Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Version control

Options
  • 22-07-2009 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

I need to get back into version control as soon as possible, but I've never been happy with any of the solutions I've used in the past. I was okay with TortoiseSVN on Windows, but I've been an Ubuntu boy now for about 2 years. I was using SVN packaged with Eclipse for a while but I hate the way it leaves .svn folders all over the place. I kept forgetting to do a 'release' version of the software with no .svn and then ftp'ing that version.

I'm just looking for something that will allow me to rollback and branch without investing a massive amount of time and effort.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Mercurial. (You could use git too, but Mercurial is easier to pick up and use, I find).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Thanks, Sparks, I took a look at git and it looks pretty good, pretty easy, but I'll give Mecurial a look first, see if it's useful

Both do approximately the same thing, and approximately equally well, but if you've some specific requirements, you'll find one suits more than another. If you're managing a large project with lots of contributors, for example, git is custom-written by Torvalds to do that job. It's very fast at handling branches and patches from multiple sources. However, it's not as user-friendly (I find) as mercurial; and not everyone's managing the linux kernel with thousands of submissions of code a week from thousands of sources.
    Try both, see which fits.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭ianhobo

Have your tried CVS?

I use SVN myself, and yes the .svn folders can be particularly annoying :-) There are some good free scripts though for recursively removing them if not needed

CVS? Bleh. Pain to go from single-user to collaborative model, and even less fun to change filenames...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

Bazaar is worth taking a look. http://bazaar-vcs.org/
    Very flexible with lots of ways to use it. I found it a little slow, but I was importing a very large project to test. Worth a look I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Mercurial ++
    Croo: How large?
    I had to import a huge project into SVN today, it literally could not cope...

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭DJB

In SVN, you can do an export that gets rid of all the .svn folders, afaik. I think mac's hides the .svn folder by default so never notice. Have played with git as well, very nice.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

Mercurial ++
    Croo: How large?
    I had to import a huge project into SVN today, it literally could not cope...
    According to Ohloh 3,212,836 lines. I was uploading it to "launchpad" (it's their default repos which is why I looked at bazaar in the first place) and I have crappy 3g connection, but I had thought it had crashed at first. It was only when I started debugging it I realized it was working just slowly! :)
    But it seems very flexible in its configuration options, so if the project wasn't very big I would definitely try it and see.

I've not had any issues with SVN with this (3m lines) project!? Either local or remote.

Advertisement