Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I've let my insurance run out!!!!

• 22-07-2009 3:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭

I can't believe I've actually done it. I was using my bike so little - and I happen to be broke at the minute - that I cancelled my insurance. So, after purchasing a Harley V-Rod 2 years ago and only putting approx 500mls up on it :eek:, I am no longer insured and it is just sitting out my back.

I will most likely come back to it again at some point. I've always loved bikes, and I'm sure I'll get the urge once more in time to come.
    At the moment I enjoy my car so much that I don't feel the need for the bike. I actually haven't driven the bike since I bought the car last September :eek: :eek:

So, what do I do with it?
    I'm not going to sell it for a retarded price, which seems to be the only option in the current market.
    I don't want to let it rot out the back either though (It's in a pretty decent enclosure, but I'm sure given enough time and lack of use it will go to ****e).

Is there any sort of storage facilities that would suit for a bike (that dont cost the world). Would a shop accept it in and try and sell it for me? I'm okay if they don't sell it.... they would keep it in good nick at least.

What would ye guys advise?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Drain all the fluids, cover it up and put it in your shed ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭n.catenthusiast

jimbling wrote: »

I'm not going to sell it for a retarded price,

I'll give you €50 for it.

Final offer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbaymusicman

Im sure you could find a decent shop that will hold it for you while trying to sell it at the same time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,790 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

..worse - after 2 years, you lose your all your NCB, and you'll have to start again. It'd be cheaper to insure it, even if you don't use it! - how long is it out ?
    Or, find a wreck of a moped and insure that. Do not under-value your NCB.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭Sputnik

galwaytt wrote: »
    ..worse - after 2 years, you lose your all your NCB, and you'll have to start again. It'd be cheaper to insure it, even if you don't use it! - how long is it out ?
    Or, find a wreck of a moped and insure that. Do not under-value your NCB.

Agreed but you don't even need to buy anything. Just make up the details of a moped/125 and insure that. Since it doesn't exist you can't crash it and you'll keep your NCB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Selling it now in a bad market as against selling it much older in a good market. There would be no advantage on holding it particularly. Put an ad up, recharge the battery, etc. Wait. How old? New? A shop can sell it for you, for a little price. Try it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭DonkeyRhubarb

Sputnik wrote: »
    Agreed but you don't even need to buy anything. Just make up the details of a moped/125 and insure that. Since it doesn't exist you can't crash it and you'll keep your NCB.

That's actually a good idea IMO. I always thought that if I was in that position Id get a cheap moped and insure that, but I never even though of just insuring nothing! Now thats a Sputnik shock!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭Lilliput69

jimbling wrote: »
    I can't believe I've actually done it. I was using my bike so little - and I happen to be broke at the minute - that I cancelled my insurance. So, after purchasing a Harley V-Rod 2 years ago and only putting approx 500mls up on it :eek:, I am no longer insured and it is just sitting out my back.

I will most likely come back to it again at some point. I've always loved bikes, and I'm sure I'll get the urge once more in time to come.
    At the moment I enjoy my car so much that I don't feel the need for the bike. I actually haven't driven the bike since I bought the car last September :eek: :eek:

So, what do I do with it?
    I'm not going to sell it for a retarded price, which seems to be the only option in the current market.
    I don't want to let it rot out the back either though (It's in a pretty decent enclosure, but I'm sure given enough time and lack of use it will go to ****e).

Is there any sort of storage facilities that would suit for a bike (that dont cost the world). Would a shop accept it in and try and sell it for me? I'm okay if they don't sell it.... they would keep it in good nick at least.

What would ye guys advise?

if ur going to keep it then drain the fluids, oil the chain, clean the bike really well and apply a decent coat of wax to the paint work, treat the seat with a suitable sealant, ensure the tyres are inflated, cover the bike where it isn't going to be affected by condensation or the elements.

personaly i would keep it insured, insurance is for theft too or fire, it would be a real kicker if something happened to it and it wasn't inssured at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

Lilliput69 wrote: »
    if ur going to keep it then drain the fluids, oil the chain, clean the bike really well and apply a decent coat of wax to the paint work, treat the seat with a suitable sealant, ensure the tyres are inflated, cover the bike where it isn't going to be affected by condensation or the elements.

personaly i would keep it insured, insurance is for theft too or fire, it would be a real kicker if something happened to it and it wasn't inssured at all

I wouldn't drain the fluids just get a fuel stabiliser and add it to whats in the tank and change the oil when you take it out again.
    I agree with everything else though. Grease and oil any where you would after a wash/service(cables, linkages etc)
    Disconnect the battery and put it on a trickle charger if you can. And if its left for a long time rotate the wheels every so often to save the bearings.

To be honest i would sell it and maybe pick up something cheap to insure and run to keep the NCD especially if its a few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭jimbling

Cheers for all the advice lads.

I do have it for sale..... see sig. Also, I have it on donedeal.ie.
    My point is that I'm not going to sell if for a silly price. I have been offered 7k for it but that was too low.

It's only run out a week, no worries on the NCB thing... I'll worry about that in two years. lol, in fact the reason I bought this bike was because my NCB running out.... it started me on a hunt that ended with the v-rod.

You know, I had kind of forgotten about the whole theft thing... it is quite vulnerable right now...hmm. I'll make a few calls this week about getting it shifted into a garage for a while.

• Advertisement
Advertisement