Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Has anyone used these mechanics?

• 22-07-2009 12:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭

A couple of weeks ago i was ringing around looking for quotes for various bits that needed doing to my car (NCT due this sat).
    Seen a display ad for Services etc by Rapid Respray near Clonee so gave them a shout. The guy talked the talk and quoted me a reasonable price for the work so i booked him for sat morning 2 weeks ago to collect the car @10am.

So sat morning im up at 9.30am waiting for him..no sign. I ring and text and still no reply until near 12pm when he arrives at the door all apologies. Off he goes with the car and says he'll be a few hours max. I told him i needed to go out at 6pm...6.25pm he shows up with only half the work done.:mad: I stupidly paid him as i was in a rush and promised he'd do the rest of the work the following sat. So...same scenario again. Had arranged for a later pick up at 2.30pm..and its near 5pm before he shows up. Im fuming at this stage. Again, he promises itll only be a couple of hours. Yeh right. 11pm sat night he arrives back with the car saying the parts he'd gotten didnt fit.:mad::mad: Im like a demon at this stage.

So the NCT is this sat morning and the bits that need doing still arent done. He promised again that he'd finish the job tues(yest)/wed this week. Yesterday goes by and didnt hear a thing from him. If i dont hear from him tonight ill have to fork out again (i know i was stupid to pay him upfront) to another garage to get the work done by sat.

Has anyone had any experience of this crowd before and if so is this their normal carry-on?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

wow sounds like a total w****r! some people are just lacking in sense of responsibility.

Definitely shouldn't have paid it, or atleast paid him half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭anniehoo

:mad:Lesson bigtime learned.Ive waited 2 evenings in a row for him now with no reply either night. Unreal!! Im more annoyed with myself for being so gullible and letting him talk his way out of things. Grrr...NCT is sat i now have to find a decent garage (which i shouldve done in the first place) to fix the remaining bits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

What work needs doing? Has the car already failed an NCT?

JHMEG wrote: »
    What work needs doing? Has the car already failed an NCT?
    No the NCT is due and needs the horn rewiring and according to "your man" who hasnt showed up also new brake discs. Ive already paid him 300 for a service and 2 new front tyres so i suppose new discs will be another 150 or so...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Is the horn not working?

Rule of thumb really is to do the NCT first. If it fails you know exactly what needs to be done, and a retest is cheap.

300 for a service and 2 tyres is quite expensive.

If the brakes can stop the car effectively then the car doesn't need new brake discs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

anniehoo wrote: »
    :mad:Lesson bigtime learned.Ive waited 2 evenings in a row for him now with no reply either night. Unreal!! Im more annoyed with myself for being so gullible and letting him talk his way out of things. Grrr...NCT is sat i now have to find a decent garage (which i shouldve done in the first place) to fix the remaining bits.

Don't blame yourself, asshats like him are the reason that society get's worse and worse, you were just thinking honest and didn't think that asshat would do such a thing.

Do you atleast know the garage he works at? you should pay him a visit if he does not show up.

Is the horn not working?
    No not at all and its an instant fail on the NCT so i really dont want to pay €50 knowing im going to fail and pay the retest fee.
    CyberGhost wrote: »
    Do you atleast know the garage he works at? you should pay him a visit if he does not show up.
    I know the name and address but it was a "collection and fix" thing which he only half did.

Ah...i jsut want to get the car through the test tbh. Ive learned my lesson and will actuall physically go to a garage from now on. Im just amazed in these dodgy recessionary times "businesses" would take the p!ss like this its so infuriating.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Kartale

anniehoo wrote: »
    No not at all and its an instant fail on the NCT so i really dont want to pay €50 knowing im going to fail and pay the retest fee.

I know the name and address but it was a "collection and fix" thing which he only half did.

Ah...i jsut want to get the car through the test tbh. Ive learned my lesson and will actuall physically go to a garage from now on. Im just amazed in these dodgy recessionary times "businesses" would take the p!ss like this its so infuriating.:(

TBH i am more amazed that you would let someone you know nothing about collect your car from your house on a promise to repair.

Looking at their name i assumed you were getting body repair done not mechanical. Obviously he branching out when other bus. slow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Is the horn not working?

Rule of thumb really is to do the NCT first. If it fails you know exactly what needs to be done, and a retest is cheap.

300 for a service and 2 tyres is quite expensive.

If the brakes can stop the car effectively then the car doesn't need new brake discs.

I agree with the first part, but €300 for a service and 2 tyres is not off the chart. If the service cost €150 (which would be cheap) that leaves €75 quid per tyre, which isnt a whole lot TBH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭2qk4u

Im sorry to hear about your problem but i cant understand that you would give your car and money to a stranger, its one thing if you go to a garage and you leave it there but it sounds like you had nothing but a sign to make your decission on..
    I hope you get sorted soon, if you need a good mechanic in your area I can recomend a couple..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Trinny_Wicklow

Hi anniehoo,

That's brutal. Might be worth looking through the NCA's guide on car repairs - http://www.consumerconnect.ie/eng/Hot_Topics/Guides-to-Consumer-Law/Buying-a-car/Car-service-and-car-repair.html. Wouldn't be standing for that kinda behaviour though. There are enough mechanics around the place looking for work.

Hope you get it sorted.

Cheers,

T.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 solo1484

I agree with the first part, but €300 for a service and 2 tyres is not off the chart. If the service cost €150 (which would be cheap) that leaves €75 quid per tyre, which isnt a whole lot TBH.

I'd tend to agree that its not that much off what you'd expect to pay, but then again it really sounds like you've been messed around...

2qk4u wrote: »
    i cant understand that you would give your car and money to a stranger,
    I know it does sound a bit mad but i had the option of bringing it to the garage and waiting around for it to be serviced etc. The easier option was getting it collected, and yes in hindsight it is a bit nuts handing over the keys of your car to a stranger...but i can be a bit too trusting of people sometimes. Ha! Mistake one there!

Anyway...off to a garage in Ranelagh now so hopefully have better luck with them. The car better pass the friggin NCT after all this :p

Advertisement