Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Declaring Rent

Options
  • 22-07-2009 12:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭

As a landlord, do you need to declare rental income if its below the 10 grand threshold?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

you have to declare anyway.

and when you say landlord do you mean rent a room or actualyl renting out a property ? Becasue the 10k threshold is for income under rent a room only

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭maddogcollins

All income is required to be declared.

As long as it is under the €10000 threshold and you tick the "rent a room relief" box on the Form 12 Annual tax return you will not incur tax.

As you mention landlord: Rent a room relief only appplies if 1 room is being rented from you and you actually live in the house also as your principal private residence. If you do not live in the house or more than one room is being rented you will be liable to tax on any profits.

Edit:- Beaten to the reply!Sorry for repreating what you said D3PO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭TradeSecrets

Yeah rent a room only. Had a tenant friend living in the house a few years ago and now she is looking for rent relief. Was only renting 1 room so was nowhere near the threshold and didn't know about declaring. Now if I submit a declaration I will get fined for being late :mad:

Yeah rent a room only. Had a tenant friend living in the house a few years ago and now she is looking for rent relief. Was only renting 1 room so was nowhere near the threshold and didn't know about declaring. Now if I submit a declaration I will get fined for being late :mad:

Now that I dont know, but depending on how long ago it was your friend may not be able to claim anyway.

Sept 05 - June 07

• Advertisement

in your case id ring the revenue and explain to them you were unaware you had to declare if under 10k and see what they say to you.

Sept 05 - June 07

Keep in mind also that the rent a room relief rate in 2007 was €7620..If you were over that you will most definatly be caught for rental income and face a late filing surcharge! (as far as i am aware it was €7620 for 2005 and 2006 also). on the plus side you can claim expenses such as Light and heat and repairs (need receipt tho as with a late filing high possibility of inspection)

i would doubt a single person renting a room would be paying over 7k though.

unless the OP was renting a room out in a mansion ;)

Nowhere near €7650 !! So basically Its just the declaration that hasn't been submitted on time. Anyone know what the penalty is for that?

unsure as to the penalty for non declaration but as no tax is due i would doubt that a financial penalty would occur. As said abouve just state you didnt realise it was needed to be decalred and you are trying to get it up to date now that you have found out!

• Advertisement

Thanks, I'll let you know how it goes :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Just remember its gross income (incl. of all bill shares etc) that must be declared.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭jelly&icecream

As you mention landlord: Rent a room relief only appplies if 1 room is being rented from you and you actually live in the house also as your principal private residence. If you do not live in the house or more than one room is being rented you will be liable to tax on any profits.

I've never heard of a restriction that only one room could be rented out?? Surely it doesn't matter how many rooms as long as the income is under the 10 grand limit, and you are living in the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭eden_my_ass

I've never heard of a restriction that only one room could be rented out?? Surely it doesn't matter how many rooms as long as the income is under the 10 grand limit, and you are living in the house.

There is no 1 room restriction.

Sorry ya, no 1 room restriction..i was trying to get the point about living in the house accross. My bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭jelly&icecream

Sorry ya, no 1 room restriction..i was trying to get the point about living in the house accross. My bad!

Lol, no problem, you had me worried for a second!

Advertisement