Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you act at this junction?

Options
  • 22-07-2009 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭

Following a previous thread of mine about the Dublin Rd, Travelodge Junction this is another one.

I kept having near misses with people on this junction.
    Limerick-2.jpg

So anyway, Im approaching along bishop st which is a one way heading towards castle st to turn left for Thomondgate.

At the junction of Convent St and Bishop St there is a T Junction. Those coming down the hill have a yield sign and white road markings telling them to stop. Those coming from Bishop St are not required to stop and those coming off Castle St wishing to go up Convent St(no other choice) must yield to the right of way of those coming along Bishop St because they would be crossing the path of those people.

YET, people assume that because I am coming off a one way I lose my right of way. WTF, no I do not. If somebody does turn and I crash into them they will actually be in the wrong and have to pay to fix both cars.

What are people's opinions on this junction?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

On the face of it, your take is correct.

Any hope of a mobile phone shot of the road markings? I'm away from Limerick at the mo.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭fade2che

I take this route every morning and have seen a few really close ones. I agree that you have the right away but most of the time I stop and let people go/flash people thru as I come off the one way street as I can afford 30 seconds and cannot afford a fender bender.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

fade2che wrote: »
    I take this route every morning and have seen a few really close ones. I agree that you have the right away but most of the time I stop and let people go/flash people thru as I come off the one way street as I can afford 30 seconds and cannot afford a fender bender.

Yes I generally avoid the agro on the junction because I always tell myself most people are ignorant to road markings anyway.

Im just curious because recently I have become soo disillusioned with this junction I feel I must be wrong. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭gillo_100

Can I ask what happens the central white line from Convent street, and also from Bishop street approaching from Castle street(not the one way).

If these join up then that road has right of way over anyone entering, if they don't join there should be road markings telling to yield surly.

I don't know the junction but there is something similar near where I live, where the one way doesn't have right of way, owever its signposted in this case, which I'm presuming yours isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭baza1976

Are you sure that there isn't some marking (white line or sign) if you are exiting bishop street to tell you to yield or stop. It's been a few months since I used that road but I always thought that there was something indicating that exiting bishop street you would not have the right of way!!!!???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

I'd play it really cautiously and just act like Richard Harris in a "A Man Called Horse" - after that all you can really do is just hope for the best.....

a_man_called_horse.jpg

- Only joking; what Topper75 said.

There is a white line which is a broken white line followed by a solid white line.

This only indicates to people coming the other way that you DO NOT enter this road. It is not in any way a yield marking.

Coming down from King Johns Castle to turn left back towards castle street there is a yield sign and a right angled white line which is the international standard that you do not have right of way. These people must give way to any car coming in either direction(from castle street or from the one way bishop street).

If you come off the main road and have to turn up towards the Castle you do not have right of way and never have had right of way. Its just assumed that you have through years of "follow the leader/sheep mentality."

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Here is another pic of the junction.
    GetMap.jpg

I think you are correct Berty.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

Fantastic Pic. Much better than the crap I found on Google Earth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭gillo_100

Berty wrote: »
    Fantastic Pic. Much better than the crap I found on Google Earth.

I agree, how did you get it might I ask?

From your description, Berty, I'd agree Bishop street is the main road with convent street the minor in which case turning left of main has right of way.

However looking at picture I can imagine the big turn right arrow on the road would confuse some people.

Maybe get onto your recently elected councilors and get them to sort it out with a yield sign or better road marking.

• Advertisement

gillo_100 wrote: »
    I agree, how did you get it might I ask?
    http://www.bing.com/maps/ Aerial view or birdseye view
    gillo_100 wrote: »
    However looking at picture I can imagine the big turn right arrow on the road would confuse some people.

Yeah I have to agree with you there but it is down to crappy driver education rather than the road markings themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

if you crash is not ur fault , your meant to be in control of your vehicle at all times !!!

if you crash is not ur fault , your meant to be in control of your vehicle at all times !!!

What????:confused:

h3000 wrote: »
    What????:confused:

I was thinking the same thing, what???

Maybe you should not be driving yourself, you seem to have been drinking. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

If somebody does turn and I crash into them they will actually be in the wrong and have to pay to fix both cars
    der dats wat im talkin about

Before anyone gets brave or think they can make a quick buck by driving to said area and ramming the first car that makes a right turn. Rules of the road are generally guidelines and there are only some of them that have legal standing.

I'd be interested to hear what our Garda friends who were popping up on another thread here recently would have say.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

baza1976 wrote: »
    Are you sure that there isn't some marking (white line or sign) if you are exiting bishop street to tell you to yield or stop. It's been a few months since I used that road but I always thought that there was something indicating that exiting bishop street you would not have the right of way!!!!???

I was down there on Sunday and traffic entering and exiting Convent Street to/from the Castle Street area looked to have right of way, though I will take another trip tomorrow to check it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭electron

ninty9er wrote: »
    I was down there on Sunday and traffic entering and exiting Convent Street to/from the Castle Street area looked to have right of way, though I will take another trip tomorrow to check it out.

i'd be interested to hear your judgement, as to why.
    from what i understand, they shouldn't.
    the road markings could be better though, to override the tricky tendencies of the mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

baza1976 wrote: »
    Rules of the road are generally guidelines and there are only some of them that have legal standing.

Speed limits are just guidelines? Traffic lights are just guidelines? Road-markings are just guidelines? No wonder there is a problem at this junction if that's the way most people think. Scary.

Thankfully I don't have to go near that junction (just Castle St). Sounds like its best avoided. People generally have difficultly with such things as indicators, nevermind road markings or sign posts. It does sound like the OP has right of way

• Registered Users Posts: 24,313 ✭✭✭✭phog

I use this junction about 4 times a day and have never felt a collision was likely but I do agree with the OP that some people think they have the right of way when turning right onto convent street, the amazing thing here is that a lot of the traffic must be coming or going to city hall.

One more thing the amount of drivers that actually decide to drive Bishop's St in the worng direction in the morning is huge espcially at busy times like school and work start times.

• Advertisement

Y2J_MUFC wrote: »
    Speed limits are just guidelines? Traffic lights are just guidelines? Road-markings are just guidelines? No wonder there is a problem at this junction if that's the way most people think. Scary.

Thankfully I don't have to go near that junction (just Castle St). Sounds like its best avoided. People generally have difficultly with such things as indicators, nevermind road markings or sign posts. It does sound like the OP has right of way

I would say all of the above would have a legal standing. But there are people on here more knowledgeable (and can spell better) than me in this area.
    Pity they don't express it more!

Advertisement