Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get landlord's agent to stop fobbing me off?

Options
  • 22-07-2009 1:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭

Ok so two issues at the moment:

1) Tuesday June 2 gave a list of things that the apartment needed doing, notably tidying up the backyard (not our responsibility). Left it with them and have been checking back every week or so but being fobbed off.

2) Tuesday July 14 dropped in a letter about rent negotiation as our 12 month lease is up on August 25. Also spoke to the letting agent in person about the maintenance issues again. Was told I'd hear back after the weekend.

Rang Monday, agent still hadn't spoken to landlord (he's actually the boss of the company) and said to call back Tuesday at 2. I did, she was "unavailable" so I left a message for her to call me back and she didn't. So I called back this morning and she was again "unavailable" so I left another message. I called back 2 hours later and she answered the phone, AHA says I to myself, I've got you now! Apparently she still hasn't talked to the Landlord but will let me know :rolleyes:

So it's been a week since I dropped in that letter about the rent negotiation and I haven't heard boo except for the constant "we'll get back to you"

How do I get it through their thick skulls that I'm not going away?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

well firstly you can call them as often as you like about cleaning the yard but they dont have to do it. If they were worth their salt they would sort it but clearly they arent and they are not obliged to.

And anyway if they are that bad to deal with why tell them if its not sorted by the end of the week your not going to renew the lease.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭whizzbang

Move house, get cheaper rent.

problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

whizzbang wrote: »
    Move house, get cheaper rent.

problem solved.

this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

Gotta chime in agree ment with the above

Threaten to move if they dont act soon.

Of course if they know you like where you are dont want to move then they kinda have you over a barrell.

Unless their PRTB, BER certs arent in line in that case hammer them on that line and threaten to report them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Move house.

You'll get cheaper rent and the agent & landlord has managed to lose a good tenant who stayed for an entire year and complied with their lease.

Remind the agent that for the sake of doing your list of tasks there will be a vacant period and hundreds or even thousands in lost rent will happen.
    Or maybe the agent doesn't care as they'll get commission when they replace you.....
    But the landlord should be worried when the house is vacant in late August

Plus the next tenants may be wasters who'll trash the place!

Honestly, some people don't appreciate good tenants at all.
    Seems they'd rather have the flat vacant for a few weeks looking for new tenants then keeping their existing tenants happy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

well, the backyard (it's paved so I guess it's a patio) IS their responsibility and they SHOULD have to do it.

And we will be moving if we don't get a suitable rent reduction. Although I'm thinking we'll stay on until at least all the students have moved into places just to spite the arseholes.

I'd rather not move though... pain in the hole. Oh well, we may end up doing that anyway.

Xiney wrote: »
    well, the backyard (it's paved so I guess it's a patio) IS their responsibility and they SHOULD have to do it.

And we will be moving if we don't get a suitable rent reduction. Although I'm thinking we'll stay on until at least all the students have moved into places just to spite the arseholes.

I'd rather not move though... pain in the hole. Oh well, we may end up doing that anyway.

bluff a move then ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Is there anything in the contract you've signed about this?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

It was verbal (I know, I know... but at the time I assumed they were getting it done within a week of us moving in or so!)

There is no garden shed (or suitable storage indoors) for the tools necessary to do this, however, so it's clearly intended to be the landlord's responsibility in the first place.

It's been weeks now of "I haven't had a chance to speak to the landlord, when I do I'll let you know."

What do I say to them to get an answer?

I've actually been doing a bit of research on daft and while I wouldn't want to move (don't want to sign a new 12 month lease, don't want to lose Part 4, don't want to have to pack everything up) there are definitely some bigger places available for less money.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,025 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

I've actually been doing a bit of research on daft and while I wouldn't want to move (don't want to sign a new 12 month lease, don't want to lose Part 4, don't want to have to pack everything up) there are definitely some bigger places available for less money.

Go for it Xiney, I know a move is a bit of work but won't it be worth it having the bigger place for less money while also knowing you didn't let those a*s*h*l*s walk all over you? We have had some issues with our property management also so I informed the owner himself and he (ahem) had a few words with them I believe! Happier days now.

• Advertisement

I'd hand in the notice, and write a letter that if it's done you will re-consider

if it's not then move...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Assuming that the apartment is in Galway and you decide to move out, I'd make sure that any potential move is sorted out quite soon. Students will start re-appearing in Galway from late August and the rental market will suddenly get very busy.

Advertisement