Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why Crouch Shouldn't EVER Join Spurs

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 IlikePostcards

Okay, let's look at the facts. (love the stats by the way)

Bent never really a complete run with us, and was on, then off, then on again. I only started following the Spurs this season, and he never really registered for me. Now I know he's top scorer and all of that, but we need someone who is there full-time, not off feckin' around. Toss him to Sunderland.

Defoe: new sign, and you know what, I don't mind him. Let him heal, and see what he does. He's quick and I think a good asset in the box.

Keane: I like his style of connecting with the team, and how well he seemed to add a presence on the pitch as soon as he got here. Maybe not captain ability, but he's a good striker and good for Spurs.

Pav: he's got skills, as we saw in Euro 2008 and Spartak Moscow. We have two little strikers, Keane and Defoe, and yes, we need someone bigger in the box. He's trying to settle into Premier League style football, and we should give him a chance to see how he progresses.

We have (currently) four strikers, IMHO, I would like to have three. Toss Bent to the curb, and don't waste the money on Crouch. Save the cash for getting a feckin' central defender, and some midfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Defoe: new sign, and you know what, I don't mind him. Let him heal, and see what he does. He's quick and I think a good asset in the box.

Keane: I like his style of connecting with the team, and how well he seemed to add a presence on the pitch as soon as he got here. Maybe not captain ability, but he's a good striker and good for Spurs.

You do know they both played a number of seasons at Spurs before we sold them on then bought them back?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Crouch was rated so highly that Benitez couldn't wait to get rid of him, he would still be there if he rated him!

Actually Rafa had offered Crouch a new contract just before he left, Rafa wanted to keep him, Crouch wanted to leave for first team football-which wasn't going to happen in a hurry when you have a couple of the best players in the world ahead of you in the pecking order.

Crouch is a quality player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Actually Rafa had offered Crouch a new contract just before he left, Rafa wanted to keep him, Crouch wanted to leave for first team football-which wasn't going to happen in a hurry when you have a couple of the best players in the world ahead of you in the pecking order.

Crouch is a quality player.

imo Crouch is a donkey , only striker safe is defoe. Harry has a case to get rid of 2 outta 3 between pav keano and bent . Much prefer if we paid the extra few quid to get Huntelaar in but as we all know Mr Levy tight with the bobs

• Company Representative Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Gamesnash.ie: Pat

Comes down to trust here doesn't it ?

Do you trust Harrys judgement ?

Circumstances are the circumstances, money is tight and as things stand we're not a top 4 club capable of attracting the very best strikers around.

Crouch isn't the best striker in the PL - Torres and Gerrard would be picked ahead of him by most sane managers out there. Doesn't mean Rafa didn't think he was capable of doing a job. Hard as it is to swallow where we are in the pecking order means we are going to have to settle for players in all positions who would not make it regularly in some other first teams. The challenge is can we bridge that gap - or preferably how can we bridge the gap. And that means finding players not quite good enough for the very top and getting the very best out of them - get into a position where we can keep them instead of situations like berbatov etc and build a squad.

I can't think of a better manager to do this than Harry. And considering he knows and has managed Crocuh before and wants him now ( he probably wants Torres a lot more ! but from within our realistic expectations and budget he wants Crouch ) - that's enough of a vote of confidence for me to say bring him on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46 dmcevoy24

give mecrouchover bent anyday...........crouch as will defoe be on top form from the off the cement their world cup places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭sew

You do know they both played a number of seasons at Spurs before we sold them on then bought them back?

You know Ro - i think he didn't hehehe - ah well god bless his yanky yid socks! hehe:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭StillRickyVilla

Comes down to trust here doesn't it ?

Do you trust Harrys judgement ?

Circumstances are the circumstances, money is tight and as things stand we're not a top 4 club capable of attracting the very best strikers around.

Crouch isn't the best striker in the PL - Torres and Gerrard would be picked ahead of him by most sane managers out there. Doesn't mean Rafa didn't think he was capable of doing a job. Hard as it is to swallow where we are in the pecking order means we are going to have to settle for players in all positions who would not make it regularly in some other first teams. The challenge is can we bridge that gap - or preferably how can we bridge the gap. And that means finding players not quite good enough for the very top and getting the very best out of them - get into a position where we can keep them instead of situations like berbatov etc and build a squad.

I can't think of a better manager to do this than Harry. And considering he knows and has managed Crocuh before and wants him now ( he probably wants Torres a lot more ! but from within our realistic expectations and budget he wants Crouch ) - that's enough of a vote of confidence for me to say bring him on.

I know what you are saying, but its all about having a big club, Tottenham Hotspur mentality - and that comes from the top. I WANT an ambitious chairman & coach that are talking CL.

It all comes from the top. Where the actions & message from the top are ambitious & we have a 'can-do' attitude, the players & fans follow & we CAN make things happen.

The fact that Levy has spent his weekend discussing parting another £10m on mediocre (remember we've spent a lot more than Arsenal over the years), says it all....

I would have spent that time & money marketing the club to an arab multi-billionnaire, or maybe taken the £26m (Crouch + Sheff Utd signings + Zakora) and signed someone really worthwhile (who's looking for a challenge - remember Klinsmann) who can propel us to where we belong!

Redknapp is no more than Levy's safety net to ensure we don't get relegated.

If the fans just accept whats going on, the players, chairman & coach will simply see success as staying in the prem whilst they pick up their millions!!!

I say lets barricade the High Road!! Hahah! (by the way guys, don't worry i go through these rants every July in the hope something major happens, as soon as the season kicks off i'll, at most, cast a cursory glance at our average results, curse quietly to myself & get on with my life!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭BOLT

I know what you are saying, but its all about having a big club, Tottenham Hotspur mentality - and that comes from the top. I WANT an ambitious chairman & coach that are talking CL.

It all comes from the top. Where the actions & message from the top are ambitious & we have a 'can-do' attitude, the players & fans follow & we CAN make things happen.

The fact that Levy has spent his weekend discussing parting another £10m on mediocre (remember we've spent a lot more than Arsenal over the years), says it all....

I would have spent that time & money marketing the club to an arab multi-billionnaire, or maybe taken the £26m (Crouch + Sheff Utd signings + Zakora) and signed someone really worthwhile (who's looking for a challenge - remember Klinsmann) who can propel us to where we belong!

Redknapp is no more than Levy's safety net to ensure we don't get relegated.

If the fans just accept whats going on, the players, chairman & coach will simply see success as staying in the prem whilst they pick up their millions!!!

I say lets barricade the High Road!! Hahah! (by the way guys, don't worry i go through these rants every July in the hope something major happens, as soon as the season kicks off i'll, at most, cast a cursory glance at our average results, curse quietly to myself & get on with my life!)

Seems to me that there is an awful lot of negativity about.
    Crouch (If signed) and Defoe were forming a very good partnership at Portsmouth and I'm looking forward to, hopefully, seeing this partnership playing together at Spurs.
    We all know that the second half of the season saw us climbing the table and that we, in general, performed well against top oppostion.
    Come on lads, this should be good season!

So do I, but pissing away £20m+ on players just because they are big names rather than because they are judged complimentary to the existing squad is what has us in the position we are now.

Bentley for £16m is a case in point.

Look at Everton, with the possible exception of their front two (fitness being their main problem) they match us across the park...Howard, Lescott, Jagielka, Baines, Cahill, Arteta, Neville, Fellaini...of them all the last was the only big transfer fee, yet they finished 12pts clear of us last year in 5th place.

If any of those players had been linked with us before they signed for Everton there'd have been blue murder..."where's our CL quality, where's our ambition"...how about where's our common sense?

This irrational hatred of Crouch is mind boggling to be honest, and as a side that have managed at best two 5th place finishes in 17 PL seasons then I think we need a reality check.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭StillRickyVilla

'To Dare Is To Do'....

If we went with your mentality we would never have experienced Villa & Ardiles, Gazza & Lineker or Klinsmann & Sheringham. Even in more recent times Berbatov virtually got us to the CL.

In fact we that mentality we wouldn't have ever had a Tottenham Hotspur.

I'm picking on Crouch because he's an example of our decline. Sorry, i'll shut up now!

p.s if current Spurs fans current ambitions stretch to Davie "Lets grind out a result at all costs & celebrate 6th like we've won the championship" Moyes then things are even worse than I thought.

Anyway, on a positive note, COME ON YOU SPURS, for the new season, I hope i'm wrong....

Crouch confirmed, will post a link when I get one.

Sorry, that is deal agreed with Pompey, medical and player contract to be finalised but they are formalities IMO, or we wouldn't be confirming the deal.

http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/news/articles/crouchdealagreed270709.html

• Company Representative Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Gamesnash.ie: Pat

'To Dare Is To Do'....

If we went with your mentality we would never have experienced Villa & Ardiles, Gazza & Lineker or Klinsmann & Sheringham. Even in more recent times Berbatov virtually got us to the CL.

In fact we that mentality we wouldn't have ever had a Tottenham Hotspur.

I'm picking on Crouch because he's an example of our decline. Sorry, i'll shut up now!

p.s if current Spurs fans current ambitions stretch to Davie "Lets grind out a result at all costs & celebrate 6th like we've won the championship" Moyes then things are even worse than I thought.

Anyway, on a positive note, COME ON YOU SPURS, for the new season, I hope i'm wrong....

But Berbatov was someone we took on and brought the best out of. Which echoes my point about the quality of players we are likely to attract. We need to bring in players who perform and then STAY with us rather than buggering off like he did.

There's not one spurs fan out there who would not love to see us get champions league football but it's for me like a kid learning to run having to be preceeded by learning to walk. Last seasons performance was a crawl. If signings like Crouch get us walking then we can go on to run in the coming seasons. I'd fecking love to see us hit top 4 this season, would love some rich arab to come in and buy us etc but I do think we need to set achievable goals or else end up with the usual annual disappointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

It's a done deal now alright,i don't think most fans will be happy with it though but i'm willing to give him a chance and see how it turns out,the question now is who will be sold to make the Money back,I hope it's not Pav.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Looks like Bent is off to Sunderland now on SNN.

tippspur wrote: »
    Looks like Bent is off to Sunderland now on SNN.

Almost got our money back on him I believe, I wish him all the best. I was always one of his most ardent defenders, but we need to accept the relationship was never going to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 dmcevoy24

not sure why all the negetivity surrounding crouch. he'll play his socks off looking to cemnet a world cup place plus he can hold the ball up. great business again from the transfer market genius and we nearly get our money back on a complete flop. happy days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭sew

dmcevoy24 wrote: »
    not sure why all the negetivity surrounding crouch. he'll play his socks off looking to cemnet a world cup place plus he can hold the ball up. great business again from the transfer market genius and we nearly get our money back on a complete flop. happy days

I personaly feel it will be a good signing - alot of play can be made off crouch - your argument that def will play up against him - does that not mean space in behind for lennon/defoe quicker players to nip in behind him - given Modric's Vision etc....??

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Hearvee

Feel a bit sorry for Bent, he came in with a £16m price tag hanging off him, but
    yet as a 4th-choice striker. He got dogs abuse from the fans no matter how
    many goals he scored. But he got on with it.
    I'll wish him the best of luck and just know he's gonna knock us out of a cup
    next year :(

As for Crouch, I think he's a good signing, he's totally different to what we
    have, and have had, for the last few years, and gives us some new options.
    And I'd rather be thumping long balls up towards him than towards Defoe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭opeldave

Ah he will do good work for us:cool:

& when was the lst time we had a player in our squad who scored
    a very tidy hat-trick against Arsenal?
    Prob the 70s Lol:D

Heres hoping he can do it again:p

Advertisement