Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Faulty Computer

Options
  • 22-07-2009 4:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭

Ok, we bought a computer from Harvey Norman back in March. It is an a6632uk HP pavillion computer. The graphics card is a Nvidia geforce 9500gs, which is infamous for huge amounts of sound. After trying HP for them to repair it, we organized a collection time and date - They didn't show.

We are going to go to Harvey Norman tomorrow with the reciept.. Is that a good option? What can we except in the amount of time until it is repaired? Or will they give us a replacement right then and there? Or a refund right then and there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Harvey Norman should be your initial point of contact as that is where you purchased the PC.

HN can repair, refund or replace at their discretion if there is a genuine fault with the PC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Your chances of getting a replacement or refund from Harvey Norman, are very slim. Faulty computers do have to go through HP for repairs/replacement, and since it's at least four months since purchase date they (HP) will almost certainly insist on a repair. I'm sure if you ask Harvey's, they will deal with HP for you, since HP aren't exactly the easiest to deal with from past experiences! (well actually, you're within your rights to insist the retailer, ie HN, deal with the repair procedure completely)

BTW. HP don't actually collect units from you themselves. They will either arrange DHL to pick up the unit, or more usually, get you to contact DHL yourself to set up the collection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭CutzEr

Yes, they arranged DHL to pick up my computer. Didn't show. So I will take my chances and bring it to harvey's tomorrow :/ Should I just bring the tower? Obviously, I wouldn't take the monitor or anything, but should I bring the power lead to demonstrate the problem?

Yes, hand over only the tower to Harvey. This is all HP will want. Anything else that goes in the carton to HP (cables, accessories etc.) generally don't get returned!

Ok, thankyou :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Pretty sure Harvey have a policy to repair within a certain ammount of time or you can ask for a replacement. Friend of mine went down that route (he had a family member working there). Might be worth asking about too.

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Pretty sure Harvey have a policy to repair within a certain ammount of time or you can ask for a replacement. Friend of mine went down that route (he had a family member working there). Might be worth asking about too.

Thanks, will ask about that aswell :)

Am I entitled by consumer law to demand a replacement instead of a repair?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

CutzEr wrote: »
    Have you any particular reason why you think a replacement is necessary?

axer wrote: »
    Have you any particular reason why you think a replacement is necessary?
    Fan is faulty on Graphics card. Makes massive grinding noise near 24/7.

Also - because of this, the temperature of the computer is increased which leads to a decrease in performance.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Repair, replace or refund, its upto Harvey Norman not you,

If you can perhaps provide them with documented factual evidence of a known issue with the card (something from nvidia perhaps rather then some random forum posts) then you might have more look

Fan is faulty on Graphics card. Makes massive grinding noise near 24/7.
    But if they fix the fan then the problem is solved thus what is the specific need for a replacement? I would think in this instance you would try and let them fix the problem first and if the fix is not permanent then demand a replacement or refund.

Cabaal wrote: »
    Repair, replace or refund, its upto Harvey Norman not you,
    Thats not true. The law decides because it all depends on the circumstances.

http://www.consumerconnect.ie/eng/Hot_Topics/FAQs/Faulty-goods/
    If you purchase faulty goods, you are entitled to seek one of the three forms of redress outlined in the question above. The legislation does not state who chooses the form of redress.If a repair is offered and accepted, then it should be permanent. If not, and the same fault occurs again, the buyer is entitled to seek another form of redress.
    If you are not happy with the seller's final offer you have a right to take legal action. A case can be taken through the Small Claims Court for amounts up to and including €2,000.
    It should be borne in mind, though, that if the seller has made a reasonable offer to you, the court would most likely take this into account. There are no hard and fast rules and each case has to be taken on its own merits.

• Company Representative Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Gamesnash.ie: Pat

As mentioned in a seperate thread when a customer brings a faulty item back to a retailer the retailer is obliged to offer one of the three R's - a repair, replacement or refund. A customer can choose to reject this offer and take a claim up with the small claims court or higher court if neccessary who will then decide the outcome.

Likewise the retailer can decide to dispute the fault - they may feel its user damage etc and decide not to enter negotiations with the customer at that time at which point the customer can seek a judgement from the court.

At no time is the retailer who agrees that there is a fault obliged to offer a refund because the customer does not want a replacement or repair. They can offer any of the three R's above at their discretion. If they have offered one of the 3 options and these have been rejected the court case will not get very far. ( unless there were complications like multiple repairs etc )

But surely harvey would just give it to HP, and since there are so many parties involved, I wouldn't have my pc for over a month?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

But surely harvey would just give it to HP, and since there are so many parties involved, I wouldn't have my pc for over a month?

Yes, a repair will be sent back to HP, and you will have to wait. Get HN to tell you how long they expect it to take, in writing and get them to guarantee it. The repair must be done in a reasonable time, but I don't think "reasonable" is defined. I would say 2 weeks is reasonable, any longer is starting to get unreasonable.

If HN won't commit to anything in writing, or even verbally, then you may want to start considering other options. As Pat from Gamesnash says though, your refusal to meet them half way might go against you in a small claims case.

I highly doubt you will be without your PC for that length of time. Previous dealings with HP, as part of where I used to work, generally yielded turnarounds of about 7-10 days (incl. Saturday & Sunday), from the time it's picked up from the store, to the time it's dropped back repaired. Just make sure HN get on the case with HP immediately to get your PC out of the store ASAP! You may also want to get HN to give you the HP case number once they book it with HP, that way you can check up on its status yourself.

Advertisement