Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would €1250-1300 be enough hostelling in Europe for a month?

• 22-07-2009 12:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭

If you could afford to spend weeks in each place could you get around backpacking in Europe on 1250 a month? I kow it depends on where you go but say in Western Europe, would it be do-able?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭macca1983

If you could afford to spend weeks in each place could you get around backpacking in Europe on 1250 a month? I kow it depends on where you go but say in Western Europe, would it be do-able?

I've travelled around Western Europe hostelling and i would say no to be honest. Western Europe is probably in my experience and i've travelled in the US too, is probably the most expensive place to travel.

That is 41 Euro per day. Most hostels would be 20 Euro per night and that is in a dorm room. Therefore you are down to 21 Euro per day.

It is possible to do but i imagine you would have a crap time, could not really do much and i just wouldn't see the point to it really. I presume you are not even including travel costs there such as buses/trains,etc?

I really would not recommend that. That is more of a budget to South America - definitely not Western Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭RebelGirrrl

Anyone else? What is the minumum for Western Europe? You could get around and see the sights though? What about South America though, what kind of budget would you need for there? Is Europe more expensive than America?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭jd83

I agree with the other poster, not enough to have a good time. you would spend the month worrying about spending money and you would miss out on doing everything you would like to do. Maybe go with that and have some backup money or a credit card aswell just in case you find yourself in a situation where you need money.

Would even €1500 do, even if it was off season like Autumn/Winter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Why don't you go somewhere like India or Nepal.

Flight = 550
    Weekly budget 150 (comfortable enough standard of living)

=> 5 weeks in India incl. flights, food, accommodation = 1300.

India is just an example, there are other cheap, but more importantly, interesting countries to see.

I find Europe too similar to Ireland.

• Advertisement

Would it be sufficient in South America or Australia though? Would you survive in Asia say China or Japan? I really would appreciate your input, I'm just trying to get some ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭siobhank

cost me 3000 for a month. did it last 2 years. 1000 approx for travel (trains, flights, couple of boats) 1000 for accomodation and 1000 for food and drink etc. That was just about right.

edit: accomodation was half of double room rates; you would obviously save money if you stayed in dorms etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Would it be sufficient in South America or Australia though? Would you survive in Asia say China or Japan? I really would appreciate your input, I'm just trying to get some ideas?

Australia? 1300 euro wouldn't get you to Australia never mind fly you, feed you and water you once there.

South America cheaper than Oz, in some cases i.e. Bolivia, much cheaper than Oz. But flights over there are 1000 euro.

Flights to Thailand = 720 euro.

Flights to India = 550 euro.

These are all accurate and are return fares.

Living expenses vary from country to country.

So tell us your total budget, how long you wish to go for and what you want from the trip and we'll take it from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭milkado

I spent 2100 euro comfortably travelling around Eastern Europe for a month doing most things that I wanted to do, I would seriously not recommend going with less, especially in Western Europe which is much more expensive!!

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭johnnyonionring

i'm going travelling around europe myself for a month in november and i've already paid 400 euro for an inter rail ticket which might help you budget travel costs, i'm going to budget about 25 euro per night for hostels, and i suppose another 25 per day on food(which i might not even spend if i cook my own food in hostels) and of course i'm going to have to keep a budget or going to see the sites so i'm gonna be bringing 2500 just to be sure. unfortunately i don't think its possible to ave a good time on a small budget of 1300 or 1500

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭tywy

We got flights to India for e350 return, Dublin - London, London - Delhi, in case you think you'd like to go. Supposedly e20 a day is grand in India. (It better be cuz I'm off there tomorrow)

About Western Europe, don't even think about it on that kinda money, as previous posters said you'll be scrimping. You might be able to manage it in Eastern Europe but I don't really know.

Australia is REALLY expensive, all the prices have gone up in the last 18 months. Hostels used to be $12 for a dorm bed now most are over $20. Also, if you want to do anything cool in Oz it costs quite a bit. Like a trip to Fraser Island and a trip to Whitsundays, gives you 5 days accomodation and probably won't have to pay for much else but it costs $500 ish all together. If you want to go to the Great Barrier Reef from Cairns, the crappest boat will be $60 for a half day... Food isn't especially cheap either.

Japan - most expensive place I've ever been I'd say.

China, you can do that on the cheap if you can get cheap flights. Hostels were cheap enough in Beijing and Shanghai. Dinner was maybe e2 for a main course and rice :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

That budget would do you for 2 weeks, perhaps a bit more if you did some couch surfing.

Think about it, your hostel is 20-25, your food is 15. Then you have to see stuff, party and pay for travel.... and that can get as expensive as you like.

That said, I know a girl who made it across the cote d'azur (from Nice to Aix-en-Provence) on 100 euros....

Advertisement