Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying internet add-on for an unbranded phone on 3

• 22-07-2009 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭

Hi everyone,
    I've recently been looking at buying an unbranded phone (maybe a Tocco Ultra or something) for use on the 3 network. I'm a PAYG 3 customer and I'd generally buy a €10 mobile internet add-on every month.

So I went into my local 3 store to ask if I'd be able to access the option to buy the internet add-on and they said that I'd have to have a 3 specific phone to do so. I asked could they put their firmware on a non 3 phone and was told they would but only if I was on bill pay.

Just wondering if anyone knows a way around this or am I stuck with buying a new (and overpriced) phone from 3. Also, wondering if I bought a 3 branded phone from the UK (eBay or something) would the Planet3 option on it work over here (since that's how you buy add-ons)

Cheers,
    J

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭eden_my_ass

I'm not 100% but I believe you problem might be that you can't access the today on 3 page to sign for this service?

If thats the problem there is a way around, I had to use it before to install messenger and skype on an unbranded phone on 3. It basically meant connecting the phone to a pc/laptop, using a plugin on firefox to identify the browser as your particular model of phone, then use firefox on your machine to go online via the phone and access the internal 3 webpages....most of this info is on google, I think I posted some tips before here so I'll see if I can find that post.

EDIT: Can't find the long winded description of how to do it...but this might not even be your problem, if it is, google is your friend...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

they said that I'd have to have a 3 specific phone to do so. I asked could they put their firmware on a non 3 phone and was told they would but only if I was on bill pay.

Neither of those are true. You can use it on any phone and you could put the firmware on yourself but it's unnecessary

I'm not 100% but I believe you problem might be that you can't access the today on 3 page to sign for this service?

All you have to do is go to the link http://mobile.3ireland.ie/hb/hutchkey. Some of the applications won't work because they require 3 firmware but 99% of stuff will

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭cgordonfreeman

If thats the problem there is a way around, I had to use it before to install messenger and skype on an unbranded phone on 3. It basically meant connecting the phone to a pc/laptop, using a plugin on firefox to identify the browser as your particular model of phone, then use firefox on your machine to go online via the phone and access the internal 3 webpages....most of this info is on google, I think I posted some tips before here so I'll see if I can find that post.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭cgordonfreeman

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    All you have to do is go to the link http://mobile.3ireland.ie/hb/hutchkey. Some of the applications won't work because they require 3 firmware but 99% of stuff will

So would you be pretty sure that I can buy my addons that way? that'd be great if true!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭eden_my_ass

Must try that link when I'm in 3G coverage! I think the issue was that the JAD files wanted a valid security cert, installed as part of the 3 firmware, browsing from a pc allowed you to read the JAD and get the address for the JAR....as far as I remember. Be nice if your method does the same for me, need to update generic firmware again, so want to update other apps too.

So would you be pretty sure that I can buy my addons that way? that'd be great if true!

I haven't used a 3 branded phone since 2007 and have bought the add on a non 3 branded phone since then so I'm pretty sure :)

Must try that link when I'm in 3G coverage! I think the issue was that the JAD files wanted a valid security cert, installed as part of the 3 firmware, browsing from a pc allowed you to read the JAD and get the address for the JAR....as far as I remember. Be nice if your method does the same for me, need to update generic firmware again, so want to update other apps too.

My method won't do that, it's just the link to the planet 3 portal. If an application requires 3 firmware it'll still require it but most don't. I've used the 3 skype client on a non-3 branded phone, it just has to be a model they sell, which the tocco is

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Yes.

I have a simfree Nokia 5800 and I use that link to buy my internet addon. THings like music or some other downloads are dicky but the internet addon is purchasable without problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

any **** these guys give you for having an unbranded phone or not buying the handset through them is a load of bull****.

they want you to buy the handset through them, they want it to be locked to their network. instructing their CS crowd in India to talk down on people who act out of line and buy their phones unlocked and without their '3' ****e on it is a rather effective way of cajoling people into buying locked & branded phones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

My method won't do that, it's just the link to the planet 3 portal. If an application requires 3 firmware it'll still require it but most don't. I've used the 3 skype client on a non-3 branded phone, it just has to be a model they sell, which the tocco is

How did you get that to work, because I just get an "Operation Failed" any time I try to download Skype from Today on 3 with my sim free W705 (which is supposed to support Skype).

dar83 wrote: »
    How did you get that to work, because I just get an "Operation Failed" any time I try to download Skype from Today on 3 with my sim free W705 (which is supposed to support Skype).

I did it on a Nokia E65 so I couldn't say what would be needed for a Sony Ericsson. It's also possible they've updated it since I did it so now it only works on phones with 3 firmware

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

dar83 wrote: »

The java skype client needs 3 certificates to work, and those are not present on an unbranded phone. If you were to use the symbian skype client from 3, it would work on any symbian phone.

flodis79 wrote: »
    The java skype client needs 3 certificates to work, and those are not present on an unbranded phone. If you were to use the symbian skype client from 3, it would work on any symbian phone.

That explains it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

ive been thinking of moving to three for a long time (Even more now they have web texts), but im worried that my mwg zinc II windows mobile 6.1 will be ok with data and the basic setup.

Advertisement