Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada VS Australia

Options
  • 22-07-2009 3:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Looking to migrate, wondering if anyone has information on whether to choose between Canada or Australia...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

canada is doing better economically and barely been affected by the recession, australia on other hand is like an US wanabee where things are rather expensive (hmm can say same thing about ireland i suppose)

tho the weather of course is different between the 2

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

I would pick Australia. Canada is "better" in many ways (economically for example), but Australia has that exotic quality to it I like. Also, I hear the people are more...fun. Plus you'd be so close to east Asia you could get cheap and exotic holidays whenever you wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Canada's banks appear to have weathered the storm, supposedly due to their conservative executives ?
    Australia, particularly Western Australia, became pretty dependent on the Chinese takeup of natural resources, since it's farming sector has been severly hit by droughts.

IMHO British Columbia is far nicer than any place in OZ and it is 12 odd hours flying time from Ireland whereas Oz is a lot longer.
    Also think of Canada as a kind of USA without the Americans ;)

I am not allowed discuss …

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

id go with oz , canada is and always has been a very rich and organised place but the people are boring , ive relatives in british colombia and they are exactly like the flanders family from the simpsons in every way shape and form , western canada is more conservative than eastern canada

beautifull country though and british colombia has quite a temperete cimate

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭podmu80

Canada

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭ybbi

Definitely head to Canada, been to Oz and it is a brillant country for a years holiday, but actually living there is a different proposition, the aussie's I found were very american like and rude. The weather and the scenic value are huge, the east coast it brillant to travel, there is a huge Irish community and growing rapidly with the irish recession.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

irish_bob wrote: »
    id go with oz , canada is and always has been a very rich and organised place but the people are boring , ive relatives in british colombia and they are exactly like the flanders family from the simpsons in every way shape and form , western canada is more conservative than eastern canada

beautifull country though and british colombia has quite a temperete cimate

Alberta is very conservative, BC is different, at least around Vancouver and larger cities.
    Remember they inhertited a lot of American hippies and they are biggest pot growing area in North America.
    Alberta AFAIK is the richest province in Canada and they don't want to share it with the likes of the easterners in Ontario or God forbid Quebec.
    They view BC as pot growing, weed smoking tree huggers.
    Calgary had lots of jobs, don't know about now but it is damm boring place :(
    ybbi wrote: »
    Definitely head to Canada, been to Oz and it is a brillant country for a years holiday, but actually living there is a different proposition, the aussie's I found were very american like and rude. The weather and the scenic value are huge, the east coast it brillant to travel, there is a huge Irish community and growing rapidly with the irish recession.

Aussies are damm loud and arrogant. They are friendly but in a "we are better" sort of way.
    I was there few years just when Kiwis beat them in cricket and they really don't like to be beaten, they are very sore losers.
    Canadians on other hand don't apepar to be good at much sport, apart form ice hockey.
    Of course someone will come back

I am not allowed discuss …

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

new zealand is a better choice than either australia or canada if your prepared to sacrafice riches for quality of life , you wont earn a fortune but an average wage goes quite far , they have lovely summers but not too hot , nice people , good food and without doubt the widest variety of topogrophy in the world for such a small country

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Lot more Irish in Austrailia aswel if that helps.

Advertisement