Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speed Ramps

Options
  • 22-07-2009 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭

I have made contact with Fingal County Council about providing speed ramps at specific locations, especially in new estates and on roads near the entrance to new estates. Got the standard reply, "its not in our programme of works this year"...........

The speeding in Rush which I thought had quietened down a bit seems to be as bad as ever. We have 4 new estates off the Main St and the amount of near misses I have seen its suprising there has not been a serious accident. We had a serious accident 2 weeks ago and I would not like to see anyone getting knocked down by some clown showing off to their mates.

How is the best way to pressurise the council into doing something?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

we are in serious need of speed bumps. same reply i got leob. the money just is not there to do it. i just report the speeders to the guards.

there are 3 car in particular in my estate that blatantly wheel spin and skid . its ridiculous as there is kidxskids that play there. speed bumps are needed on brook lane as it is a hot spot for this type of behaviour. that road is usually covered in muck from the tractors coming and going from the field and it would be hard to stop at the best of times.

Maybe leo if we draw up a list of places where we think we need bumps we could start a petition. and email them to the same contacts again. I would be up for that because its only a matter of time before someone is killed

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

LeoB wrote: »
    How is the best way to pressurise the council into doing something?

Lobby your local County Councillors, TDs, Senators.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Will start this week end with our community council:)

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Nodster

Hill Billy wrote: »
    Lobby your local County Councillors, TDs, Senators.

You voted them in - now make them work!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭wow sierra

No chance for 2009, unless you have already been approved. Start the lobby now for 2010 - I'm afraid it would be more likely to be 2011 the way funds are.

Your best bet is for to try to get warning signs. Operate through the local residents associations and maybe try to organise something. If these people live in your estate and you know where they live, try the guards. Or at least a nasty letter from the residents association ( obviously one that will be given to all the residents, not just the offenders)

By all means lobby the Councillors but if they promise you anything they are lying. Get on to the County Council directly and find out what the procedure is and maybe get things started.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

As was pointed out here before its important for residents associations to get individual households to write in so instead of have 1 letter from a residents assoc for 40 or 50 houses you might have 40 or 50 individual letters from residents.

There are not many residents assoc in Rush, just some of the new estates even some of these are not strong as a lot of the houses are rented.

Lobbying starts today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭QOTSA90

Now lads, I noticed 1 very big change here in Rush over the last 2 weeks. On the morning of the car crash in the harbour area I noticed the council putting up a steel metal fence to stop vehicles from getting onto the North beach, there's also gates in place all along the south beach and boulders blocking off all the small dirt roads leading onto it :) This is a welcome change, because as you can see just by standing on the South beach.. its a much safer place :)

Now, about the speeding. TWICE in the last myself and a mate were almost hit by cars speeding on the back lanes of Rush. One was a large Lexus drifting around a sand covered corner, and another was a large sports car speeding down the back lanes near 'Tayleurs point' and 'Old Barrack Lane'.

Is there really a way we can get the council to put speed bumps on the less frequently used roads?

Also, just last summer a man living in 'Knockabawn', the same estate as me, got into a massive amount of trouble over his driving habits when a number of residents called the Gards on him.

Good luck LeoB.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Why not try get the cops to do these people for speeding- That way the law abiding drivers won't suffer and anyone needing to be hospitalised by ambulance won't be delayed.

Advertisement