Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Walk-in place to buy PCI video card?

Options
  • 22-07-2009 12:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hi,

Anyone know the best place to walk in and buy a PCI video card in Dublin.. I've been on to Maplins, Peats, PCworld and none of them have a card in stock. I could order online from Misco etc, but it's 2-3 days delivery, meaning it might not arrive until Monday.. Way to late for me, i'm already behind a day..
    I feel ripped off using elara because of their delivery charges (50% on the item i want), (even a collection charge now), but also they're way too far out of my way.
    I'm looking for a PCI graphics card that will support at least 2.0 pixel shading, preferably under 40euro, but under 50 is still good..

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭kfish2oo2

To be perfectly blunt, any walk in place will rip you off. The mark up on walk in stores compared to online is insane, to say the least. A good example is PC World in Limerick were selling a Radeon HD 4850 512mb for €220. You can buy the HD 4850X2 1GB (which is essentially 2x 4850's on one PCI port, and offers near double performance over a single card) online for €200 easily.

I bought some stuff from Dabs.ie recently and was amazed at the fact that shipping was only €12 for 3 day delivery on 8.6KG of stuff. Prices are a little bit more than other websites, but I've yet to find a site that has such cheap (and best of all fast) shipping. I ordered my stuff late Saturday and had it by Tuesday.

The HD4550 is probably your best bet in terms of price/performance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Befraggled

Thanks for that link.
    Yeah i know the rip off situation is crazy.. But i'm kinda stuck at the moment. I was on to Maplins in Blanch (Eventually the phone was back on the hook),
    And i quoted him This at 59euro,
    He told me it is 129euro..

Feck that.

I'll try your link, gonna keep fingers crossed that i can get it before friday. Everything was assed up for me since the postal strike in the UK. Think i was the only one affected by it.
    Thanks again. :-)

EDIT - Just noticed it's a PCIE.. Thanks anyway. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭StopNotWorking

Would the collection point for komplett.ie be too far out of your way? Its in blanchardstown.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

PCI? Do you really mean that? Or PCIe? ;)

I don't even though if there are any PCI video cards new enough to have Pixel Shader 2.0...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

Have you tried Marx Computers? Their URL is http://www.marxcomputers.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Solitaire wrote: »
    PCI? Do you really mean that? Or PCIe? ;)

I don't even though if there are any PCI video cards new enough to have Pixel Shader 2.0...

Sparke have a 9400 I think, and there are X1300 and 8400gs class pci cards already...

but they're horribly expensive, you'd pick up new parts for their prices almost...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

... wow.

I did remember a clever PCIe*1 9500GT (actually a good idea IMHO), but even though officially released back in March no stock ever turned up. Lots of confused-looking yanks waiting on it still :P

Would the collection point for komplett.ie be too far out of your way? Its in blanchardstown.

Thanks.. Going to get this one Here I didn't realise Komplett had a collection point.. :-)

Another day wasted.. (Although not entirely..:o)

Gonna contact/purchase/collect as soon as this post is finished..
    Thanks everyone. :D;)

EDIT. - Just to be on the safe side, does anyone know if this card will work on the Dell Dimension 3000 without any problems?
    I have already upgraded RAM..

• Registered Users Posts: 44 mercury127

PCI Express 2.0

Sorry man, PCI cards are rather difficult to come by nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭StopNotWorking

Befraggled wrote: »

EDIT. - Just to be on the safe side, does anyone know if this card will work on the Dell Dimension 3000 without any problems?
    I have already upgraded RAM..

Won't work with it mate. PCI slot on the Dell and the GPU is a PCI-E. AGP is hard enough to find these days, lets not mention PCI..

• Advertisement

Won't work with it mate. PCI slot on the Dell and the GPU is a PCI-E. AGP is hard enough to find these days, lets not mention PCI..

Crud.. I thought i was home free..

Ah well, back to the beginning. thanks for your help.

Every time i think i see a PCI, it's a PCIe.. Dang those little letters.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

http://www.marxcomputers.ie in Dublin 3. Ring them on 01 8531111 to ensure they have it in stock, though.

Asus Geforce 6200 PCI for €66

It has Pixel Shader 3.0

joolsveer wrote: »
    Have you tried Marx Computers? Their URL is http://www.marxcomputers.ie/

and
    the_syco wrote: »
    http://www.marxcomputers.ie in Dublin 3. Ring them on 01 8531111 to ensure they have it in stock, though.

Asus Geforce 6200 PCI for €66

It has Pixel Shader 3.0

Rang them, They have one in stock, open until 7, Going into collect it!!

Syco let me kiss you!! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
    Or just grin lots..
    Joolsveer - thanks for pointing out them first, I didn't see it though when i visited the link, because their site has PCI cards on the sub menu at the side, so i never noticed it.. But thanks a million guys! Got it and i'm over the Fricken MOOOOON!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

that evga is pci as far as i am aware there is an evga pci 9400, komplett must have labelled it wrong, i think it really is a pci card, they've just copied the info from the base card. pci bus is a crippling limitation but the 9400 would have been a tenfold improvement on the 6200...komplett also had a hd2400 which is also definitely pci and 66 euro, as well as miles better then the 6200. my advise would be return the 6200 to be honest and get the hd2400 from komplett or the 9400 (which i'm almost sure does come in pci even in evga variant so probably is really pci, quick email will sort it). when you're buying a pci card no point going for bottom of the barrell when all the prices are virtually the same..any game requiring shader 2 will probably run like crap on the pci 6200...one guy on guru3d has a pci 6200 and he gets 13fps at lowest settings and resolution on counter strike source, one of the most friendly modern engines out there....

Yeah, i got an email from the guy in Komplett telling me that it was labelled wrong, but i had been looking so long, and i was in a bit of a hurry. That i had already bought the 6200.
    It was only after i had bought it that i noticed the email.

When i originally emailed komplett to ask them, i received an email saying "The EVGA GeForce 9400GT should have no issues with your system"

It sounded like they hadn't checked and were just trying to sell, so I asked did he read the email..

If i had got something that sounded a bit more human, or with an answer, i could've clarified that, but not to worry, Job done now, and i have two more PCI Dell's i need cards for. Now i know where to get them, it should be a hell of a lot easier..

Again, thanks to everyone. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

lolwut walkin prices......

Needed 4GB 2x2 of DDR2 in a hurry last weekend, I thought even walkin tax couldnt bump the price far past the 40odd euro on Komplett for some PC6400.

Maplins crappy generic DDR2 6400 168 yoyos
    PC World some Mushkin DDR2 6400 maybe higher speed, was too busy laughing, 197 yoyos.

Simply put its madness!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

needless to say I told em where to stuff it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

Inquitus wrote: »
    lolwut walkin prices......

Needed 4GB 2x2 of DDR2 in a hurry last weekend, I thought even walkin tax couldnt bump the price far past the 40odd euro on Komplett for some PC6400.

Maplins crappy generic DDR2 6400 168 yoyos
    PC World some Mushkin DDR2 6400 maybe higher speed, was too busy laughing, 197 yoyos.

Simply put its madness!
    :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: just shocked

Advertisement