Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ale, Ale, Glorious Ale

• 22-07-2009 4:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭

I moved over to England last year and developed a love-relationship with ale. At first i loved it, bought all the different bottles i could find, drank it quite a bit. Then I got sick of it in pubs because its served at room temperature and I wanted it a little cooler. After a while of drinking cold bottles from the fridge however i began to realise that they all taste the same because they are cold!

Now I like it again, I cool bottles slightly (to about 10 degrees) and I really enjoy them.

My favourite ales in the UK are:

St. Peter's Ruby Red
    Ye Olde Tripe
    Hobgoblin
    Old Peculiar

Anyone else like ale (ive seen it appear in bug supermarkets like Tesco recently in Ireland, and its readily available in the North)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Beanstalk wrote: »
    its served at room temperature
    Sounds like you were going to the wrong pubs.It should be cellar temp, about 12C.
    Anyone else like ale (ive seen it appear in bug supermarkets like Tesco recently in Ireland, and its readily available in the North)
    And in Irish pubs, if you look around a bit. Galway Hooker FTW.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Thanks Beernut! Must look out for that one!

I know of other Irish Ales too, but I only really got into it when I moved here to England.

The pubs I go to serve cask ale just under the tap, i guess thats why i get it at room temp.

The pubs I go to serve cask ale just under the tap, i guess thats why i get it at room temp.
    Still wrong. Cask ale should be 12-14C. If you're really getting it at room temperature you should complain. It would be pretty horrible beer too, I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

You're right its just not as nice in pubs, but i definitely hae not seen any kind of cooling system in any of the pubs I went to! I should add that I have been to cask marque awarded pubs, so it must be, certainly doesn't seem like it though!

i definitely hae not seen any kind of cooling system in any of the pubs I went to!
    It would usually be in the cellar, or if the casks are in the bar it could be immersed in them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement