Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

U2 GIG. ticketmaster notice

• 22-07-2009 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭

I am going to the U2 gig on Friday next and Cameras With More Than 111 Lens are not allowed in.
    Could someone please advise what len(es) I could bring.
    Regards
    Aidan18

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭YourName

Why arn't they allowed in???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Why would you bring 111 lenses to a gig

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Bring 110 lenses ?

Seriously, it isn't entirely clear what you're saying here. Whats the actual text of the restriction from ticketmaster ?

Bring 110 lenses ?

Seriously, it isn't entirely clear what you're saying here. Whats the actual text of the restriction from ticketmaster ?
    CAMERAS WITH MORE THAN 1" LENS, VIDEO
    CAMERAS & AUDIO RECORDING DEVICES

http://www.mcd.ie/home/fn.php?c=1779037&ar=u2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭leche solara

Found this on Ticketmaster site. Not sure if its specific to U2 though.

*Before entering, all patrons will be subject to a search in a manner permissible under the law. In the interests of public safety were offensive materials are found, anyone refusing to consent to personal search will be denied entry. *The making of a recording of a performers performance without prior consent in writing is a criminal offence. The use of cameras or recording equipment is prohibited.

Thank You for you co-operation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭bullpost

I think he is saying you can't have more than one lens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

bullpost wrote: »
    I think he is saying you can't have more than one lens.

or perhaps (from Tallon) a camera with more than a 1 INCH lens, which makes even less sense. What is that, in size ?? in Focal length ? Anything > 25.4mm lens = no entry :confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭aidan18

here's the script.. thanks for you help guys..

Strict security checks are in operation. The following items will not be permitted: Umbrellas, Banners Or Flags Larger than A4, Laser Pointers, Glowsticks, Flashlights, Inflatable balls or Balloons, Weapons, Fireworks, Glass or Cans, Alcohol, Furniture, Studs & Spikes, Shooting Sticks, Cameras With More Than 111 Lens,
    Aidan18

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

I'd imagine that it's no more than 1" in length.....to save on joe punter having his eyes gouged out with 500mm lenses. :D

text.jpg

The 1 inch lens makes sense. I thinkl i'll leave the dslr @ home.
    thanks again
    Aidan18

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Hearvee

It seems to be sayin 1¹¹, i.e as in 1 to the power of 11.
    No idea what it actually means though, have tried googling it and all it brings up is questions about U2 Gigs... but most links seem to think it means P&S is ok, but anything SLR looking is probably a no-go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭thebiglad

I was at Bon Jovi in 2007 (?) at Croke Park with Canon EOS350 and standard lens (18-55mm) - it was checked at the turnstile (right next to the sign about no photography...) and nothing was said.

For this concert I was in Gold Circle - i.e. premium ticket area in front of stage.

During early part of concert, taking photos like everyone else I was 'removed' by Security who wanted to view the photos - I refused and they advised that I would be ejected from the concert - now by this time I had missed 1 song and we were into a 2nd one!

They eventually gave me 2 options either delete the photos taken, return to the concert and take no more or, delete photos and return to general area when I could take all the photos I wanted from further back.

The other option was to have the camera confiscated and be ejected from the concert anyhow.

I did argue that I had attended loads of concerts with this camera and taken photos (including the support acts at this concert) - they said that Bon Jovi have given specific instructions and it was not negotiable.

In any other situation I would have put up a longer argument but I was missing the concert I had paid a lot to see.

Basically unless you have a compact camera not worth risking the hassle - this really ruined the concert for me, I lost my place, I was extremely pissed off and missed a small part of the concert.

If you are in the General Admission then there is a chance they will not see you but, is it worth it, just go & enjoy the music.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

At the paris shows, there wasnt any issue with DSLR camera's, then again, I didnt see people with camera bags and 10lenses etc. I brought by Fuji s8000, with 16x optical zoom, and pictures were good enough quality for me.

I Think I'll chance the small compact canon that I bought years ago. The seats are in row D upp Cusack close to stage I might still get a few half decent ones.
    Thanks again for the comments guys

Lads, it means exactly what it says, no lenses more than an inch long, i.e. DSLR, bridge cameras etc.

P&S ONLY (Basically)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

the rules are simple... no photography, they let it slide with point and shoots usually, your only gonna make trouble bringing a slr, and complaining bout getting booted out or asked to delete images really doesnt make sense, when you know you did not have permission. simple as

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

ill be shoving the G10 down the front of my trousers then just before i go in.
    They dont search around that region

The 70-200 might be more difficult to conceal :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

ill be shoving the G10 down the front of my trousers then just before i go in.
    They dont search around that region

The 70-200 might be more difficult to conceal :p

I dunno....though I'd advise not putting it down the rear of your trousers :p:pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Well it is MCD after all.

I would just not pay them my money to go & see an expensive Pub Band from a long way away. My preference would be to see a real Pub Band up close where there is no problem with taking a Camera.

thanks again guys It was the 111 lens bit that threw me on the website (ticketmaster) . I will take the P&S with me and take no chances

• Advertisement

CabanSail wrote: »
    Well it is MCD after all.

Oh yeah, we can talk about them now, :mad::mad::mad:
    CabanSail wrote: »
    My preference would be to see a real Pub Band up close where there is no problem with taking a Camera.

i love that so much, especially a nice small country pub, great drink, bit of trad music and late bar :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,507 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

They know that they can do nothing about people whipping P&S cameras out of their pockets and handbags so compact cameras are ok but it would be nice if they checked their website to see if the text was legible or not. It looks like the text was dropped in from some WP program, they must have put a fada on the 'i' of 'Gardai' because that got messed up as well.

The text about the U2 concert is peppered with website names which is thoughtful of them but none of them are clickable links.

I'd still not be 100% sure what they mean though, it could be 'cameras with more than one lens'??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

It boils down to;

a) The security guard searching you

b) Common sense

Different security guards will have different opinions, if you have a small lens, that might be ok, or some give the line "anything with a detachable lens ain't allowed", or "no professional cameras" or some say none at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 437 ✭✭tororosso

Basically if your camera looks like it can take a decent photo then hide it or dont bring it!!!
    Used to try bringing my DSLR to concerts but then just got tired of the hassle and worry about being in possession of a camera that might get a nice photograph of a band that could "potentially" be used for commercial purposes ....Sigh
    Remember sneaking my Canon 400D with Sigma 50-500(:eek:) lens into Aerosmith in Marlay Park a few years back :pac: Came away with some great shots but the James Bond-esque antics of me getting in and blending in with the crowd was a lot of effort!! Not to mention the fact that the camera is put at risk in a crowd of thousand of people jumping up and down on drink!
    Stopped going to gigs a while back as the money saved pays for lenses instead :)

Most security guards dont care about cameras as long as your not causing trouble but its fairly boring work and they may target your camera if they are just plain bored....they also tend to ignore the point and shoot cameras unless they are being held in the one place for more than a few minutes as they are deemed to be taking videos...

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭kgpixels

Was going to bring the 40D on mon night, think I'll dust off the old PS45 instead!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

you're going to U2 why do you want to bring a camera with you. I've recently stopped bringing my P&S to concerts and I've had a much better time. I did get annoyed with the amount of people there with there camera's stuck up in the air restricting my view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

how about just bringin your camera phone and challenging yourself to take interesting photos with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,507 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Have to agree with trishw78 (and not because she's a mod, mind). U2 won't be out until 9 p.m. at which stage it will be pretty dark for taking long distance outdoors shots so the only excuse for taking a camera will be to snap your friends in which case a decent phone camera should do the biz.

A queue was starting to form outside Holy Cross College at the junction of Jones Road & Clonliffe Road today when I was passing at about 3:30 p.m. Thursday, a full 24 hours before the gates open for the Friday concert, God bless them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

coylemj wrote: »
    A queue was starting to form outside Holy Cross College at the junction of Jones Road & Clonliffe Road today when I was passing at about 3:30 p.m. Thursday, a full 24 hours before the gates open for the Friday concert, God bless them!

:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

yeah just back from the stage build there, ts hilarious all the punters out there camped up... strange world we live in, the set up it MENTAL, 24 follow spots alone, the stage is really something special, i hate the band, but the show will be awesome

poor souls queueing all night in that rain. thanks again all for the input. Leaving Kildare about 2pm have a few scoops in Dublin city centre and head to croker about 6.30 and catch some of the great Damian Dempsey armed with raingear and small digital camera. just in case. Anything half decent will be posted on pix.ie\aidan18

Not a drop of rain at the gig from 7pm (from when i arrived in Dublin). There was an Asian lad beside me last night - who definitely wasn't press - who had his full backpack with him. Short of the playstation, he must of had every electrical device he owned with him. Very fancy video (phone?) device, a normal video Camera and a DLSR were just a few of the things i spotted. The camera definitely had a lens bigger than the 2"s quoted over the gate.

Don't think it would be worth the bother thou.....

I took the below shot from my phone and its in the random thread --> click

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

took the below shot from my phone and its in the random thread

Where's little Bono? Can't see him in it :)

I'm going tonight & will bring a P&S, I'm up in some box or other so should be fun regardless of the weather, looks fine though.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭thatsnotmyname

Great gig last night
    very impressive show !

Loads of guys walking around with DSLR's around their necks :D they looked like tourist's ! !

here is the best i could do with my old point and shoot !
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/24723443@N04/sets/72157621814691908/

got a few shots too with me little p&s there posted on www.pix.ie/aidan18
    A truly great gig.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

thats a great photo getting the crowd in a good way

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24723443@N04/3753887080/in/set-72157621814691908/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

I had no trouble bringing my Sony DSC-H5 (bridge) camera in. I brought it in a camera bag and made no effort to hide it. I wasn't even searched!

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭_sparkie_

i was working there all day yesterday and the amount of dslr's i saw was crazy, it might as well have been a camera convention. so if anybody is going on monday, dont worry about bringing in a camera.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

I can see bands/artists in the future banning mobile phones & cameras from concerts.....
    You can imagine as they gase out at their fans and all the see is x0,000 arms raised up taking photos. :eek:
    I know bands playing live (especially U2) like to interact with their fans, but it must be frustrating if all they see is a 'mass' of hands wielding a 'mass' of phones/cameras ! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭mobileblog

Phones are the new lighters. I think Bono asked all to bring out their phones during one song, think it was One

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭_sparkie_

mobileblog wrote: »
    Phones are the new lighters. I think Bono asked all to bring out their phones during one song, think it was One

he did indeed and he did it five years ago when they played the vertigo tour. it would be very wrong of u2 to ban camera phones from their concerts seeing as the 360 tour is sponsored by blackberry and the fact that they had stalls all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 PC - Dublin

I was at the concert last night (Saturday). Most people had a camera (mainly P&S). Lots had DSLRs with all types of lenses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Here are some of my shots from Sat night, taken with my Samsung Tocco. I didn't want to take a chance and bring my DSLR in case I was refused - disappointed that I didn't.

I enjoyed the gig, mainly for the stage and video screen. TBH I could take or leave Bono, especially at the concert end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41 kayakboy

No Photos Please!! U2 monday night...
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/kayakboy/3772273182/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 MaGrOtTeN

Why would anybody want to go to a U2 concert?

MaGrOtTeN wrote: »
    Why would anybody want to go to a U2 concert?
    facepalm.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Music forum is thataway --->

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 MaGrOtTeN

Why should U2 be in the music forum?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

thebiglad wrote: »
    I was at Bon Jovi in 2007 (?) at Croke Park with Canon EOS350 and standard lens (18-55mm) - it was checked at the turnstile (right next to the sign about no photography...) and nothing was said.

I think you were just behind me. We just used a p&s and were grand. It is the fact that sometimes the band do not want their performance disturbed by cameras or their fans enjoyment disturbed by someone trying to get the best shot.

I have been given a pass for Metallica, a friend is supporting them and I was told that no cameras were allowed backstage as per Metallica request! The lads would have like some pics but can't be done because of this. It is often a bands choice more so than the security.

I would say p&s all the way OP. Even with a pass at a gig before I was given my 3 songs and was not allowed to take the camera from the bag for the rest of the gig.

I have been given a pass for Metallica, a friend is supporting them and I was told that no cameras were allowed backstage as per Metallica request!

i have never shot a mcd gig where that was allowed... very much a nono, especally with aging bands... fear of wrinkles and zimmerframes

• Advertisement
Advertisement