Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buy now or wait longer?

Options
  • 22-07-2009 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭

Im in the happy position of having sold my last house in Oct 2007 (just before major crash in prices..got top dollar for it too..), have availed of vol redundancy and have saved quite a few bob...so I actually wont need a mortgage...Im currently renting and have been waiting and waiting for prices to drop so as I could be in the mortgage free position..which I now am...so should I wait longer and save more or be happy that I wont require a mortgage and buy now?
    Opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

if you want to save more money wait if not buy?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

well why would you spend more than you have to ?

That said nobody knows when the bottom will hit so for all we know that could be now. (unlikely it but nothings impossible)

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭TheCityManager

Ah..I left out the fact that I'm pissed off renting, have a teen daughter that stays with me often to consider (she REALLY wants her own room to do up etc..) plus Im not all that long out of a LTR and just need to get 'settled'...

well obviously the decision is one as much about personal circumstances as it is a financial one.

the only thing i would say is dont just buy to be mortgage free. Make sure your actualyl buying something you want to live in in an area you want to live in.

If so then sure go it it. Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭warrenaldo

Im wondering the same thing - I am looking to buy in the short term (although i wont be mortgage free).

My reason for waiting is prices continuing to drop and stamp duty.

Stamp Duty will cost me about 13k on a house. There is a lot of talk about property tax and I expect it to be introduced - with stamp duty being ditched.

So im waiting until the Budget to make a move - prices will probably have come down a couple more % by then also! so no harm waiting. Especially if there is a possibility that stamp duty will be gone.

Does anyone else have ideas on thi

• Advertisement

Ah..I left out the fact that I'm pissed off renting, have a teen daughter that stays with me often to consider (she REALLY wants her own room to do up etc..) plus Im not all that long out of a LTR and just need to get 'settled'...

so you know the answer to your own question.

warrenaldo wrote: »
    - with stamp duty being ditched.

Not gonna happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Thanos

D3PO wrote: »
    Not gonna happen.

So you think we will just stick with stamp duty and property tax will not come in or do you mean that stamp duty will stay AND property tax will come in?

Thanos wrote: »
    So you think we will just stick with stamp duty and property tax will not come in or do you mean that stamp duty will stay AND property tax will come in?

if a property tax will affect your afford ability on a home or not then you're probably looking at houses that are too expensive.

it looks like the tax will not be on PPR's.

they will stick with both I would imagine.

they have already removed stamp duty for FTB's removing it outright would actually inflate the market a little as vendors price the stamp duty savings into their asking prices.

now in the current market that wouldnt be the case but longer term it would.

• Advertisement

A property tax does not affect my ability to afford a home. But I would rather have the 13k in my pocket - as would anyone.

I think with the Budget coming up - putting in a property tax will generate a lot of reliable income where stamp duty has failed.

I think I would rather be wrong and have to pay stamp duty in January rather than be right and have paid 13k stamp duty in October.

A property tax does not affect my ability to afford a home. But I would rather have the 13k in my pocket - as would anyone.

I think with the Budget coming up - putting in a property tax will generate a lot of reliable income where stamp duty has failed.

I think I would rather be wrong and have to pay stamp duty in January rather than be right and have paid 13k stamp duty in October.

then why bother asking the questions?

wait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭dny123456

ntlbell wrote: »

wait.

If you're going to give the same response, no matter the question then why bother answering questions?

dny123456 wrote: »
    If you're going to give the same response, no matter the question then why bother answering questions?

the poster in question questions cannot be answered as we don't have the budget if he's worried about something that is going to happen in January then the only answer is to wait until then nothing we say or do here will change the outcome of the budget so you wait.

there was no real question in this thread

it's like going into the food and drink forum and asking them to choose what you should eat for each meal, the posters know their circumstances and they know what they want to get the proof was in the post so there's no need to really ask a question

ntlbell wrote: »
    The only question I asked was "Does anyone else have ideas on this?"

It was a topic for discussion - not a yes/no question.
    I was looking for peoples opinions.
    If you dont want to discuss and give your point of view then dont.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Well, to be honest your reasons for wanting to buy are emotional and, it could be argued, luxuries. You state that
    1-you're tired of renting
    2-your daughter 'REALLY' wants a room she can decorate
    3-you want to be 'settled'.

1-can you explain why?
    2-is temporarily delayingyour daughter's desire to decorate her room worth paying potentially 20% more for a house than necessary?
    3-like I said, emotional but understandable. Again, is it worth paying what could be 20%+ more for a house than necessary?

taconnol wrote: »
    Well, to be honest your reasons for wanting to buy are emotional and, it could be argued, luxuries. You state that

1-can you explain why?
    2-is temporarily delayingyour daughter's desire to decorate her room worth paying potentially 20% more for a house than necessary?
    3-like I said, emotional but understandable. Again, is it worth paying what could be 20%+ more for a house than necessary?

Taconnol do you ask yourself the same before you buy a car.

do you pay more for a steak or lobster when you go to a restaurant when its not necessary to get the more expensive items on the menu to satisfy your hunger.

dont confuse an investors logic with that of somebody looking for a home. If somebody has personal desire for something they generally pay a premium for it weather its a house or anything else.

Is having a transient lifestyle, an unhappy family and being emotially unhappy and drained worth 20% for the most part people will say yes.

1-can you explain why?

Hi and thanks for replies..

To answer the above..

1. I love doing up my own home, which I cannot currently do..Ive been renting / living with gfs for a long time now (even when I have owned my own houses..) and simply dont wish to rent much longer.

2. she is now 15 and there is really little years left in her actually wanting her own room, coming to stay etc..

3. As for settling..Ive lived all over since I seperated years ago..have owned my own houses, lived with gfs in various areas..incl down the country and simply yearn to be finally settled..

I hear all you are saying re more price drops..but do wonder how much more prices will actually drop..so am CONSIDERING choosing a house and making a substiancially reduced offer on it and see is it accepted...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

1. I love doing up my own home, which I cannot currently do..Ive been renting / living with gfs for a long time now (even when I have owned my own houses..) and simply dont wish to rent much longer.
    This is a downside to renting in Ireland, definitely.
    2. she is now 15 and there is really little years left in her actually wanting her own room, coming to stay etc..
    Fair enough. Does she have a room at her mother's place?
    3. As for settling..Ive lived all over since I seperated years ago..have owned my own houses, lived with gfs in various areas..incl down the country and simply yearn to be finally settled..
    Fair enough - I think it's important to look hard at your reasons for wanting to buy and if they hold up, then you know you're buying for good reasons.
    I hear all you are saying re more price drops..but do wonder how much more prices will actually drop..so am CONSIDERING choosing a house and making a substiancially reduced offer on it and see is it accepted...
    This is always a good option in a falling market. If you haven't already, download property-bee.com and look up www.irishpropertywatch.com to try and get some more info on the properties you're interested in.

I would say that in terms of getting the lowest price, it's always better to buy 5% from the bottom (on the way up) than god knows where from the bottom on the way down. As it stands, you have other factors to consider.
    dont confuse an investors logic with that of somebody looking for a home. If somebody has personal desire for something they generally pay a premium for it weather its a house or anything else.
    I think the sharp distinction you make between an investor and home-buyer is false. Sure, buying a home isn't all about the financial side but I think it's very important to understand that in standard purchasing behaviour, people buy emotionally and then justify their decision logically. It sounds like the OP is in a very financially healthy position and so may not have to worry about this aspect so much - lucky them.

I would also like to point out that your comparison of buying a house with buying a steak is risible. The purchase of a house is probably one of the single largest financial commitments/purchases any person/couple will have. To liken it to upgrading to lobster is just wrong.
    Is having a transient lifestyle, an unhappy family and being emotially unhappy and drained worth 20% for the most part people will say yes.
    I would object to renting being referred to as a 'transient lifestyle'. Also, you seem to equate his daughter's unfulfilled decorating aspirations as "an unhappy family". This may be so but I think you're being quite unecessarily melodramatic. Also, what do you know if what "most people" will do and what does it really have to do with the OP? Each person is an individual

In this post-bubble housing market, I am struggling to understand why people continue to encourage lemming-like behaviour.

Taconnel my point is some people on here cant see past the financial and into the emotional. You said it yourself people make purchases on emotion.

Investors make purchases on financial logic. They are very different so questioning somebodys decision to buy becuse you believe the economic indicators say 20% overvalulation doesnt really hold any water.

Recognising somebodies personal need and referring to their post off that indication is hardly encouraging lemming like activity.

My comments re buying the most expensive thing on the menu whilst not on the same scale is essentially the same thing. Your argument is why spend money you dont have to.

My point is people do it all the time. Why does anybody buy anything but the cheapest car available I mean it still gets you from A to B right ? Why buy anything but the cheapest house in the cheapest area ? Why buy anything but the cheapest meal in a restaurant actually scrap that why go to a restaurant at all why not cook yourself.

everybody "wastes" money every day making decisions that suit their lifestyle true they arent as large as a house purchase but that doesnt mean you apply a different logic to that than any other personal purchase

• Advertisement

I would object to renting being referred to as a 'transient lifestyle'. .

Im not saying every renter is in that position but the fact is your not in control beyond the protection you have in your rental agreement / lease. If a LL decided to provide you notice outsid ethis period you are forced to become transient that cant happen if you own your own home.

sorry if this comment casued any offence Im not calling renters transients Im jsut saying it can become a transient lifestyle due to the lack of tennant protection legistlation in this country compared to say somewher elike the US or Germany

• Closed Accounts Posts: 823 ✭✭✭MG

Hi and thanks for replies..

To answer the above..

In the end it all comes down to whether you feel it's worth the money. I want to buy a house for many of the same reasons. I feel I can save about 100k by holding off. That 100k means have a better standard of living for me and my family, retiring earlier, paying for uni for the kids, doing up the house etc.

Weighing it up, I'm holding off. Even if I only save 30k I'm holding off.

The only question I asked was "Does anyone else have ideas on this?"

It was a topic for discussion - not a yes/no question.
    I was looking for peoples opinions.
    If you dont want to discuss and give your point of view then dont.

you said you don't want to get caught after january.

what difference does it make what people think the only way to make sure you don't get caught is to wait until January.

you can see the sense here right?

there's nothing to discuss.

Taconnel my point is some people on here cant see past the financial and into the emotional. You said it yourself people make purchases on emotion.
    Well to be honest I find it far more worrying that so many people were incapable of seeing past the emotional and into the financial over the last few years.

I said that people tend to make purchases on emotion, but I didn't say that this was a good thing.
    Investors make purchases on financial logic. They are very different so questioning somebodys decision to buy becuse you believe the economic indicators say 20% overvalulation doesnt really hold any water.
    As I said, I don't agree with your (as I see it) assertion that the financial aspect does not merit any consideration when buying a house. Surely, it is most definitely relevant if it looks like house prices are going to drop 20%?
    Recognising somebodies personal need and referring to their post off that indication is hardly encouraging lemming like activity.
    I was referring to your comment about "most people" and your use of this to justify basing the decision to purchase a house on (almost?) purely emotional reasons.
    My comments re buying the most expensive thing on the menu whilst not on the same scale is essentially the same thing. Your argument is why spend money you dont have to.
    And I would argue that the pure difference in scale means that they are essentially not the same thing. A slightly more expensive meal does not mean that a person has made a terrible financial decision, but themselves (and possibly their family) at risk of huge debt or possible negative equity, risked bankruptcy or tied themselves into a 30+ year contract!
    everybody "wastes" money every day making decisions that suit their lifestyle true they arent as large as a house purchase but that doesnt mean you apply a different logic to that than any other personal purchase
    Well, as I have argued above, I think there are very strong reasons for applying a different logic to a house purchase. Although of course if someone insists on "wasting" money that they do not have on the smaller, daily purchases, then they too may end up in a less than desirable financial situation.

If the OP can spare the cash, then this becomes less of an issue. But I think every decision to buy a house involves a compromise between what the purchaser wants and what the purchaser can afford.

An unwillingness to compromise and a willingness to ignore affordability leads to financially irresponsible behaviour. And it was the pervasiveness of this behaviour that helped fuel the housing bubble.
    sorry if this comment casued any offence Im not calling renters transients Im jsut saying it can become a transient lifestyle due to the lack of tennant protection legistlation in this country compared to say somewher elike the US or Germany
    Totally agree. It's something I really can't stand (or understand).

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭geem

I would hold off. You will save a lot of money by so doing. With this money saved you can get a bigger house with a bigger room for your daughter. You can also save enough to start a college fund.
    Talk to her and explain that you understand that she needs her own room but that if you buy now you will lose a lot of money.
    In the mean time take her on lots of nice outings etc spending time with your daughter is more important than spending money on her.
    I totally understand what you mean though. I am currently renting, waiting to buy. I hate renting but I hate losing lots of cash even more than I hate renting.
    I think it is inevitable that house prices will fall more. Unemployment, banks not lending, Nama, too many empties.
    Hold firm and do other creative things in the meantime.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,024 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

if you do wait we'll say 1 to 2 years to buy, is that not an extra 15 to 20 grand payed on rent which could be put towards a mortgage, prices will fall but 20% from the prices today seems like a huge drop.

Do people think there will be really a huge difference between what they'll save by waiting and what they'll spend by renting. I'm no expert, just want to know what people think, i'm waiting to sign contracts on a house,i still have a few doubts, but this house has already dropped from 370 to 265 at present. is a further 20% drop likely, i dont know.

I had a deposit on a house this time last year..house purchase price at 360k...withdrew from purchase.. similar houses now advertised at 270k..saving 90k +.......do wonder how much more i will save by waiting another year?

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭geem

niallo27 wrote: »
    if you do wait we'll say 1 to 2 years to buy, is that not an extra 15 to 20 grand payed on rent which could be put towards a mortgage, prices will fall but 20% from the prices today seems like a huge drop.

Do people think there will be really a huge difference between what they'll save by waiting and what they'll spend by renting. I no expert just want to know what people think, i'm waiting to sign contracts on a house,i still have a few doubts, but this house has already dropped from 370 to 265 at present. is a further 20% drop likely, i dont know.

Well I think so, I don't see anything getting better. I'm pretty certain prices will drop more than the 20 grand you pay on rent and don't forget you don't just pay 20k off your mortgage there is the interest as well.
    That's just my view though. You are doing the right thing in thinking about it and getting opinions. I recommend reading the 'Propertypin' on the net as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,024 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

geem wrote: »
    Well I think so, I don't see anything getting better. I'm pretty certain prices will drop more than the 20 grand you pay on rent and don't forget you don't just pay 20k off your mortgage there is the interest as well.
    That's just my view though. You are doing the right thing in thinking about it and getting opinions. I recommend reading the 'Propertypin' on the net as well.

Yes but wont that interest need to be payed whenever you get the mortgage, i know its not as straightforward as that, but is the savings you'll make by waiting really going be big enough to keep you renting when i really want a place of my own, i know thats more of a personal decision though.

• Advertisement

I had a deposit on a house this time last year..house purchase price at 360k...withdrew from purchase.. similar houses now advertised at 270k..saving 90k +.......do wonder how much more i will save by waiting another year?

it's impossible to know maybe someone else will spot the "bargain" and buy it.

You need to figure out yourself what's most important to you and your child and pull the trigger.

Advertisement