Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Peugeot 307

• 22-07-2009 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

I am considering buying a Peugeot 307 1.4 petrol about 2003/2004. Any opinions on what these cars are like regarding engine/electrical faults ? Are they relaible.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Mike...

Peugeot as with most french car merkers produce cars prone to all kinds of faults,
    IMO your better off getting a Golf or a Jap car.
    I always found that anything that can go wrong,and some things you never expect, will go wrong with french cars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

ryange wrote: »
    I am considering buying a Peugeot 307 1.4 petrol about 2003/2004. Any opinions on what these cars are like regarding engine/electrical faults ? Are they relaible.

Think you've hit the nail on the head there tbh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 baldyback

I had two from new - an 01 and an 04. Had very few problems wit the first one but the secont one was a disaster. Was recalled so man times and had so many electrical end engine problems. Turned me off Pug for ever. They are also powerless and not very good to drive. The depreciation was savage when I Traded the second one against a VW too.

My advice is to look around - there are much better cars out there for similar money!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Row

I had one for a year or so...I wasn't mad about it...:(
    it was 1.4 hdi 70bhp ..great on diesel but was poor on acceleration.
    Theres plenty on them here... http://www.peugeotcentral.co.uk/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewforum&f=7&pc_tzo=3600&pc_d=20090722&pc_t=66107

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

My brother has one (1.4 petrol) and the gearbox went shortly after he bought it. However, 3 years on and he's had no other problems with it.

I drive a Renault and never had a problem with it or any of the other previous 7 renaults I've owned. However, I had driveshaft problems with a Toyota, electrical problems with an Opel and as for the Fiat Bravo I owned for 6 months, I haven't the time to list all those problems. My point being that any make of car can have problems and scapegoating "French" cars is bs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,479 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

There are better options out there - i.e everything else.

these are trash, only matched in that class by the Megane.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭quattro777

We've had 4 (all from new) 2 petrol and 2 diesel since 2005.

No problems with any of them.

The 1.4 petrol is underpowered though.

how long did you have each one for?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭high horse

With French cars, you'll get a lot of people who slate them but also a lot of people who like them a lot. The problem with researching a car online is that generally people only post when they have problems.
    I had a Peugeot 406 TD a few years back. Good car, never had any problems with it. Obviously not the same car as a 307 but thats my 2 cents worth anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭quattro777

colm_mcm wrote: »
    how long did you have each one for?

Still have 3 of them in the family, one was stolen.

• Advertisement

I'm basing my opinion on reliability surveys and ones we sold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 del-bhoy

ryange wrote: »
    Do not Buy a 307, THEY HAVE TO BE ONE OF THE BIGGEST BAGS OF SH*T Going, Electrical problems,1.4 petrol model very low on power, Back doors wont open both sides, Indicator stalks break, bad on bushes really sore, crankshaft position sensors do i need to go on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭mountain

They are rubbish, we have had one for the past few years, only reason we still have it, is cos they are worth nothing on a trade in.

Avoid at all costs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭Moanin

I had a 2002 diesel one for 4 years and put 120K miles on it.It never gave me a bit of bother and was one of the most comfortable cars that I have driven.My brother in law now has it and has put another 50 k miles on it with no problems........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Almost every one I ever drove had the broken indicator fault. Really cheap components, low on power, far better out ther for the same money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Some of the early petrol ones suffer from an oil leak from the HG. There's an upgraded HG available to fix the problem, the car might already have this fitted... Check for oil leaks around the block...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Missus has a 05 one, its been ok so far, I hated the car at first, but they are actually comfortable to drive and soak up any road imperfections very well. Its very economical and low tax plus has loads of space in the back and boot is very big..cost nothing except tyres and servicing in the two years we've owned it.

Touch wood !

Advertisement