Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Account Deletion

Options
  • 22-07-2009 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

I notice that you do not delete accounts.
    As far as I know it is illegal to hold information on people without their permission.
    I am with boards for a while but am going to opt out in protest over the restrictions on the soccer board.
    If you had the same restrictions on the gay and lesbian forum you would be accused of being homophobic.
    Soccer fans are people too, stop persecuting us.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Actually, it's perfectly legal to hold personal information on people without their permission, provided you have good reason. For example, it is perfectly legal for a company to hold personal information about you if they have a purpose for it - say a list of bad debtors or whatever.

However, that doesn't apply in this case. You have full access to remove all of your personal information from your account if you so wish, we are not preventing you from doing so.

You can do so here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/usercp.php

On a lighter note, perhaps if you can actually tell us what the problem is? I suspect that you're annoyed about the restrictions on getting access to the soccer forum initially. This is something which has been borne out of a lot of lessons and experience and believe me we wouldn't do it if we didn't think it was necessary.

Perhaps if you think there's a better way of allowing access to the soccer forum while maintaining control and readability at the same time, you would care to share it?

Soccer fans choose to be soccer fans, gay people don't choose to be gay, so your comparison is terribly flawed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 paulboards

My comparision was on what formus people choose to join and so is not flawed. Gay people do choose to be gay. I saw a very interesting program on the tv once, where there were identical twins, one was Gay and the other was not.
    My point is, you descriminate against soccer fans by restricting the forum. Arsenal Manager Arsene Wenger is an expert on football but is not known for his opinions on anything else. Your system would force this brilliant man to post away on topics of no interest to him than no one else wants to read. FYI, I am not an Arsenal fan. Why do you need to restrict the soccer forum, you never explaines. I suggest having a second mini-soccer forum where only title length posts are allowed. This would be easier to moderate and access to the full forum could be given to those with a number of posts on the mini-soccer forum.
    As for my own experience I used to post on the soccer forum in the early days before this restriction was introduced.

paulboards wrote: »
    My comparision was on what formus people choose to join and so is not flawed. Gay people do choose to be gay. I saw a very interesting program on the tv once, where there were identical twins, one was Gay and the other was not.
    Not getting into that one.
    My point is, you descriminate against soccer fans by restricting the forum. Arsenal Manager Arsene Wenger is an expert on football but is not known for his opinions on anything else. Your system would force this brilliant man to post away on topics of no interest to him than no one else wants to read. FYI, I am not an Arsenal fan. Why do you need to restrict the soccer forum, you never explaines.
    Because soccer has this tendency to make otherwise rational people foam at the mouth and turn into complete morons when faced with any kind of dissenting viewpoint. People would get annoyed by something someone said, they would get banned from the soccer forum and then continually set up new accounts to keep coming back to try and fight their corner. It became an administrative nightmare (keeping track of and banning alt accounts) so the two options presented were to close the forum and tell soccer fans to go elsewhere or make it access controlled. It's been this way for years now (5 or 6 I think) and it works. If you enforce a "waiting period" for people to get access, you eliminate this issue. It also makes users think twice about their access to the soccer forum - many people will risk getting a ban for the sake of getting their two cents in.
    I suggest having a second mini-soccer forum where only title length posts are allowed. This would be easier to moderate and access to the full forum could be given to those with a number of posts on the mini-soccer forum.
    So a twitter-style forum? The issue is still being shifted elsewhere. Although a shorter post length makes it easier to spot troublemakers, the above issue I've explained will still exist. People will still have to be banned from the mini-forum for acting the prick and they will keep coming back, foaming at the mouth.
    As for my own experience I used to post on the soccer forum in the early days before this restriction was introduced.
    On a different account I assume?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

paulboards wrote: »
    Why do you need to restrict the soccer forum, you never explaines.

Yes we did:

Why do I need apply for access?

And thanks to TRO for finding that thread.

• Advertisement
Advertisement