Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Drogheda In Louth Or Meath ?

Options
  • 22-07-2009 5:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭

?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Louth.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭D rog

Some of it's in the religious diocese of Meath I think.
    But geographically Louth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭gipi

The centre of town is in Louth, some of the suburbs are in Meath.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

Just past the Boyne Valley Hotel (at Stameen) you can see signs going southbound, 'Welcome to County Meath'. Beamore Road just as you pass under the railway bridge on left, (Millmount Estate) is in Co. Meath

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭TommyT

The new motorway bridge that is used on the Louth crest, surely half of that bridge is in Meath?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Stillnotworking

Highlands on the Rathmullen Road is in Meath and River bank on the other side of the road is Louth, also St Olievers School is louth. Not sure of the rest of the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭gonker

Highlands on the Rathmullen Road is in Meath and River bank on the other side of the road is Louth, also St Olievers School is louth. Not sure of the rest of the town.

Yes that is true. The back wall of my garden is nearly on the border between Louth and Meath according to google earth

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,759 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Drogheda is in Louth - the centre of the town, all of the north and 70% of the suburbs to the south. Some of the newest estates south of the town are in Meath.

The county boundary should be extnded to include these estates IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

The Louth county boundary is as far vas Stameen beamore Donore Rd a nd out as far as the plunketts pitch on the Slane rd , people think the Boyne splits louth and meath it doesnt, drive around these roads and look carefully and you will find some of the county boundary stone markers,is Louth not small enough .
    BTW the Wolfe tones pitch at platin rd is in co meath.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭southlouth type

eirman wrote: »
    ?

what a stupid question for someone who either lives or god forbid actually comes from louth :rolleyes: unless your on the windup .

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Leave it out southlouth type, it's a fair question that I've seen asked before.

Leave it out southlouth type, it's a fair question that I've seen asked before.

Its a stupid question imo .Its pretty common knowledge that the town boundry extends into parts of east meath , but anyone who dosent know what county Drogheda is in who lives in ardee is either on the wind up or needs to go back to school .I suspect the wind up :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Famous45

on the windup

This.

Reason why I ain't wasted my time posting till now.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I didn't ask for your opinion, I asked you to leave it out.

Edit/ some advice to anyone else that this thread is bothering, don't read or post in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭gipi

Having seen another thread from the OP, I think that the question is genuine. eirman is in business of some kind and asked about advertising - so it's fair to assume that s/he wants to know where to advertise (as in Louth or Meath papers, for instance) for a Drogheda audience.

Having seen another thread from the OP, I think that the question is genuine. eirman is in business of some kind and asked about advertising - so it's fair to assume that s/he wants to know where to advertise (as in Louth or Meath papers, for instance) for a Drogheda audience

Yes I agree.

I made another response earlier to Magnolia and soon deleted it when I also checked out that post. Seems genuine enough now.

and in turn the answer to the question is both.

The likes of Highlands, River Bank and other estates in similar locality are in the diocese of Donore, which is in Meath, but Donore's address is Donore, Drogheda, Co Meath because there is 2 Donore's in Meath.

In relation to advertising if you want to advertise to Meath, you would use the Meath Chronicle to cover the total area of that county.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭therewillbe

Its in louth ,THANK GOD:D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Here is a map. North of the big green line is Louth, south of the big green line is Meath.

drogheda.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Stealdo

Just looking at that map I remembered something I may never had heard.

Did the county border originally run along the banks of the river and was changed before when Drogheda expanded south of the river?

I'm sure someone told me before (I'm a blow in) that the parts of the town south of the boyne are relatively new.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Stealdo wrote: »
    Just looking at that map I remembered something I may never had heard.

Did the county border originally run along the banks of the river and was changed before when Drogheda expanded south of the river?

I'm sure someone told me before (I'm a blow in) that the parts of the town south of the boyne are relatively new.

I think you're right - I have an aunty who used to live in Droghda who thought that the county borders ran along the Boyne. They must have moved them south to keep the town from being bisected.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,759 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I think the Louth/Meath boundary was extended to its current line about 15 to 20 years ago.

AFAIK the River Boyne did form the original Meath/Louth boundary, but Louth was extended a little bit south of the river many decades ago, and was gradually extended from then on.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭DYLF

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Drogheda is in Louth - the centre of the town, all of the north and 70% of the suburbs to the south. Some of the newest estates south of the town are in Meath.

The county boundary should be extnded to include these estates IMO.

as far as i know there is talk of the border being extended next year. not 100% on that thought. you can get a map they shows the louth/meath border on the drogheda borough website

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Madflah

Wont happen as County Meath will not relinquish any revenue generated by the expansion of Drogheda into Meath eg business rates, building levies etc unless of course they are forced to with a general redrawing of county boundaries nationally.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭DamoDLK

Jaysus - if Meath want it that badly they can have it!!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭musicfan

The motor tax office in Drogheda does not issue motor tax certs for certain estates in Drogheda - (don't know the list off the top of my head) - you have to go to Navan instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭DYLF

duleek actually is the closest motor tax office to drogheda

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 joker1

As far as I know, the Thatch pub on Donore Road used to be in Co. Meath but the boundary was moved when they built Cedarfield......not sure if this is true or not...

• Advertisement

joker1 wrote: »
    As far as I know, the Thatch pub on Donore Road used to be in Co. Meath but the boundary was moved when they built Cedarfield......not sure if this is true or not...

nonsense .The tatch pub has proudly flown a louth flag for generations .

Advertisement