Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Careful now! Mill Road - slow down...

Options
  • 22-07-2009 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭

Gatso van (white) on the roadside today, just before the small bottle bank as you come from Killincarrig mini roundabouts down Mill Road towards Greystones. I tell you, you wouldn't notice him.

I think I slowed down in time

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

astrofluff wrote: »
    Gatso van (white) on the roadside today, just before the small bottle bank as you come from Killincarrig mini roundabouts down Mill Road towards Greystones. I tell you, you wouldn't notice him.

Thanks for the heads up Astro.

Have to say i'd prefer to see more of them than the speed humps. After a night driving my large taxi around my poor customers must think they've been in a bouncy castle.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭aev

It was parked at Glenbrook estate, on the Killincarrig to Kilcoole road today(thurs) at around 11am, pulled in at the bus stop on the left when you come off the Eden Gate roundabout, be careful!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

It was on the N11 at Glen of the Downs today at 1pm. The van was parked under the bridge in the shadow at Sexton's Garden Centre (but on the northbound carriage way). I only noticed it on the other side as I was going south - wasn't there was I was going past at 11am (aev confirms that).

I don't mind it being around either...it's the message some of us need!

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭eleMental

what does a gatso van look like, is it like a regular transit or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭FirstIn

AFAIK it looks like a standard transit. I think they have just one small window in the back. Maybe some of the others that saw it can confirm that.

I'd love to see it on the daul carriage way through Charlesland, the speed some of the idiots drive at is just crazy.

One great thing about Greystones is the high presence/visibility of the cops and the deterrent value of this. I am not so sure about the covert approach of the gatso vans, just seem to be a money making racket to me. Then again the country can do with every penny/cent it can get.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭Eoin D

FirstIn wrote: »
    I am not so sure about the covert approach of the gatso vans, just seem to be a money making racket to me. Then again the country can do with every penny/cent it can get.

It is a money making racket, people will continue on up the road breaking the speed limit if they didn't see the van. The idea is to stop accidents not make a quick buck (and I'm curious as to whether any have ever occurred on the new charlesland road despite people breaking the speed limit).

Don't get me wrong, I'm not pro-speeding, it's a speed limit not a target, but I think the way they're going about things is more about getting money than preventing accidents.

Cheers for the heads up

• Registered Users Posts: 14,936 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

FirstIn wrote: »
    I'd love to see it on the daul carriage way through Charlesland, the speed some of the idiots drive at is just crazy.

on the other hand, the limit on that road (50) is stupid, should be 60 at least. And the real boy racers with the mega-exhausts tend to be out at night, when the speed checks are not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭GingerDave

loyatemu wrote: »
    on the other hand, the limit on that road (50) is stupid, should be 60 at least. And the real boy racers with the mega-exhausts tend to be out at night, when the speed checks are not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeUX6LABCEA

mmmm...it 50 for a reason isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,936 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

GingerDave wrote: »

mmmm...it 50 for a reason isn't it?

on residential roads, yes, in fact it ought to be 30km/h, but the charlesland road has fully segregated foot and cycle paths, a barrier down the middle, roundabouts at all the junctions, no houses opening directly onto it etc.

By contrast the Mill Rd has a 60 limit and numerous housing estates, sports clubs etc opening directly onto it as well as right-turning traffic.

doesn't make a huge difference tbh, but there should at least be consistency - it'd be very harsh to fine someone for doing 60 on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭GingerDave

loyatemu wrote: »
    doesn't make a huge difference tbh, but there should at least be consistency - it'd be very harsh to fine someone for doing 60 on it.

Lots of people young and old use that road on bikes, walking, running, skates etc. It is not caged off all the way up.

Put a 60kph limit on it and what will happen?
    Some will think driving at 70kpm is OK thats what would happen.....and before you know it...

No skin of my nose if you want to drive at what every speed you think is approriate. It could be argued that the 50kpm limit curtials the speed along that road to one that is sensible.

50kmp is there for a reason.

• Advertisement

eleMental wrote: »
    what does a gatso van look like, is it like a regular transit or something?

The back of the van looks something like this... but the van is white and the back windows are blacked out. To the right window there is a horizontal cut out (clear glass) where the camera sits peering at you!

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭eleMental

thanks for the info all. though i must say it shouldnt be the potential presence of a garda van that makes you slow down, it should be the idea that you might kill someone driving at 100kph in a 50 zone....(obviously this applies to a small minority)

its interesting all the different feedback on this. i agree the charlesland road speed limit of 50 seems a litte low, but then again theres always so many kids on bikes, families etc out walking that you need your wits about you - plus its not exactly 20 miles long, so slowing down a little for such a small period of time doesnt seem that bad?

either way, i agree with the poster above that the high garda presence is a good thing (albeit if theyre not around at night when most of the those speed-racing idiots are about). theyve even taken to hiding at the end of the farankelly road up to the roundabout in the mornings. bring it on i say - in fairness, who wants to rush to work!??!!?!!!!! not me!! :)

yes locally it's great to see a presence, but I have to question the 'shooting fish in a barrel' method. Don't get me wrong - I'm all for enforcement of rules/laws, but doing it where the van is not obvious means that people who are constantly breaking the speed limit, and who don't even notice the vans, will not bother to slow down. That's if they ever get the fine and points in the post! I think if the van was bright yellow, and marked with 'Garda speed check' on the side of it, it would be effective in letting people know that there is an active presence of checking.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Agreed astro. There is something sneaky about the van. Imo its a money spinner. If they where really trying to slow people down there would be a high vis proactive approach to it.

Haven't had the pleasure of seeing this van yet but i will have my eyes peeled.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭JoeTurner

Damo9090 wrote: »
    There is something sneaky about the van. Imo its a money spinner. If they where really trying to slow people down there would be a high vis proactive approach to it.

Haven't had the pleasure of seeing this van yet but i will have my eyes peeled.

Came around the bend into Kilmacanogue last night on my way home from the U2 concert and there it was in all it's glory parked up on the hard shoulder just inside the 60km zone. Saw a flash in front of me - hoping it was for the BMW which flew past me in the fast lane a couple of seconds before.....

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭MiniGolf

It was on the Southern Cross Road yesterday morning..... shooting fish in a barrel :eek:
    Thankfully not me :D!! As I use this road quite a lot I am aware of the ease of setting up of speed traps on this road. I reckon I have saved a lot of people points over the years with my adherance to the speed limit on that particular stretch!!:cool:

JoeTurner wrote: »
    Came around the bend into Kilmacanogue last night on my way home from the U2 concert and there it was in all it's glory parked up on the hard shoulder just inside the 60km zone. Saw a flash in front of me - hoping it was for the BMW which flew past me in the fast lane a couple of seconds before.....

How was U2?

Heard some were leaving due to the poor sound?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Welsh Wizard

So do these still work in the dark and rain...??

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭JoeTurner

I'll let you know during the week if a fine comes in the post :(

You can bet your ass they do. The device they use is an Ultralyte laser with Micro digicam...The main thing about the Ultralyte is that the operator needs to point the device at a reflective surface, like a reg plate. The only question is: how long have they got before they get a detection AND is this before you even notice the Speed Check - in other words, you really have no chance getting your speed down in time. The link says the device has an 'auto' setting so you are rightly f***ed if you appear arround a corner doing over the limit. I was watching Traffic Blues on RTE a few weeks back when a Garda was using the stand alone Ultralyte...I could see she set the device to click when over 135km - they were checking 120km motorway speeds. Obey the 10% rule ;)

By the way, that link is worth a read!

• Advertisement

You can bet your ass they do. The device they use is an Ultralyte laser with Micro digicam...The main thing about the Ultralyte is that the operator needs to point the device at a reflective surface, like a reg plate. The only question is: how long have they got before they get a detection AND is this before you even notice the Speed Check - in other words, you really have no chance getting your speed down in time. The link says the device has an 'auto' setting so you are rightly f***ed if you appear arround a corner doing over the limit. I was watching Traffic Blues on RTE a few weeks back when a Garda was using the stand alone Ultralyte...I could see she set the device to click when over 135km - they were checking 120km motorway speeds. Obey the 10% rule ;)

By the way, that link is worth a read!

Also came across the booze patrol up from Eden Gate last night. It was perfectly positioned cos anyone coming over the rise wouldnt see them til it was too late. Loads lined up waiting to be breathalyzed. Funny enough there was loads of police around last night all over the area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Welsh Wizard

So if i was clocked for speeding and the ticket came to the house, could the missus say I was driving and send it to my parents house back in Wales....??

Reason I say this is I got stopped last year (Not for speeding) and they sent the fine to my parents house as that was the address on my license, where my mam used it to light the fire that night... since then I've heard nothing...??

Also whats the story for drivers with U.K. reg's do they still get away with it...

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Huntthe

So if i was clocked for speeding and the ticket came to the house, could the missus say I was driving and send it to my parents house back in Wales....??

Reason I say this is I got stopped last year (Not for speeding) and they sent the fine to my parents house as that was the address on my license, where my mam used it to light the fire that night... since then I've heard nothing...??

Also whats the story for drivers with U.K. reg's do they still get away with it...

I believe drivers from the North no longer get away with it due to a new agreement

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

This is starting to read like a motor forum thread.

Try keep to the topic please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

Great to see the Gardai working like they are paid to do. They are certaintly making an impact in North Wicklow

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Merrilady

Agreed it is great to see a presence, however as an Eden Gate resident whose house looks out over the main road, I would really love to see a car / patrol from 10.30 - 11.30 at night time when the same cars / motor bikes have a race up and down the road :mad:
    Scary noise at that time of night.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Greentrees

Totally agree, car would be great at that time!

Friday night they were parked outside Glenbrook just after the Kilcoole roundabout behind Charlesland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭SickCert

Someone was asking what do these high tec vans look like..........

Well this gatso.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭MiniGolf

ciaran67 wrote: »
    Friday night they were parked outside Glenbrook just after the Kilcoole roundabout behind Charlesland.

saw yer man getting out of it (for a pee???) friday night at about 9:15... ish!
    That has to be a money making spot because for the life of me I cannot see any major safety issue there at that time on a friday night!

Advertisement