Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned from North County Dublin Forum

Options
  • 22-07-2009 4:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭

Iv been banned for 7 days from the North County Dublin Forum for 'backseat modding'.

A friend of mine posted a thread asking about the cheapest off-licences in North County Dublin, I was the first to reply in the thread. I jokingly asked would the OP mind if I linked the moderators to his bebo.

This was seen as backseat modding because obviously the moderator did not cop that myself and the OP are actually friends.

I know 7 days isnt a huge amount of time to be banned for, but that forum is one of only two forums that I am interested in posting in, here on boards.ie

Is there any way I could have my ban lifted?

edit: and yes Iv PM'd the moderator who banned me, it was him who suggested I post a topic here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

Did you PM the moderator and explain the situation?
    That would be the first course of action to take.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭QOTSA90

Yes, read over my first post again plz.

So can anyone help me out here? Id really like to get posting in the forums again asap, as a few threads of the threads active concern my immediate local area and I would like to be able to contribute to the threads.

cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

And how is the moderator supposed to "cop" that your friends?

We don't employ psychics. They have to take what you write at face value, and make a judgement on that. What is obvious to you, isn't going to be obvious to those on the outside.

If anything, I'd take it as a salutary lesson to be more careful with your in-jokes in future.

(Also, two hours between posts? We're not here 24/7 waiting for your call. Don't jump up and down demanding attention) :)

Ok, well I PM'd him explainin that we're friends and he came across as almost hostile and very belittling. I still think its a bit un-fair that Im being banned for a week for something that I have made very clear was a mistake on my part.

And still, noone has made it clear whether I am being sympathized with here.. Id really like the ban to be lifted, because I think at this point you understand that Iv learned from my mistake and will think my future posts out more clearly..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

If I may...

QOTSA90 replied to a thread about where to purchase low cost alcohol locally by implying that the OP was under-age & suggesting that he may send a link to the forum mods to the OPs Bebo page.

Had he read the Forum Charter he would have known to use the Report Post function if he had an issue with the thread.

I banned QOTSA90 for 7 days for back-seat modding. He then PM'd me stating that obviously I didn't realise that he & the OP were friends & he was only joking.

I replied that obviously he did not realise that boards.ie is not Bebo & the ban stands (if for no other reason than to deter him from acting the muppet again).

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

And still, noone has made it clear whether I am being sympathized with here..

We're not here to sympathize with either party. We're here to adjudicate.
    Id really like the ban to be lifted

Well, I'm sure all banned users would like that. However, if we did that, it would kind of cancel out the point of our moderators banning in the first place.

As I said - you've learned a lesson about the social norms of boards.ie vs other sites if nothing else. Had the ban been for months or permanent etc, I'd probably overrule it as being over the top. I'd suggest that Hill Billy reduces it to a 3/4 days as I think you have learned that lesson, but I'm not going to force him to do so either.

Advertisement