Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bulmers Comedy Competition 2009

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭Gross Halfwit

True ... the updates are nonexistent! Very shoddy indeed!

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭SlimJ

OK so I've just received an email from Cieran, separating folk out into their quarterfinal heats. However, we all have to confirm and there may well be changes, so I alphabetized the quarter-finalists thus far and marked Sunday's winners with :cool: and Monday's with :P.

Adam Burke
    Barry Mack
    Colm McGlinchey
    Chris Kent
    Edwin Sammon
    Enda Muldoon
    Gary Lynch
    Gerry McBride
    Jimmy Looney :cool:
    Jim Elliott
    Joe Reilly :cool:
    Justin Wade:P
    Lisa Joyce
    Mark Hanratty :cool:
    Mike O Leary:cool:
    Shane Browne:P
    Steve Elliott
    Trevor Browne
    Totally Wired
    Vinny Mc Hale:P

So, this Sunday the 23rd is the last first heat... lineup is posted as

Tomie James, Danny O’Brien, Simon Mulholland, Kevin McGahern, Brian Walshe, John Rowley, tbc tbc

Yo anyone know who came through on Sunday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭ttilting

Still no updates ? ? ?

this section seems pretty dead . . . Is there a secret other place where Irish stand comedy is discussed, that i don't know about?

I know Aidan Killian got through. Will post the others when I hear news.

• Advertisement

Papa Smut wrote: »
    I know Aidan Killian got through. Will post the others when I hear news.

And how, pray tell, did you know that? Posting unsubstantiated gossip will not be tolerated. You, sir, are no gentleman!

According to bulmerscomedy.com ... "The winner of this years competition will perform as special guest to Puppetry of the Penis in the Olympia Theatre on Thurs 24th Sept and in O Keeffes, Clonmel as part of the Bulmer’s Comedy Festival on Nov 20th and 21st ( www.clonmelcomedy.com )."

Well at least we now know what the prize is ...

I'm also reliably informed that Kevin McGahern is through to the quarters too.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Damon Blake

Kathleen King and Simon Mulholland got through as well I hear. I only popped in for a few minutes but it wasn't the most jovial of crowds.
    Is there a secret other place where Irish stand comedy is discussed, that i don't know about?

Facebook is quicker generally, and a good way to find out what politicians are a fan of the IRA and sexy underwear.

Semi final heats:

Mon 31st: Gary Lynch– Colm McGlinchey – Chris Kent – Totally Wired – mike O Leary - Vinny Mc Hale – Trevor Browne Simon Mulholland

Wed 2nd: Steve Elliott – Gerry McBride – Barry Mack – Justin Wade – Jimmy Looney – Mark Hanratty - Kevin McGahern – Kathleen KIng

Wed 9th: Lisa Joyce – Jim Elliott – Adam Burke – Edwin Sammon –Joe Reilly- Shane Browne – Enda Muldoon – Aidan Killian

Also, it appears I was wrong when I assumed that the winners were selected by 100% audience voting. The top two audience vote-getters go through, and then the judges pick two more.

Quarter Finals in th Bulmers Competition results from The 31st -

Vinny McHale, Totally Wired, Trevor Browne and Chris Kent went through.

Fair play to all involved but the results surprised me a little. I thought McGlinchey & Mulholland were locks! I think Totally Wired have this comp in the bag though ... :(

But Anything can happen in Thunderdome!

Come along tomorrow night for what promises to be a hard fought & hilarious battle of wit(ticisms) ...

Steve Elliott – Gerry McBride – Barry Mack – Justin Wade – Jimmy Looney – Mark Hanratty - Kevin McGahern – Kathleen King ... all duking it out in the squared circle!

Do it! Doyles, Wednesday, 8.30 pm! €Monies!

• Advertisement

Some FB sleuthing leads me to believe that last night saw Steve Elliott, Gerry McBride, Kevin McGahern and Mark Hanratty make it through.

SlimJ wrote: »
    Some FB sleuthing leads me to believe that last night saw Steve Elliott, Gerry McBride, Kevin McGahern and Mark Hanratty make it through.

That's the truth of it! Was just coming over to say! It was a hard fought, close contest. Congrats to we few that went through & commiserations to those that didn't.

Go to the Bulmers Quarter Finals in Doyles tonight & support the lads!

It's on at 8.30pm! Do it cos you'll be sorry if they all died later!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Go to the Bulmers Quarter Finals in Doyles tonight & support the lads!

It's on at 8.30pm! Do it cos you'll be sorry if they all died later!

died in what way? if they all did bad gigs (something i know wont happen) id be glad that i wasnt there! :p

Me, Enda, Edwin, and Shane went through last night...

So the semifinalists are

Steve Elliott, Gerry McBride, Kevin McGahern Mark Hanratty
    Vinny McHale, Totally Wired, Trevor Browne and Chris Kent
    Shane Browne, Enda Muldoon, Edwin Sammon, Jim Elliott

Who's on which night? Also, who looks more like brothers, the Elliotts or the Brownes?

died in what way? if they all did bad gigs (something i know wont happen) id be glad that i wasnt there! :p

Either way, you'd be missing out!

Me & Jim could be brothers in the same way Arnie & Danny DeVito were ... or Tom Cruise & Dustin Hoffman.

The Semis are shaping up (hehe) as such so far ...

Friday 11th
    KEVIN MCGAHERN
    TOTALLY WIRED
    VINNY MC HALE
    STEVE ELLIOTT

Sunday 13th
    GERRY MCBRIDE
    MARK HANRATTY
    CHRIS KENT
    TREVOR BROWNE
    JIM ELLIOTT

I don't know about Enda, Edwin & Shane's days though!

I know Edwin's on Friday...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Catenaccio!

Enda Muldoon was way ahead of the rest last night, good performance I must say.

Enda Muldoon was way ahead of the rest last night, good performance I must say.

He was on fire!

The FOUR that went through last night were Enda Muldoon, Kevin McGahern, Trevor Browne & me, Stephen Elliott.

Thanks to all who came out & I hope to see the same turn out on Sunday for

GERRY MCBRIDE
    MARK HANRATTY
    CHRIS KENT
    SHANE BROWNE
    JIM ELLIOTT
    TOTALLY WIRED

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Catenaccio!

Hey Stephen, can you give me a list of all 6 last night (in the order they were on) please?

I was at the show last night and the standard was incredible. I'm not surprised that four of the six went through.

Hey Stephen, can you give me a list of all 6 last night (in the order they were on) please?

1. Edwin Sammon
    2. Vinny McHale
    3. Kevin McGahern
    4. Enda Muldoon
    5. Stephen Elliott
    6. Trevor Browne

Congrats to Shane, Gerry, Chris, and Totally Wired who made the final! (Jesus that's a great lineup for wednesday, should be a cracker of a show.)

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭dixierip

Was there last night. I thought the standard was very high for a newcomers event. Fair play to the lads!

Scien wrote: »
    How much are they charging for the Final?

I still have 1 of the 10 free entries that Ciaran sent out originally to contestants. Will that work Slim/Gross?

I don't think it will work but if you were in the comp then you get in for free provided you're there before 7pm afaik!

Final tomorrow in the Laughter Lounge! Come along about 8.

• Advertisement

Congratulations indeed to Chris and commisserations to the other finalists.

Now we can all get back to getting better and growing the scene without worrying about competing against each other!

Advertisement