Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish student abroad - don't know what to think about the corrib protests?

Options
  • 22-07-2009 5:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I'm from cork, only been to mayo once. I'm studying in scotland and I've been looking up any site i can find info on the protests and at first was totally with the protest people., the gardai out number them to the point that its just over kill and bullying and then i heard about 3 fishermen having their boat sunk, and left to fend for tehmselves, which i view as attempted murder.

But then I come on here and people from mayo say that the vast majority support it.

Can any one from the area give me a level headed review of whats happening not ' tree huggers' protesting or ' evil nazi shell' just sort of, do the people of the west realy benefit from this?

I have, and always will hate the gardaí, I think they're shambolic, second class police compared to most of european police organisations. They're under trained, over violent, and always under-educated. I'm sorry but I've seen the academic requirements and they dont match what I see as the power given to the police.

Is it just the heavy handed tactics used by police that are turning me off? I also read bout the shell 'security force' having attacked people.

Can any one tell me if the gardaí are really this bad there all the time? I've read that they're even heavy handed to onlookers.

What do they do exactly?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭nayorleck114

Don't believe all you hear in the media. There are 4 or 5 Local people against it (your usual NIMBY's) and then you have the hippi eco-warriors. They want the terminal moved out to sea.

Personally the thing is fine, safer for workers to be on land and not have to take helicopters to work.

It has brought a lot of work to local community.

The Gards have been fine. I think the numbers are more for show (as there were a lot of protests last year).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

See here for some info on this debacle:

http://www.corribsos.com/index.php?id=2&type=page

Ireland the country that gives away its childrens resources and futures for penuts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

5 or 6 poeple have legitimate concerns, along come the Shinners and tree huggers to blow things out of proportion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

I have no connection with Gardai, but to contradict the poster from Scotland I know that a number of Gardai are well educated, some to University degree standard.

At Rossport/Glengad some of the protesters do their utmost to provoke retaliation from Gardai.

Majority of the county are for this project.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I have, and always will hate the gardaí, I think they're shambolic, second class police compared to most of european police organisations. They're under trained, over violent, and always under-educated. I'm sorry but I've seen the academic requirements and they dont match what I see as the power given to the police.

I was wondering how you found the time to personally over 14000 men and women's professional qualifications, psychological profile, and educational history? All while studying?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭greengreen

If you want to see what the guards have to put up with check out youtube where protesters spat at and shouted at guards with glee when one of the aletterkenny guards (originally from Mayo) was killed by a joyrider. It was a new low by the Corrib protesters. I was like you at the start and was pro the protesters but what i've seen since has changed my mind.
    as for the guards my views have also changed
    remember
    1. They represent us so disrespect to them is a two fingers to Ireland.
    2. The follow orders give from politicians that we elect.
    3. Believe it or not a nhuge amount of cops have degrees and many senior gardai are doctors in policing as you would expect.
    4. These guys go out to every situation unarmed.
    5. Was in Prague recently on a stag when 2 friends who were walking along were attacked by police and violently hit then they just walked away give me a garda anyday.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

OP - I do question your motives on this post to be honest. To cage guards as been uneducated is a bit rich to be honest.

As the other said its a small minority who along with a bunch of tree huggers a serial protesters are a pain in the head down there.

What should be looked at is how many of them are on the dole and have looked for work, some how I think the results would be interesting to say the least.

Advertisement