Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bulmers Comedy Competition 2009

Options
  • 22-07-2009 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭

Good aul Cieran McMahon is running this comp again. We should have a place to talk about it.

http://www.standupireland.com/

Who else is doing this? (Or I should say, who of the six comics in Dublin who post here is doing this? :D )

Deadline to get your applications in is tomorrow, but you can pay an extra tenner if you get your application in by 3 August, after which the window closes for good.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

i dont have the money to enter but good luck to those who have! im probably going to be at the show the winner supports so ill see them there!

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭SlimJ

Scien wrote: »
    Was gonna post about that here but decided i could do with less competition! :)

I'm in!
    Only have a couple of gigs under the belt but gonna give it a lash anyway, if more for the stage time than anything else.

Good onya. (Who are you?)

Grames- c'mon, you ain't got fifty quid?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

SlimJ wrote: »
    Grames- c'mon, you ain't got fifty quid?

it's €60 by this stage....and no i really don't!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭beamo

got my entry form in this week for this, what do people generally do material-wise for this? do most people generallyuse the same set throughout or does a bit of variety make a big difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Damon Blake

Do what you want, whatever material you have that you think is funny is the best way to go, not what you think the crowd may or may not want. Last year what was arguably my best set contained stuff I didn't use anywhere else, I just did bits of edgier of material to see how the crowd would go, they seemed to enjoy it.

It's best to have a good solid joke to begin with, it seems to reassure the crowd that they're going to be entertained.

And don't worry about repeating your sets show to show, generally it's a different crowd every gig. Good luck to everyone performing and whoever wins act like an adult and don't wear the sash and tiara. It's degrading.

You have to get through your heat first to be worrying about that! :)

Indeed but a little bit of forward thinking never goes amiss!

The heats are up on the stand up ireland website, i'm in the first heat next wednesday, would have preferred a later one but there ya go

• Advertisement

Results from last night?

The website has the contestants as:

Colm McGlinchey, Greg Marks, Edwin Sammon, Trevor Browne, Kevin Goldsmith, Wilbert Ryan, Gary Lynch, Ian Perth

That lineup may not be correct, because I know for sure there's been comedians moving around the calander. (really annoying cinderalla comics who are "busy" or "have plans" or "can't make that night") (like me)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Mungaman

Yo yo anyone know if this comp is full? Closed? checked the site and it said 21st July then 3rd August? I also checked the heat line up and there seemed to be a few spaces???
    Cheers Danny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭Gross Halfwit

I went along alright but didn't stay for the result.
    Edwin Sammon wasn't there, Stephen Elliot was, and was easily the funniest, in my opinion.

Thank you very much. Trevor Browne was on top form too.

Oh & in case anyone is wondering ... Myself, Trevor Browne, Colm McGlinchey & Gary Lynch went through last night.

Congrats to the first four quarter (semi? I always f that up) finalists of the competition. How was the crowd, size-wise?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭Gross Halfwit

The crowd was a delicious size of about 50+ I reckon but I don't have official numbers. They were attentive, respectful & above all in the mood for laughter. Hope these crowds keep up!

The crowd was a delicious size of about 50+ I reckon but I don't have official numbers. They were attentive, respectful & above all in the mood for laughter. Hope these crowds keep up!

Indeed they were, i didn't get through but was happy enough with how my set went, well done stephen, top notch as always and the best of luck for the rest of the competition

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Mungaman

Gidday all,

Someone kindly posted me an email link to Ciaran who is organising the comp. I've emailed but got no response anyone got his number? PM me I want in if its not too late.
    If your not cool with that? someone who's in the comp or knows him get on the horse and help a brother out( metaphorically speaking I'm not really your long lost brother, I have four brothers already and another would be weird and another to buy ****ty gifts for at Christmas and get in on the treasure map I found )
    Cheers Danny

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Congrats Mr. 'wit. Glad you made it.

And congrats to the other comedians whose material I am not so familiar with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Didn't enter this myself, couldn't afford it and have been away from gigging for a while now so would need a few gigs to knock off some rust before I'd go back to competitions and the likes. Best of luck to everyone who is in it and congrats to the folks who have already gone through :)
    Good luck to everyone performing and whoever wins act like an adult and don't wear the sash and tiara. It's degrading.

Hehehe, ouch :D

• Advertisement

Best of luck to all 4 & everyone else going through to the quarters.

Hey thanks man!

Anyone else notice that the standard this year seems very high? It seems like last year there were loads of inexperienced comics, wheras this year they're thinner on the ground. Makes for better shows for the audience I suppose, but tough going for the comedians.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭nehemiah

Was at last nights show. A very good standard all round. I think I was one of the few neutrals there last night though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

Lisa Joyce, Chris Kent, Gerry McBride & Jim Elliot went through.

No such joy for myself, happy with the set though.

Best of luck to all 4 & everyone else going through to the quarters.

I was quite impressed myself too. Who were you (feel free to PM rather than say on board if you wish). I was very impressed by Gerry McBride, or did him being alst help a lot? I was chatting to Ciaran who runs it too, lovely fella.

I just missed the entry but my first ever show is this Thursday in the Halpenny so I think I've a while to go before making last nights standard. I'll defo be going to more shows. If you see a bloke in a black hat it might be me!.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

I was on 2nd last, just before Gerry.
    Only my 3rd gig so wasn't expecting much. Just knocking up some stage time tbh.

Ciaran told me your new alright. I was impressed, especially with how you opened. Very strong for a beginner. Well done!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 iownaface

first post here.
    at the show tonight and delighted with who went through. the best 4/ disappointed with no aidan killian on show tonight, but barry mack, totally wired, adam burke and eddie (?) sammon, went thru and were all the best of the night. the clown dude was probably not worth the time, but again, each to their own. thoroughly enjoyed the show.

havent seen any other rounds, but strong crowd through tonight. anyone else against the crowd voting thing for 100% of the vote...given people bring such a big crown to a small venure?

iownaface wrote: »
    anyone else against the crowd voting thing for 100% of the vote...given people bring such a big crowd to a small venure?

I get what you're saying here, but I'm sympathetic to the needs of the contest as well- they need to make money to put it on, pay the host, etc, and the best way to get a crowd is to make sure the comedians have a vested interest in bringing a friend or two.

I mean, sure, idealogically it might not be the best way to determine who "wins" - but then, the nature of comedy already makes the idea of a competition kind of ridiculous, doesn't it?

• Advertisement

Last night's heat:

Ray McDermott, Tony Black, Mark Hanratty, Joe Reilly, Mike O’Leary, Eugene Maher, James Looney, Ronan J.Grace

Perusal of my Farcebark News Feed illuminates nothing. I demand updates! Results! Scandals!

Advertisement