he has no pace, no movement, no strength or conviction. He can't dribble, run with the ball and he's not even got a great shot. He can't run into the channels, play quick 1-2s and we've never seen him play a killer pass. He's a lanky, gangly lamp-post of a man who's physical attributes lend themselves to the San Antonio Spurs rather than our Spurs. Heck, he can't even head the ball properly!! Agreed!?

However the Crouch Supporters have the winning caveat. A crushing line which renders all negative arguments meaningless. When faced with this seemingly unsurmountable weight of argument, the Crouch Supporter will simply reply 'aah but he's got a great touch for a big fella'...

And there you go. How much do want Pompey, £12m, go on, have £15m and there's £90k a week Peter for good measure - you have 'got a great touch for a big fella' after all!

If this argument is not enough, and i cannot for the life of me see how it would not be. The Crouch Supporter will endorse his point of view with another couple of gems of wisdom. 'aah he holds the ball up well' and the often used 'aah he brings others into play'. Argument won no?!

These tired Crouch Supporter phrases are a complete myth. Let me tell you why.

1. Crouch looks so un-gainly, lanky and so unfit for playing football that our sub-conscious almost expects him to be completely rubbish at football. He reminds you of the lanky un-coordinated kid at school who was useless at all sports.

And so when Crouch actually is able to trap the ball and incredibly pass it successfully to a team-mate standing 10 yards away it is met with astonishment of the kind reserved for the Pele of our times!

Yes Crouch can control the ball & pass it and has a good touch. But so can Defoe, Keane and 99% of others playing Premiership football.

As for putting Crouch in the team for his ability to 'bring others into the game'. Its like Alex Ferguson saying to Rooney or Ronaldo, 'sorry guys i'm putting Dion Dublin up the middle, as he 'holds the ball up' - complete drivel!

2. Now for my tactical argument. Crouch is extremely easy to defend against. Knowing that he can't get in behind your defence & exploit you with his pace. The opposing central defenders simply press up, compress the play and make it extremely hard for your skilful players to get time on the ball. Infact the opposition start pressing the play so much that the general direction of play flows towards your own goal. In addition, defenders have long since stopped competing with Crouch on the higher ball. They simply push up, there'by compressing the space and let Crouch control it and pass it off, knowing the receiving player will be under-pressure. Alternatively, they simply concentrate on winning the 2nd ball, if Crouch flicks it on.

The consequence of having Crouch on your side is even more negative from our point of view. With the opposition pressing, it becomes harder and harder to play into feet through midfield and it becomes the easiest option for our full-backs to simply punt the ball down the middle looking for the big man up front. (Then refer to point 1!). I've seen it time and time again playing with a target man of this kind. Before you know it your playing route 1 football!

Rarely have I seen one player have such a negative influence on a team's whole pattern of play. Crouch had novelty value a few years ago when team's were scared having to face a 7ft striker! But those days have gone, defences have wised up. As have the leading Premiership teams & managers who have long-since discarded his services, in favour of pace, skill & imagination in their forward lines.

Its left to the also-rans or the desperate like Sunderland, Fulham and the like to fight over this kind of player.

Spurs should have no part of it!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭NedTermo

Please send to Harry Redknapp!

Even Crouch Supporters will agree that he has no pace, no movement, no strength or conviction. He can't dribble, run with the ball and he's not even got a great shot. He can't run into the channels, play quick 1-2s and we've never seen him play a killer pass. He's a lanky, gangly lamp-post of a man who's physical attributes lend themselves to the San Antonio Spurs rather than our Spurs. Heck, he can't even head the ball properly!! Agreed!?

However the Crouch Supporters have the winning caveat. A crushing line which renders all negative arguments meaningless. When faced with this seemingly unsurmountable weight of argument, the Crouch Supporter will simply reply 'aah but he's got a great touch for a big fella'...

And there you go. How much do want Pompey, £12m, go on, have £15m and there's £90k a week Peter for good measure - you have 'got a great touch for a big fella' after all!

If this argument is not enough, and i cannot for the life of me see how it would not be. The Crouch Supporter will endorse his point of view with another couple of gems of wisdom. 'aah he holds the ball up well' and the often used 'aah he brings others into play'. Argument won no?!

These tired Crouch Supporter phrases are a complete myth. Let me tell you why.

1. Crouch looks so un-gainly, lanky and so unfit for playing football that our sub-conscious almost expects him to be completely rubbish at football. He reminds you of the lanky un-coordinated kid at school who was useless at all sports.

And so when Crouch actually is able to trap the ball and incredibly pass it successfully to a team-mate standing 10 yards away it is met with astonishment of the kind reserved for the Pele of our times!

Yes Crouch can control the ball & pass it and has a good touch. But so can Defoe, Keane and 99% of others playing Premiership football.

As for putting Crouch in the team for his ability to 'bring others into the game'. Its like Alex Ferguson saying to Rooney or Ronaldo, 'sorry guys i'm putting Dion Dublin up the middle, as he 'holds the ball up' - complete drivel!

2. Now for my tactical argument. Crouch is extremely easy to defend against. Knowing that he can't get in behind your defence & exploit you with his pace. The opposing central defenders simply press up, compress the play and make it extremely hard for your skilful players to get time on the ball. Infact the opposition start pressing the play so much that the general direction of play flows towards your own goal. In addition, defenders have long since stopped competing with Crouch on the higher ball. They simply push up, there'by compressing the space and let Crouch control it and pass it off, knowing the receiving player will be under-pressure. Alternatively, they simply concentrate on winning the 2nd ball, if Crouch flicks it on.

The consequence of having Crouch on your side is even more negative from our point of view. With the opposition pressing, it becomes harder and harder to play into feet through midfield and it becomes the easiest option for our full-backs to simply punt the ball down the middle looking for the big man up front. (Then refer to point 1!). I've seen it time and time again playing with a target man of this kind. Before you know it your playing route 1 football!

Rarely have I seen one player have such a negative influence on a team's whole pattern of play. Crouch had novelty value a few years ago when team's were scared having to face a 7ft striker! But those days have gone, defences have wised up. As have the leading Premiership teams & managers who have long-since discarded his services, in favour of pace, skill & imagination in their forward lines.

Its left to the also-rans or the desperate like Sunderland, Fulham and the like to fight over this kind of player.

Spurs should have no part of it!

Because the difference between these clubs and Spurs is......

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭scouttio

here, im not necessarily sayin spurs should sign him but if he can get 10 goals and 5 assists in a portsmouth side that were absolutely sh1t last year he's obviuosly not crap. i actuly quite like crouch he has a good eye for goal

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

10 goals and 5 assits well when your the only one who is up there pllaying in a forward position everything goes through him so you'd hope he'd get some goals. I reckon Keane and defoe upfront could do a good job and if only we could train Daws to be a right back we'd have a player in the box that can seriously head the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Berbatov only got 9 goals in the PL last season and he played 31 matches ........

How many games did Crouch play to score 11

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

quick wiki says 32 league apps and 10 goals
    41 in all comps with 16 goals

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭IrishIrish

He'd probably be a good signing. Has a great touch for a big fella..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I can tell you this now I'm no fan of crouch much basically like any england player.

However, Off the top of my head i'd say he's scored 50 odd goals in around 150 games in the last 5 odd years. Now if we can sign the bid daddy long legs looking oaf and he bags in 12-15 goals with 5-7 assists then i'll be happy with him. Fact is IMO we know that Keane can play well with big players and we know that Defoe can also play with him.

It's nit as if anyone is going to say we'll rival Barcelona with him up front be he;s hardly going to sink our whole team at the same time.

Fact is just trust in Harry, He did get us up from only two points last year :D

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭awkwardboy

I'm hoping we stay clear of this guy, we really need someone with a bit of class not someone who just happens to be tall.

Is he any better than Bent? I doubt it and I don't rate Bent either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭yiddo

whether we like it or not he's our level of player at the moment. would give us something different upfront compared to what we already have!

ps i think that if his name was Pedro Crouchi and he was playing in Italy or Spain lots of Spurs supporters would be raving about him!

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Jmcc001

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭opeldave

Jmcc001 wrote: »

Ha ha ha ha please let that be the end of all the Crouch talk:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

opeldave wrote: »
    Ha ha ha ha please let that be the end of all the Crouch talk:D

Well we live in hope...

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/transfer-talk-huntelaar-sparks-interest-1759121.html

and I see Jol is interested in Bale.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Saab Ed wrote: »
    We should keep Bale,he might come good yet,hopefully.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Well, it looks like its happening. I'd much prefer Huntelaar tbh.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/p/portsmouth/8169170.stm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭StillRickyVilla

Everybody go to that BBC Sport link & read the 606 Debate quote from a supporter!.......!! :D Very funny!

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭RichMc70

It certainly looks like a deal is imminent for gangly fella.

I can't say I'm excited by the propsect of Crouch but he seems a safe bet, in that he'll definitely get goals. Whether he get's enough and on a regular basis is another question.

Hunterlaar would be a more exciting prospect but, as has been said elsewhere, he'd probably stay for one fantastic season and then angle for a move to another Prem club in the CL, so Crouch seems the less risky purchase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Id rather Spurs just stopped saturating the market, and being linked to every single player which comes on the market.

Prime example, when Malbranque was signed. They didnt need him, didnt really use him, and sold him quickly. Im still convinced they did it to prevent West Ham, Man City, or Everton getting him.

The same applies to Crouch, he will end up rotting like Darren Bent

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Het-Field wrote: »
    The same applies to Crouch, he will end up rotting like Darren Bent

I don't believe he will, as it's Redknapp who wants him as opposed to a Director of Football, and 'Arry has worked with him before.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Nexus

What a ****in joke, any expectations have gone right out the window with the signing of crouch. Harry this aint ****in pompey!

Nexus wrote: »
    What a ****in joke, any expectations have gone right out the window with the signing of crouch. Harry this aint ****in pompey!

How about Mr Levy, loosen the purse strings?

Or perhaps more significant, Mr Levy why did you pursue a transfer policy these past few years that saw us pay over the odds for young English players with the plan being we would sell them on for profit, and now we'll have to take a loss on them so there's less money to spend on the Huntelaar's of this world.

It's not Redknapp's fault he's shopping in the bargain basement.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭craiginireland

How about Mr Levy, loosen the purse strings?

It's not Redknapp's fault he's shopping in the bargain basement.

Spurs just bought Naughton for 8 Million and probably Crouch for 10 Million... Bargain basement material :rolleyes:

Sorry to be a further doom-monger but i've just researched the following stats:

Player
    Career Apps
    Career Goals
    Apps/Goals

Bent
    Defoe
    Keane
    Pav

Crouch

This player doesn't add anything, if anything he has a worse goal-scoring record than what we have got. Another season of medicority beckons......

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

of course, It would be more useful if it were just last seasons statistics.

After all, i used to score on average a goal every two games, but since I dont play anymore, im not likely to score at all :)

of course, It would be more useful if it were just last seasons statistics.

After all, i used to score on average a goal every two games, but since I dont play anymore, im not likely to score at all :)

I've clearly got too much time on my hands, but here' last seasons!!

Player
    Apps
    Goals
    Apps/Goals

Bent
    Defoe
    Keane
    Pav

Crouch

Afraid it doesn't look any better!

(p.s we'll let Keano off - one poor season due to the Scousers!)

I've clearly got too much time on my hands, but here' last seasons!!

Player
    Apps
    Goals
    Apps/Goals

Bent
    Defoe
    Keane
    Pav

Crouch

Afraid it doesn't look any better!

Why include Defoe's games at Pompey but not Keane's at Liverpool?

Also worth pointing out that of Defoe's goal tally, most were scored at Pompey in the 1st half of last season...when he was paired with Crouch.

Also worth pointing out that Crouch has been rated by a number of managers from Benitez through to Capello, while Bent's biggest fan was Alan Curbishley :D

I like Bent, I've been one of his biggest defenders on this board, but lets get our knickers out of the twist they are in: Crouch is a solid PL striker, and seeing as 6th place is about the best we can hope for right now he'll do the job required of him.

Spurs just bought Naughton for 8 Million and probably Crouch for 10 Million... Bargain basement material :rolleyes:

In the context of the quote I was responding to:

Naughton and Walker are believed to have cost a combined £8m. You were our only real competition for their signatures, and we bought them from Sheff United. With all due respect, that's not Europe's elite we're mixing with. When we have come up against money we have backed down (Barry and Santa Cruz were targets until City came in for them)

Crouch for £10m is £8m less than Huntelaar.

We lost out on Arshavin last summer over £1.5m, then our neighbours got him for about £8m less in the January window.

Our chairman won't pay the wages, and he won't pay the transfer fees when it comes to players who might really improve our squad and push us forward. That's why we're looking at Viera on a free instead of Barry for £10m+.

Why include Defoe's games at Pompey but not Keane's at Liverpool?

Also worth pointing out that of Defoe's goal tally, most were scored at Pompey in the 1st half of last season...when he was paired with Crouch.

Also worth pointing out that Crouch has been rated by a number of managers from Benitez through to Capello, while Bent's biggest fan was Alan Curbishley :D

I like Bent, I've been one of his biggest defenders on this board, but lets get our knickers out of the twist they are in: Crouch is a solid PL striker, and seeing as 6th place is about the best we can hope for right now he'll do the job required of him.

Keane's was a mistake, was updating it when you replied.

Defore was injured for the second half of the season!!

Crouch was rated so highly that Benitez couldn't wait to get rid of him, he would still be there if he rated him! If you remember Crouch scored a glut of goals in the space of a month to save Southampton from relegation & Benitez took a chance on him. Then Crouch went through that ridiculous goal famine at Liverpool (he didn't score in his first 19 games) & he never really established himself there. Benitez preferred the quality, skill & movement of Torres & Gerrard as you say.
    Crouch has been part of the England set-up since the days of that great manager Steve MacLaren. Although Capello has kept him in the squad, he is clearly not even 3rd or 4th choice (even Heskey is infront of him in the pecking order).

Although not top-class, Bent has never had a decent run with Spurs & actually has the best goal-scoring record of all our strikers...

I agree that Crouch is a solid PL striker (thats my point, we are Tottenham Hotspur, not Portsmouth)

Crouch was rated so highly that Benitez couldn't wait to get rid of him, he would still be there if he rated him!

Benitez did rate him, just not as a starter ahead of Torres and Gerrard. Crouch wasn't happy being 3rd choice.

It's very interesting to note that Crouch scored 11 league goals last season, 8 of them when Defoe was at Pompey. He also scored 4 in the Uefa Cup. Defoe's stats? 7 league 2 Uefa Cup for the same period. They will work as a partnership!

While you're excusing Keane for his poor season, does Crouch get any slack for being in a side that lost it's manger, it's best striker in Defoe and it's best midfielder in Diarra, all in the space of two months?

These short term factors are why i originally posted the all-time careers stats, which take short term factors out of the equation.

The all-time career stats are the most relavent when looking at a strikers goal-scoring capabilities and they look even worse..

p.s the only possible reason for buying Crouch is for Crouch to use his height to flick on the high ball for the likes of Defoe to run on to. As a Spurs supporter of many decades, that saddens me.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭glanman

Great wheelin' 'nd dealin' by 'Arry, got pompey down by 1 million... Spurs for the top 4 I'd say, lol

Advertisement