Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Laquer peeling off

• 22-07-2009 4:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hey guys,

I've a problem with some laquer peeling off me car. It's a mark IV golf, 04, gti, 150bhp, 5 dr red. I got a quote for both front doors, back door drivers side and back quarter panel for 400. In some of the cases the laquer has actually came off and in other cases its just like a bubble. Now I hope to sell the car soon so that is the only reason I'm getting it re-sprayed, have I any other options than to re-spray it the panels?

Now I know most people will say it's been crashed but i got it checked over by a panel beater and he said it wasn't crashed before. His only suggestion was that it was a bad batch of laquer or something, he was also spraying a red 04 A4 at the time with the same story. Anyone ever heard of this before or any experience? Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭ronanc15

Try a good compound and some elbow grease before forking out for the respray!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Mike...

Yeah I managed to do the same to the mothers Civic when I started driving first,
    The car was nearly washed twice a day and with all the crap that was being put on some parts of paint started to peel...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

I had a 99 TDI Passat, Laquer peeled something terrible, was red too. I've been told this happens to mostly red cars and can also be caused by washing with harsh chemicals.. I'd washed it weekly with domestic washing up lquid for about six years, I'd say this did the trick..

Now I use proper car wash solution and mix in 25% wax as well... Lesson learned :rolleyes:

Cheers..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 damn79

ronanc15 wrote: »
    Try a good compound and some elbow grease before forking out for the respray!

Have you any recommendations on what type of compound to use and would I get it in a car shop? I'll try any amount of elbow grease if it saves me a few quid! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭Neilw

damn79 wrote: »
    Have you any recommendations on what type of compound to use and would I get it in a car shop? I'll try any amount of elbow grease if it saves me a few quid! :D

A compound won't be any use, the only way to cure lacquer peel is a respray.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 damn79

Neilw wrote: »
    A compound won't be any use, the only way to cure lacquer peel is a respray.

Some dots haven actually peeled yet, there are dots about the print of an index finger which haven come up yet but you can see they are white, like a bubble inside. Any ways to fix these other than re-spray? Like I know I'll have to get the front 2 doors done anyways but the back quater panel and back door is not too bad, if I could manage to get a quick fix done on these I'd be happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

Hey guys,

I've a problem with some laquer peeling off me car. It's a mark IV golf, 04, gti, 150bhp, 5 dr red. I got a quote for both front doors, back door drivers side and back quarter panel for 400. In some of the cases the laquer has actually came off and in other cases its just like a bubble. Now I hope to sell the car soon so that is the only reason I'm getting it re-sprayed, have I any other options than to re-spray it the panels?

Now I know most people will say it's been crashed but i got it checked over by a panel beater and he said it wasn't crashed before. His only suggestion was that it was a bad batch of laquer or something, he was also spraying a red 04 A4 at the time with the same story. Anyone ever heard of this before or any experience? Cheers

04 ?? is there no warranty on the bodywork?? ten years or anything. Get onto VW on it pronto..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭Neilw

Some dots haven actually peeled yet, there are dots about the print of an index finger which haven come up yet but you can see they are white, like a bubble inside. Any ways to fix these other than re-spray? Like I know I'll have to get the front 2 doors done anyways but the back quater panel and back door is not too bad, if I could manage to get a quick fix done on these I'd be happy.

The reason the spots are gone white is because moisture has worked it's way under the clearcoat, this will spread and cause the clearcoat to lift. A respray is the only way to fix it properly.
    tred wrote: »
    04 ?? is there no warranty on the bodywork?? ten years or anything. Get onto VW on it pronto..

Sounds like there was a previous repair done to the car and done badly, if this is the case vw won't have anything to do with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

Neilw wrote: »
    The reason the spots are gone white is because moisture has worked it's way under the clearcoat, this will spread and cause the clearcoat to lift. A respray is the only way to fix it properly.

Sounds like there was a previous repair done to the car and done badly, if this is the case vw won't have anything to do with it.

Didnt he say it wasnt??. It sounds like it is, but if hes convinced its not....?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭hi_sir

does sound like a bad repair spray job you can rub as much compound into it it ill do damm all good the fact is the laquer is fuc.ked and a respray is the on repair

• Advertisement
Advertisement