Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

network points

Options
  • 22-07-2009 1:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭

i have to teriminate some cat5s myself on a house job.they're all (2 )cat5s 'home run' from single boxes .should i 2nd fix them all in dual rj-45 plates ? some will be phone but mostly network.what are the pinouts? for standard thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

davelerave wrote: »
    i have to teriminate some cat5s myself on a house job.they're all (2 )cat5s 'home run' from single boxes .should i 2nd fix them all in dual rj-45 plates ? some will be phone but mostly network.what are the pinouts? for standard thanks

The RJ45 jacks will have the colour coding on the back.... there's typically an A & B colour coding marked on them, just choose one and stick to it...

Do you have a punch down tool to insert the wires? Or an ethernet cable tester for when your finished? If its just from home use both can be both for next to nothing on the internet....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

dave I have the tools at home in Dublin if you need to borrow them for the terminations

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I would suggest that you make all outlets twin RJ45s. You can plug a standard RJ11 plug into an RJ45 or you can crimp an RJ45 plug onto any phone cable (going to a handset), so that they can plug in "normally" to an RJ45 outlet.
    what are the pinouts?
    The middle 2 pins are for phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

2011 wrote: »
    I would suggest that you make all outlets twin RJ45s. You can plug a standard RJ11 plug into an RJ45 or you can crimp an RJ45 plug onto any phone cable (going to a handset), so that they can plug in "normally" to an RJ45 outlet.

The middle 2 pins are for phone.

so all dual rj-45 . i connect all rj45 sockets the same way(2 for phone + network? ).will the rj45 sockets themselves be dedicated to network or phone only (later at panels) or can they be dual-purpose
    stoner;thanks for offer .i think i'm ok on tools

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 the_electrician

middle 2 for phone
    Yes, this is correct. You need to buy a "punch down" tool such as a "Krone" it will cost about €15.

I would suggest that you "double punch" everything. That way you have less issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

davelerave wrote: »
    so all dual rj-45 . i connect all rj45 sockets the same way(2 for phone + network? ).will the rj45 sockets themselves be dedicated to network or phone only (later at panels) or can they be dual-purpose
    stoner;thanks for offer .i think i'm ok on tools

Using all rj45 is the way to go. The middle two pins are for the phone. You can still connect the up to all the pins as the ethernet cable wont use the middle 2 pins, and visa versa for the phone. The phone 2 are normally blue and white but it doesn't make a difference once you have it the same throughout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

Davy wrote: »
    Using all rj45 is the way to go. The middle two pins are for the phone. You can still connect the up to all the pins as the ethernet cable wont use the middle 2 pins, and visa versa for the phone. The phone 2 are normally blue and white but it doesn't make a difference once you have it the same throughout.

thanks.i'm familiar with phones but i don't normally get involved in 2nd fixing network stuff.is that double-punching a good idea then?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Offically no, but it is done and works. Just take a bit of care

Advertisement