Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting over to Ireland Eye's and staying the night!?

Options
  • 22-07-2009 1:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Hi All.

Has anyone ever stayed the night on Ireland's Eye....and lived to tell the tale :P

I was thinking of going over with a few of my mates, but will I see a "police boat" tearing out of Howth as soon as we light a fire?
    O r will tehy be pier side waitng for us when we get back?

Also, I see Ireland's Eye Ferrys runs boat over, but if we get over and don't get back on will they notify the law.

Also...the next day, how would we get back? :confused:
    Would Irelands Eye Ferrys let us back on the boat the following day....?

If anyone has any info about satying the night / camping on the island, could they please let me know.

I do not want to end up in hot water!!! :eek:

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

It's private property so you'd have to get the permission of the owner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 bk2020

Thanks Bluetonic.

Just saw that on wikipedia

" Access is not controlled but it is private property, forming part of the Howth Estate".

I'm just wondering, I've heard of beach parties etc etc, but does anyone have any first hand experience.

I think my brother camped one night there when he was in the cubs, and there were stories of rats knawing at the guide ropes of their tents , but that was over 30 years ago, and may be an exagerration of a childhood memory!! :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Lady

You are not actually allowed to stay over but plenty of people do get the boat over and camp out till the next day, you just have to be careful and remember you are stranded if anything happens.
    There have been many a party over there where the coastguard have to be called in etc.

Also I think it is illeagl and no the owner most definatly wouldn't allow it. But it is done. And if you do decide to do it just be very careful!!

Just remembered the rats, ye I would well believe there are loads of rats over there, there are always rats in the rocks on Claremont beach [eating me sambos as a wee lass :(]

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

Dont know about irelands eye but are you allowed to camp over on the islands in skerries?

I know the martello tower one is reachable at low tide over the causeway built by the old british - irish military years ago when they constructed the towers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Check that it's not nesting season first. Last year a woman was viciously attacked by seagulls over there LINK

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I heard there's loads of rats on Shennick Island, Only walked out to it once.
    It's plenty deep between the red island and St Patricks Island, Saw a navy ship come into the strait there one summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭cbreeze

All the Skerries islands are heaving with rats. Walked our dog to Shenick once and he killed two within minutes.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

The seagulls are evil!!
    Seriously though be really careful of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭tiredmam

Doubt anyone is allowed on Lambay Island either, wierd place that!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

tiredmam wrote: »

Don't mess with the Walabys......

Lambay is owned by the people who once owned Barings till the CEO of Galway united changed that....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Ahhhh, Irelands eye

my reference point for landing at dublin airport ...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭KiLLeR CoUCh

About ten years ago I remember seeing the Sea Scouts heading off to Ireland's Eye to camp for the night. It's clearly do-able but I'd assume they went and got permission and such.

The boats going over and back will only head out on nice days when it's worth their time. I'd imagine you'ld be in a fair bit of bother if they didn't notice you missed the return journey and it was raining the following day. Also, the place is alive with rats...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Oh I'd love to see Lambay, there are fallow deer and wallabies and all sorts of seabirds. The history of the island is amazing.

Don't mess with the Walabys......

Lambay is owned by the people who once owned Barings till the CEO of Galway united changed that....

Lol, i was there.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭ManAboutCouch

bk2020 wrote: »
    Thanks Bluetonic.
    I think my brother camped one night there when he was in the cubs, and there were stories of rats knawing at the guide ropes of their tents , but that was over 30 years ago, and may be an exagerration of a childhood memory!! :)

I might know your brother then, I camped there as a scout about 30 years ago. We pitched up on top of the Martello tower for the night. Not much in the way of rats, but the tent did blow away at about 4am so it was miserable enough.

Lol, i was there.

:eek:

What's it like?

Its was a good experience. Was a horrible wet day though. There is a huge house on it with beautiful gardens. Also a lovely little church. The only animals i seen was cows and seals.

Advertisement